NYC marathon 2006

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Don't panic, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I’ll be running the NYC marathon this year.
    I am a novice so the goal is finishing. I even got myself a nano, a nike+ thingy and the marsware armband/shoepouch to use it with my shoes.
    Is anyone else running it or has run it in the past?
    Any tips?
    Is important to wear tight fitting gear? Taping nipples? What do you do to prevent blisters? did you bring your cell phone? I’d like to, to coordinate randezvous with family, but how do you carry it (pocket, pouch, beltclip)

Also I have a curiosity about the ‘actual length’ of the marathon. It’s supposed to be 26 miles/42.2Kms. but how is it measured on the course. It clearly makes a lot of difference if you use the inside of the curve or the outside (think the 400m start in a track), and runners, especially the (5+ hours ones) will go anything but in a perfect straight line.
    Has anyone calculated what is the actual mileage run?

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Congrats on your goal, Don't panic. Since this is your first, you've probably read a boatload of books and articles on training and preparation. This Marathon Guide has some good helps.

I've found for friction prevention, good ol' fashioned Vaseline (a healthy smattering on nips, inner thighs and even on toes) helps.

It's 26.2 miles through the 5 boroughs of Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Manhattan, finishing up in Central Park at the Tavern on the Green. (At least it used to be that way)

Looks like you're poised to enjoy the experience, which is good. After 21 miles, there are no singing of the birds, for the first timer, so your music should help, but not nearly as much as a good training base for at least 8 weeks prior.

Best of luck.

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Ill be the guy cheering you on in Central Park. Be sure you use the bathroom before you run. I cant tell you how many times over the years I have seen people stop, duck behind a parked car and squat right there. ewwwww!

Good Luck!:)

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

you'd be surprised how 26 miles of bounding affects even the emptiest of bowls

Good luck buddy -- my friends dad is doing the race.

I myself have my site sets on the Death Valley Ultra-Marathon in a few years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badwater_Ultramarathon) -- sorry i can't figure out how to imbed links

just remember no warm fluids in the morning --- that'll keep the runs from getting to you at mile 10 ;)

5. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

thanks for the encouragements,
    anyone else is running it?
    any other practical tips?

6. bemylover macrumors regular

Congrats pal. I will run that one either next year or year after that.

A few practical tips here:

1. I think ipods are not allowed. You can take one if you really want to, but you really should not. Especially in NY marathon and especially for the first time. You want to experience entire marathon including sounds of cheering crowd.
    2. The distance oficially is 26.2 miles, but in NY you will have to run more than that(sorry), for the reasons you mentioned earlier. I dont know exactly how much more though.
    3. As you are preparing for the marathon, you must be running many long runs, up to 20 miles long. On those you should figure out what to wear, what do you feel most comfortable in while running long. Don't put on anything new on the marathon day.
    4. Don't think about the distance as 26+ miles. Divide it in three parts 10+10+6.2 miles. When running first 10 miles think only about 10 miles you have to run. Then start thinking about next 10 and finally last 6.2.
    5. You will go uphill right from the start for about a mile(on the bridge). Go walking there, use that for warm up. Don't waste your glycogen supplies right away.
    6. Check the web, you'll find tons of information about marathons in general and about NY one in particular.

And finally, here's a lil bit of inspiratoin for you.

Good luck.

7. colocolo macrumors 6502

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Just one more item I didn´t mention. Heat. Assuming it will be mild to chilly in Novemeber in NYC, this shouldn´t be an issue, but if there happens to be a 60´s warmup, you should be aware of the weather outlook.

Night meal before. There´s usually a pasta feast, and you should stock up your glycogen, but don´t eat anything you normally haven´t experimented with. Drink and be well hydrated, early. You´ll pee often and early, but that´s the way it goes, so plan for this and, you´re maximum blessed if you have a good BM a couple of hours before the race. Don´t mean to get base, but those are part of the overall, good experience.

