NYTimes VIDEO: David Pogue Tries the IPod Shuffle

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 13, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Pitch forking mulch in Nova Scotia, Canada
    hehe Cute, I like it, though I can't remember why I know the name David Pogue.

3. macrumors 6502

He's the tech columnist for the NYT online. His posts are always reasonable in tone and apparently, quite the Apple Lover™.

4. macrumors regular

OK no more friggin links to site that require registration....this isnt the USSR.

...err...what ever that means.

5. macrumors regular

slightly

Pogue has also written a slew of Mac "how-to" books, such as the Missing Manual. He's quite a famed Mac-head.

Matt

6. macrumors 6502

NYTimes is thinking of switching over to paid subscription, similiar to WSJ. I hope it doesn't. Given this, I didn't mind registering. It saves alot of grief and its only painful once. ;)

7. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But what is the purpose of having to register in order to view FREE information? I don't understand how this benefits me or the NYT.

8. macrumors regular

Subscriptions

FYI, there's a service called bug me not (free) that lets you bypass registration.
    javascript:void(window.open('http://bugmenot.com/view.php?mode=bookmarklet&url='+escape(location),'BugMeNot','location=no,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=385,height=450'))
    Bookmark that and hit it when you need to log in for something like NYT or another paper, obviously it won't work for PayPal :p

9. macrumors 6502

They gather market data, which is used to show potential advertisers the demographics of people who vist their site. Also, registering allows NYT to track which stories interest you, so they can fine tune their reporting and target ads that would appeal to you. It's nothing sinister. In exchange for your registration, they provide you with free content. NYT articles are very well written and informative, and NYT has to pay their writers. I visit NYT about 3 times a day. Indispensable source of news and reviews.

10. macrumors 6502a

Passante

I refuse to put real audio on my powerbook so I couldn't see the video.:mad:However the advertisment ran just fine. Funny no?

11. macrumors 68040

Daveway

Use the user name and password: appleinsider. It's what I use for the NYT.

12. macrumors 6502

Me too. I got rid of RealOne a long time ago. I was thinking of re-installing it to watch the NYT's video, but then my better senses got to me. ;)

13. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You need RealPlayer and a registration in order to view the video? Man, these things really need a warning before the link.