NYT - Obama invests in donors.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Mar 7, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This is an interesting move for the New York Times. Link

I think this is a non-issue about Obama's investing. Everybody is a capitalist in the end right? But the NYT could be reporting this to clear the kinks in Obama's armor early in the race. I can't imagine they would do anything to hinder Obama.

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Hillary owns alot of stock in the NYT.:p

3. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm sure this could be construed as a smear against Hillary. Its highly unlikely. The move by the NYT is surprising however.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It might be but why do you think it is?

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Read the Article

Here is the important part:
    Sure, it could be a lie, but the intent of a blind trust is to give someone else the power to make all the decisions on where and how to invest money without knowing what the investments are in.

It makes sense for a politician (a clean one at least) to save for the retirement in such a manner.. It would be nearly impossible to avoid conflicts of interest when one has the power of a senator.

6. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think its surprising because I can't figure out if the NYT would try to help or hinder the Obama campaign.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Originally I thought this would be really bad, but then I think I read that this was taken care of in 2005, am I right?

Sorry, just checked. So why is this news? If he sold the stock at a loss when he found out, doesn't that say it all right there?

8. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

why would they care either way? i think you put way too much stock in the New-York-Times-Liberal-Media mythos.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That would be better than some other people I can think of, who retain their 'blind' trusts in spite of their power and position. Link.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Shouldnt we be talking of why he didnt pay his parking tickets for years until he decided to run? These politicians all suck, Bush,Clinton,Obama,McCain the guy from New York. We could do better by... dropping a Monkey out of a plane and whereever he lands give him a phone book and let him rip out a page and the guy on the top of the list gets to be president.

The system we have now just sucks.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A scenario worthy of Homer J. Simpson (Hail to the Chimp anyone?) :p

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Because they have nothing, so they have to make stuff up. Like the madrossa. They tried to do the same thing to Reid, but dropped it when it was similar to this. A blind trust where he had no idea what was going on, and took himself out when he found out. Meanwhile, it turned out Hastert was directly profiting off of a land deal around the same time, and I barely heard a thing. To be fair though, got kinda buried by the Foley thing.

And the parking tickets got paid. Also: he admitted to the drug use in his youth, he doesn't go to a black separatist church, and he never attended a madrossa. Call me when he pulls a Jefferson Clinton or Marion Barry. :rolleyes:

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me