NY Yankees, love or hate them

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacNut, Apr 2, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Baseball season is upon us and its time to ask the age old question, do you love or hate the New York Yankees. I love them and nothing you can say will make me feel otherwise. :cool:

If your not a Yankee fan, and i know there are plenty, who is your favorite team. Red Sox fans need not apply. ;)

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm a Seattle Mariners fan, and I lean heavily towards hating the Yankees. Or it may just be Steinbrenner that I loathe - he can be such an (insert perjorative swear word here). Back in the late 90s when they were winning it all Steinbrenner seemed to be staying behind the scenes - I don't remember having this attitude back then.

Problem is, I hate that our ownership seems to have this attitude that "competitive is good enough" while teams like the Yankees (or even the A's) will go out and get that missing piece when they need it down the stretch. So I freely admit that some of my feeling is likely sour grapes. Plus the Yanks have demonstrated that while you can buy your way into the playoffs, you don't necessarilly get a guaranteed ring.

Having said all that, I'm curious to see how the Yanks do this year. Chemistry is probably overrated; but after watching Alex this off-season (first basically campaigning to take Nomar's job, now he's gotta be wanting to supplant Jeter) I've gotta wonder what that clubhouse is going to be like. Alex may be the best player active, but the offensive upgrade over Soriano may not be as significant as you might think.

3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

They still play baseball? I thought that game had been abandoned a long time ago. :p

Too bad there isn't a local MLB team here in Charlotte.
    I guess there is always the Atlanta Braves.

Yankees, hate them, sorry :rolleyes:

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Yankees choke in the postseason three years in a row. They're fun to watch, but they're obscenely gaudy, like some rich kid who wears to tux to a backyard barbecue. Nobody likes them. The 9th inning, Game 7 loss to Arizona was certainly the most delicious, but losing the ALCS to the pathetic Angels, and another WS to the lowly Marlins have been quite tasty in their own right.

Of course, I'm a Mariners fan. They're also fun to watch most of the season, and they choke every year too. :rolleyes:

But I'm also a fan of the new guard, the "moneyball" managers at places like Oakland, Boston, L.A., and Toronto. I wish them all the success in the world. I live near L.A. and my closest baseball friend is a die hard Dodger fan. I will enjoy watching their transformation under de Podesta.

I agree that Steinbrenner has gotten worse in the last few years. I think Yankees hating is reaching new levels.

But I'm very excited about the new season. I spent this evening watching the Dodgers and Angels play into the 11th. It's good to be a baseball fan.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Being a devout Orioles fan, it's quite obvious I hate the Yankees more than I hate most any other team. Sure, there's some sour grapes, but I did live in the time of the "Bird's" glory years from 70 to 80, where they won their fair share, so I can at least feel comfortable looking back.
    But all that being said, I'm disgusted with the game in general. Sure, the "game" is still there, but the pro level has morphed into something I believe nobody wants... except maybe the owners and players. Last fall I went to a Joliet Jackhammers game (pro ball in this area) and it was a blast... like MLB was when I was a big fan.

6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

The Yankees are killing baseball. Without revenue sharing and a salary cap the Yankees can keep getting richer off their huge audience, hire more top dollar players that others can't afford, do will, get rich, hire players, etc.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Ha! This thread reminds me that I need to email my former biology teacher from 3 years ago. We are both big Yankees fans.

MacNut, looking at your signature, and one of the sports team names for my university is also the Huskies. Excellent coincidence.

8. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Well I was born in the Bronx, and was a Yankees fan, but since my recent move up here, I've switched sides and now root to reverse the curse!

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Actually, spring training attendance set new records this year. It seems that last year's amazing postseason reinvigorated America's love of the game. In some ways, it may be unifying the nation together around a single team to hate. Cubs and Red Sox fans are practically brothers in arms. Everyone except Yankees and White Sox fans are sympathetic to their cause. And both teams look to be strong contenders this year, too, if injuries don't interfere. And teams like Oakland, with one of the smallest payrolls in the country and one of the most consistent winning records, prove that revenue sharing is not the only solution. Frankly, a lot of owners and general managers are lethargic losers. Yankees fans are always saying "You're just jealous that your team isn't willing to go after big names." And that's true. Boston caved on ARod, and they are going to to have to live with the sheer shame of that for a long time. And I think the new generation of owners is learning the lesson. The Angels' new owner spared no expense to acquire Colon and Guerrero. Meanwhile the Mariners did practically nothing last summer when the team was hot, and then the new manager did nothing particularly special in the offseason, and I have to live with that. I don't blame the Yankees for trying to succeed, I blame other teams for allowing failure. But I still hate the Yankees. So what if it's jealousy? I still hate them.

10. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i HATE the Yankees, yes it's a strong word and i mean it. They're the baseball equivilent of Manchester United in soccer, and of course, guess what? they're affilliated! both teams think they rule the world, are arrogant, lack respect, have tons of money and look down on others.

i guess if i want anyone to win, it'll be the red sox. i see them as the baseball equivilent of Liverpool these days...for more than one reason. :)

11. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

The fact that I am devout Giants fan is the result of the Yankees.

My grandfather hated Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhig. Bad. What's strange is that he lived in southern Illinois and I don't think he ever even went to New York City. Well, then the famous All Star game in 1934 took place and Carl Hubble struck out Ruth and Gerhig (and Jimmy Foxx) consecutively. At that point my grandfather gave his alleigance to Hubble, who happened to be a New York Giant. He remained a diehard Giants fan until he died about 10 years ago. He passed it on to my dad, who passed it on to me. (I'm wearing a Giants hat in my first baby picture!) Live the Giants, hate the Yankees.