May the wind be at your back.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Follow a hot girl with a 'sweet ass'™ all the way to the end. You won't feel as tired and time will fly by a lot faster.

10. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

i got it mainly for training, but i was thinking to bring it along just for the nike+ gizmo and if there are quiet stretches or phases I need to focus. Not planning on using it all the time.
    that's what i was afraid of. i am guessing at the end it will be another extra mile. i'll post what the ipod says afterwards.
    I wish. I don't know how anyone with kids and a long-hours, full-time job manage to get in all the proper training, but i have been running a bit almost every day. i'll try to do a 13 miles run this weekend, but there is no way i have the time to do a 20 miles one. besides, if I do i doubt i'll recover in time for the marathon :D
    thanks for the other tips and the video link, it is inspirational. i always watch them run by, and everytime i think 'i want to do this!". now i will (well, try..:) )

xsedrinam, pasta is my main staple, so i should be ok :), and about the other 'movements': hard to program those, hopefully it will just work 'out' before start :D

11. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

There is one key rule:

DONT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT ON RACE DAY!

Wear your usual training clothes, use the same gel or powerbar you usually use, don't wear new clothes or shoes, don't use vaseline if you don't usually use it.

Other than that I recommend drinking (even just a little) at every water/gatorade station. I found walking at the last 6 stations actually gave me a lot more energy. Don't worry about peeing during the run - you will have to, and you will find a place to do it:) . I recommend trees or inbetween parked cars.

On another practical note, in Pittsburgh I lined up in a faster finishing time than I expected so that the wave of people didn't slow me down.

Some people write their names on the back of their shirts so that people can cheer you on by name. I didn't do it but I thought it looked cool.

Also, if it's cold at the start then bring an old T-shirt to wear over you running clothes and ditch it when you warm up.

Good luck, have fun, enjoy then sights!

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

lol... i can't stop laughing... Its good motivation to ;)

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Thats a pretty good mantra. you cant trade mark "sweet ass", sorry.

When I use to run id do this the day before-
    eat lots of starch, like pasta (this is common runners prerace diet)
    and hydrate the day before. drink all the water you can until its comming out your ears.
    Get all your eating and most of your drinking done at least 2 hours before you run.

Good luck.

14. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

thanks for all the advice.
    i did get to run an half marathon last weekend without much negative fallout, so i am moderately optimist for the full distance.

I'll keep abstract's mantra in mind for that ;)

colocolo, is it you first one?

anyone else?

15. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Lance Armstrong. :)

16. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

the marathon is always annoying because it blocks traffic and more.

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

And if all that comes with a good scented perfume at the 20 mile marker, you're 10k finish should have an extra kick. :D

18. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

so what's his handle here?

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'd recommend putting your name on the front of your shirt (so people can see it and cheer as you pass, not just after!) if you think you'll get a boost from crowd's cheers.

my girlfriend is running her third marathon this weekend.. i'm guessing this first one won't be your last if all goes well! good luck

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Marilson Gomes dos Santos becomes the first South American to win NYC. 38,000 runners, joggers, plodders and shufflers sounds like a huge bottleneck across the bridge to start. I wonder how much official time had elapsed before the last person crossed the Starting Line? :eek:

22. colocolo macrumors 6502

Well, I just got back to Chile today, i had a hard time getting an internet connection on NY (didnt travel with my laptop as i thought i would buy a MBP..but i digress).

Anyways, what a great experience. It was my first marathon, and I enjoyed it inmensely. The environment, the cheering, the music, the (seemingly eternal) route...

The bridges really take a toll on your legs (especially the Queens- Manhattan and Manhattan-Bronx ones), but once you see the finish line you forget all about your pains.

I encourage everyone to try and run it next year! Anyone can, it's more a matter of convincing yourself, building a strong mind and exercising for some months, of course.

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Thanks for letting us hear back, colocolo. How was your time? Did you need to walk some? Still waiting to hear back from Don't panic. Hope he made it okay. You didn't happen to see him laying face down on one of the bridges, did you? :eek: :D