NYC Transit strike. How did you get to work?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by freeny, Dec 20, 2005.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Well here we are in a transit strike. Personally I think the transit workers are being babies. I had to walk 22 blocks in 26 degree weather this morning. Took me about a half hour. My walk wasnt even close to how bad it could have been if I lived in the outer boroughs. Who else had to do this commute and who had the worse?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yikes!!

If that had happened here we would've just stayed home and told the boss we weren't coming in.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

according to news reports, lots of people took the day off...

4. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I live in Brooklyn. I got up at 6:00 am picked up my girlfriend and her co-worker in Queens, then picked up a stranger waiting at the bus stop on the way to Manhattan because you need 4 people in a car if you want to drive into the city. The commute wasn't that bad, I actually got to work earlier than I expected.

5. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Actual traffic inside Manhattan is lighter than usual. this may change after the 11am HOV restictions expire:eek:

6. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

OK, two questions.

1: What happens after you drop off that first person and get down to 3 people in a car?
    2: What happens if you only have a two seater? Are you banned because you drive a vette?

7. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

They will only let you past the checkpoint with 4 people in the car. So, don't drop anyone off until you pass the checkpoint.

And no, you need 4 people. Having a 2 seater will not suffice to get you past.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

yes- doesn't a gas guzzling sports car defeat the purpose of the HOV lanes? (carry more people at once, reduce traffic, reduce emmissions)

9. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

This is a special HOV rule. The NYPD are at checkpoints making sure all inbound traffic has at least 4 passengers. Commercial vehicles are excluded most of the time.

The normal HOV rules for the parkways/freeways are separate from the downtown restrictions.

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

nevermind... i get it

edit: cause i'm an idiot

11. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

No Commercial vehicles are allowed in the city today between the hours of 5:00am-11:00am

12. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

1. You just need four passengers to get into the city once your here the rule no longer applies.

2. Your screwed! Your not banned because you drive a vette' your banned because you don't have 4 passengers. Not even Motorcycles are allowed.

13. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Motorcycles ARE allowed. actually the city would love it if everyone drove a motorcycle.

14. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

49th @ 1st Ave to Leeroy @ Greenwich St in the village. 45 blocks north2south and 7 long blocks east2west. Took me an hour.

Anyone who didn't see this strike coming from way off just wasn't looking. TA had a surplus, articles in the paper about politicians and administrators drooling at the change to divert some of the pot to other non-TA projects, then the ballot initiative passed to earmark more funds for the TA, to finish and/or initiate some new projects like LIRR-to-Grand_Central and 2nd-Ave subway line. You can't roll out new pizza like that and not expect the transit workers to want their share of the pie!

(Of course, like all unions, they're stupid about not negotiating for a percent-gradient figure instead of a fixed dollar amount, and then they have to go back to the table a few years later. MHO)

I'd damn well better see some 2nd Ave subway stations cropping up before the end of the decade

:mad:

15. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Your absolutely right. Someone mentioned it this morning and I just took her word for it.

16. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I drove- alone. Then again, I do a reverse commute to Long Island. I love the city but you can keep it for the commute.

17. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

My company had a fleet of busses to shuttle workers from Penn and the Port Authority uptown. Of course, last night the busses were stuck in gridlock, so I walked from 59th and Lex to Penn station. Did anyone else see how ridiculous the 7th avenue side of Penn was? Thousands of people, I'd estimate. But if you walked around to the 8th ave side...empty.

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

this whole thing is a mess, it took me an hour and half to go from LGA to i think 36 st. at around 3ish :eek: