NWN on old iMac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mono1980, Feb 15, 2005.

1. mono1980 macrumors 6502

I have been getting into Neverwinter Nights recently and want a friend to play along with me. His system does not support the minimum requirements, but they seem a bit odd to me... For example, the requirements say you have to have a 450 Mhz or higher G4 (this leaves out all G3s!). It also says you need a 32MB video card (the PC version requires 16MB). Here is my friend's system stats:

iMac 700Mhz G3
    1GB RAM
    ATI Rage 128 16MB

Does anyone have any experience running this game with a 16MB video card?

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Yep, I have played NWN on my 500mhz iMac and my G3 iBook both with 16MB VRAM . There is a slight noticable lag in the game, but the big issue was the computers overheating and shutting down after about an hour of game play so save often. I have noticed that NWN tends to overheat my imac G5 as well and after 2.5 hours of game play, quits. So to answer your question, yes you can play it just not very long.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's very odd... i would be interested to see if anyone else has these issues. Does this happen on any other game? I'd be worried that there was something wring with my system if that happened. What is your Energy Saver set to?

Rob

4. mono1980 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have never heard of this happening either. It is really strange that it has also done it on your brand new G5 iMac. It sounds like a weird bug with the game to me. It runs perfectly on my G4 Tower.

5. shortyjj macrumors regular

I played it on my ibook 700 w/ 512M and the 16mb video card and it was fine, enjoyable even - til I reached a dragon in the last chapter that was absolutely impossible, and gave up...

Now I've got a 12" PB and WoW and haven't played anything else for months.

6. mono1980 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh Well.. I tried

Well I had him try to install the game and it ended up crashing on launch. So I guess there is not much I can do.. looks like it's the luck of the draw for unsupported systems.