NYC store out of ipod mini -- should I wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jackc, Mar 2, 2004.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

The NYC Soho store is out. I figured they'd be stocked up after the initial rush was over.

I was going to buy it from the Apple site, but it says delivery will take 1-3 weeks. The rep at the store says they might be in any day now (he tried to sell me on the 15GB, "it's only $50 more," but I've got my heart set on a mini!)

Do you think I'm better off waiting for the store to be restocked?

2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

if that is what you really want, just hang on a few days. the soho store is one of the flagship mac stores and will be sure to get a new stock right away.

as for the debate between the 15 gb ipod and the mini: i would say it depends on your needs. i personally need the larger space and my parents won't buy the mini for me at the present moment. the cost is a tad bit to high, and in a few months i think they will drop it down to $199. i might get one then since it is a very cool toy.

3. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

I hear you, I'm actually having a tough time deciding between the two. I've got about 6.5 GB of music, so I figure I'm not giving up too much by going for the smaller drive. I'm skeptical about the $199 theory too.

4. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Just wait for the store to be restocked. I bet the reason that the online store says 1-3 weeks is because most of the Mini's are being sent to Apple Stores. I'm sure if they sold out this quick that Apple is working their hardest to restock them at the SoHo store. Be patient (I know its easier said than done) :)

5. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

the original ipod was $399 when it first came out. when did it go down to $299?

it seems to me that there will always be early adopters who will buy a product when it first comes out. $250 isn't a bad price for the mini, in noting the size and build of the device, but it isn't an impluse buy. apple as sold a ton of mini's at the present price, but i think the future will see it brought down to $199. probably when the next one inch microdrives comes out can see the 4GB mini for $199 and a 6 or 8 GB mini for $250. i bet at that time the ipod line will range from 20 to 40 to 60 gb's respectively. just my thoughts on the matter.

6. djkny macrumors 6502

Who the kadoodle would want 60GB of HD space? That's an ungodly amount of music.

7. ou_phidelt macrumors newbie

People who have a lot of music and also want to use it to transport other large files. Although I only see a small portion of people will actually use it close to that capacity, I do see many people buying it just to say they have the biggest and the best.