'NYT' War Reporter: 'Anarchy' Curtails Reporting in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 22, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

e&p

2. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and from the LA Times comes this account, about which the author the Times says:
    an excerpt:
    this sounds like anarchy to me. we're really going to pay for this someday.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We're paying for it now. And reading articles like this tells me things aren't going so well. 3 years later and we're no better off. Worse even.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Much much worse. Things were incredibly calm for the first half a year (relatively speaking).

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the independent has some cheery news...

unreal that the GOP is running on this record for the midterms. and i don't think the oft-predicted democratic house takeover is going to materialize. true madness in the US.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As I pointed out in this thread, the fact that they're even trying to run on making America safer, re: terrorism or otherwise, is ludicrous. Violent crime is up. Healthcare costs are up, while coverage is down. But hey, we haven't had a major attack from terrorists here on American soil, so we must be safer. :rolleyes: I wonder what the excuse will be if we are attacked again, ignoring of course all the attacks already occurring overseas.

Based on our experience with Katrina, I'm sure we'd be prepared if we were.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny that we don't often get descriptions of the torture inflicted on these people. We heard plenty about Saddam's methods, and how brutal they were, in the run up to the war. But all the media ever really mentions these days is "the body(s) show(ed) signs of torture" without ever elaborating.

Of course a liberal media would be more than happy to accommodate a conservative president in that regard -- right?

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Descriptions and calling it torture would just show the reality of the situation. Much easier to try not to think of them as human. Even the innocent ones.

Because after all, they do it to us, so that makes it ok. :rolleyes:

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Weird, double post. Probably somehow Bush's fault.

10. toontra macrumors 6502

As I understand it, and from the occasional in-depth reports on the BBC (mainly radio), much of the torture is of the most grotesque types imaginable, so much so I really don't want to repeat it in an open forum. This may be one reason it doesn't make most news outlets.

Suffice to say, what is going on in Iraq is so abhorrent (I reckon much WORSE than under Saddam) that all those who are responsible for the country descending to this barbaric state should:

1) Do everything humanly possible to try and alleviate the worst excesses

2) Search their souls, and after a period of reflection self-disbar themselves from any part in future foreign policy decisions of any kind

3) Publicly apologise, specifically to the people of Iraq, but also to the world in general