I also hate the Cubs, but that's my own thing. :D

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

UConn Men and Women in the Final Four looking for a championchip, how sweet it would be to have both teams win the title.

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Being from Connecticut you either root for the Yankees, Red Sux or for some strange reason the Mets. I was raised a Yankee fan in a family full of Sox fans so parties and holidays are always a joy for me. As some people have a hatred for the Yankees I have a strong hatred for the Boston Red Sox. Must of that comes with the territory of living here you have to pick sides, but for me it goes further, after watching Pedro go nuts last year in the ALCS it became a hatred for the Red Sox and seeing Boone blast a Home Run into the seats in the bottom of the 12th made my day and i really didn't care about the World Series because beating the Red Sox was all i needed to make my winter. So long live the Curse of the Bambino and long live the NY Yankees. :) :cool: :D

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

How can you move to the dark side and root for the Red Sox, Not in a million years would i root for that scum. Living in the Bronx you of all people should understand what the curse means and the reason why the Red Sox are the one team you never root for.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

I gotta admit, since moving to Maine, I've become a bit more of a Red Sox fan...I especially liked the 2003 showdown between them and the Yankees. And shows like that from two tough teams (even if you hate them) are one of the few reasons I care to watch TV anymore.

The other reasons are: For movies, videogames, and a noise source so that I don't have to hear what my parents are listening to a room over (also on TV, ironically enough).

16. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I hate the Yankees with a passion, since i am a devoted Braves fan. They've screwed us out of, i don't know how many, championships.

17. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Add another tick mark to the "Yankee Haters" column. I can't stand the Yankee's.

I'm a big Cincinnati Reds fan. Hopefully, Griffey will be able to make a turn around this season. I'd really like to see him get some good playing time in this season.

18. Edot macrumors 6502

Down with the DH!

I have never been a AL fan. Why isn't the pitcher batting? Every player on the team should have to bat. That is how the game is played. There should not be specialized players for each aspect of the game. You don't see fielders and hitters swapping out when the team has to bat. These guys are supposed to be able to play baseball, not only be able to pitch or hit. Playing baseball requires offense AND defense. The NL has so much more exciting games, not just power hitters. As far as the Yankees go, yeah there really should be a salary cap, and more strict rules on drug use. It is getting out of hand. The number of homeruns is sick, and players hitting 40-50 homers when they are over 40 years old. What is funny is that the Yankees totally change there lineup every year and have all these top notch players and still can't manage to win the World Series. Have they every thought of getting a new manager? Every time I watch a Yankees game it is so boring the managers and players just sit around and watch each other try to hit homeruns. Torre is never enthusiastic or involved in the game. Baseball is just getting more sad everyday.

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

If by screw you mean the better team won than I agree.

Comments about DH. I agree that the pitcher should be expected to hit. It would make for less PAB pitchers *Cough* PEDRO MARTINEZ *Cough* who recklessly throw at peoples head. Roger Clemens has been known to do this as well. That said however, I am for keeping the DH in the AL. It's always been there since I've been around, and I would like to see it stay there, for no other reason would like to preserve the game. (interleague pisses me off) but it is prob best for the sport.

Joe Torre is captain cool. He has the toughest job in Baseball. Forget managing a team with no expectations, how about managing a team with a world series expectation every year? And a crazy owner who will fire you faster than Donald Trump can say "You're Fired!" through all that Joe just sits there keeping his cool, and keeps on winning. Respected no matter where he goes.

I am a Yankees fan because they are something special. The 2001 World series, The late inning home runs, in Games 3, 4, & 5. When NY was down and out, and the entire city needed a lift, the Yankees came through in dramatic fasion. No other team could have done this. Last years ALCS, Game 7, extra innings, Loser goes home, They do again. From the Babe, to Mantle, to Gehrig, to Jackson & Jeter. It's a great franchise, with many historic moments. They just are special.

20. IIvan macrumors regular

Yankees

The Yankees suck. They always have the dream team of players who command massive salaries. I always go for underdog teams, and they are never one.

The Cubs suck too- but they just are a bad team- the fans whine about how they don't win- but its just because for the last decade or so, they have consistently been one of the worst teams in the NL- there only bright spot being that pig Sosa...

21. IIvan macrumors regular

I pity Braves fans- watching their team choke in the post season for so many years...

22. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I don't hate the Yankees per se, but I definitely hate the Dodgers. And hate isn't a strong enough word. You might have guessed that I'm a big Giants/BALCO/Garlic Fries fan.

23. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Is this thread for real???

I'll clear it up for you all.

The Yankees suck.

Have a nice day.

24. kungfu macrumors regular

I don't really care about the whole redsox/yankees thing, and in fact I think it's almost more entertaining to just sit back and watch people fight about it. I'm from vermont, but I'm actually a twins fan.

25. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I can only assume the BALCO crack was meant to be ironic. :rolleyes: You gotta be kiddin' me. Barry Bonds is going to have the season from Hell. Everyone who hates him (which is, in fact, pretty much everyone) smells blood and they're circling...

As for the DH issue, I love it, and I'm an AL man all the way. Every time I see a pitcher at the plate, I'm think to myself, what's he doing there? That's not his job. Put in a real hitter. And since the new science of baseball is showing that small ball stealing and such is not worth it, the goofy strategy justifications that NL apologists use to defend the lack of a DH will become even sillier (not that it will ever change, of course).