NYC Bus Strike

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by gwuMACaddict, Dec 19, 2005.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Looks like I will be walking the 22 blocks to and from work. guess I could use the exersize. Im certainly going to be pissed at the transit workers! Have you seen their demands?:eek: Get back on the bus and start driving you greedy bastards!!!

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I left work early today and am taking vacation days the balance of the week. If things are normal, I will go in tomorrow morning ... however, somehow I see this dispute as getting very ugly come midnight.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The unions had better watch out, In the UK a lot of Poles are coming over to work as Drivers and there happy making 4X the average Polish salary.

I work with a lot of Poles, they graft well.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

im sooo happy my finals was done before this came around. its not easy trying to get around NYC without the subway.

Bless

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    NYC would be crippled without public transport. When I first heard about it, I wondered if Bloomberg would go all Reagan on them.

6. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Advice for NYC people: try cycling.

I've cycled round London for 4 years now, averaging over 100 miles a week commuting to work. It does wonders for your health; no need to goto a gym and you wont need that cup of coffee in the morning.

I'm not super fit, nor am i reckless. Cycling is far easier then you'd think. Having visited NY this year, I'd imagine that your straight roads would be much better to negotiate then London's potholed curvy roads.

And ladies/men (delete as applicable) might find you more attractive. No scientific proof, but believe it and its more likely to become true.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

8. darkwing macrumors 65816

I spent a few days in NYC last week and got out Sunday morning. Glad I got out when I did. I was staying at a B&B near the Ave J station in Brooklyn, and had to take the Q to the S to the A to the AirTrain. I hate public transportion. Glad I'm back home with my 350 horsepower gas guzzling trans am. :)

The unions are being unreasonable. I think the MTA should pass on some of the $1 bn surplus to the riders by not raising fares next year like they're scheduled to be raised.

9. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Well I live in NYC and once just for fun of it I have walked from my college, which is in Brooklyn - Next to Brooklyn Bridge, all the way to Queens. That walk has taken 2.5 hours, and it was all in straight line (well, one street). For biking to school I would have to probably commit like good 30-40 minutes which would be less than my commute on Subway. However, I just can't imaging spending the whole day in class all sweaty, hot humid summer days are a b**ch here.
    Plus, me as being an art student, it would be a pain a an a** to cycle with this huge portfolio next to me.

10. davefan6435 macrumors regular

all I gotta say is listen to the song london underground, sounds just like this. That song is absolutly hilarious.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

12. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

It feels like 11 degrees in NYC this morning with the wind chill factor. Watching thousands of people walk across the Brooklyn Bridge in such frigid temperatures makes me awfully glad I will be home during the strike.

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Most New Yorkers don't own cars. Its not practical. A part of me misses living in a city where I didn't own/need to own a car.

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

True, its not practical, but i was watching a BBC documentry about the capital of Texas, Housten, where some residentail streets don't even have sidewalks/pavements!!

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Not sure if the documentary covered this, but it turns out that Houston and New York are entirely different cities. I'm guessing that the NYC transit strike has had little or no impact on Houston's residents, given that so few of them make use of the NYC subways or buses.

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Austin is the capital of Texas.

Houston is the spelling of the large coastal city. (Like the street in New York or London that gives the name to Soho)

Yes, some residential streets don't have sidewalks but most US cities developed after the advent of the automobile. There was a major population shift after WWII to around major cities. From the inside out and the outside in. A sort of Bullseyeing. Some cities have had a bit of a comeback but now there is a chicken/egg problem. Why make a city more friendly to people without cars when everyone has one and why get rid of the car when you need one to get around?

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

True. Its the people in New Jersey, Connecticut and Long Island who drive into the city that makes up the bulk of traffic. Some people just cant let go of their cars:confused:

18. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Its about 4 degrees outside.

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The "Breaking News" headline on CNN.com reads "A judge rules the Transport Workers Union in contempt of court for striking, and orders it fined $1 million a day starting Tuesday."

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

KCRA 3 Link

EDIT: Oops, Lyle already covered it. How could I have missed that?

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I hate people that go on strike; and I hate the unions that recommend it. In fact, I hate ALL unions! :mad:

22. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I hear you. My heart just breaks for basically unskilled workers making $55-$70K with a pension and health benefits for life. Bloomberg should pull a Reagan and fire all their asses.

23. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Here, transit is owned by the provincial government, so strikes happen but they are rare.

That sucks to be striking during the busy holiday season, but no doubt the union has been planning this for some time. $450 million loss per day? Wow.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

24. darkwing macrumors 65816

I agree. Apparently the brunt of the negotiating force lies with Governor Pataki, as the MTA is more regulated by the state. At least, that's how I understand it.