NZ 'Broadband' rant

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pknz, Jan 12, 2006.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

NZ is a 3rd world internet country. Just today I have received an email from my ISP, iHug. This email informs that of March 1, my data allowance will be cut to 20GB. This is a 256kbps download, and 128kbps upload which when initially signed up had no data allowance at $NZ49.95 a month (with toll calls through iHug)
    Most ISP's in NZ have now moved to 2mbps down and 128kbps down including iHug. However as a heavy internet user I use up to 80GB of data a month and all the "competition" limit their data allowance to 10GB a month for around $NZ59.95. After these limits are broken speed is cut back to 65kbps, might as well just get dial up:mad:

iHug offers a 80GB data allowance for $89.95 a month. Obscene! I am angry and disgusted. How dare they do this. They haven't even dropped the price for my original altered plan. :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad: : :mad: Damn Telecoms monopoly, our useless fat lazy government, (who spend $NZ12,000 a year on phone calls).:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Wow, that really does suck. I am paying $30 a month for a 3mbps connection. Officially my provider (verizon) says it is 3360 KBits/Sec Down and 864 KBits/Sec Up. Not bad at all. And i dont have any limits for uploading or downloading.

I would say that you are really getting stiffed.

3. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

I have just booked a flight to come and live in your country:rolleyes:

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I saw an article in the Herald a couple of weeks ago stating that Telecom has been ordered to offer full-speed (ie. up to 7.6 Mb/s) service to Telstra for $28/month :)

Who knows how long it'll be before it takes effect though.

Edit: Found something which says it could be available in March.

5. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

That would be great providing that don't cap the data limit or screw it up some other way. Would be even greater if iHug could get the same deal. Would be EXTREMELY great if I could get it tomorrow.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

From the Cox AUP:
    I can blow through the upload cap in under 36 hours. They just don't enforce it :D

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

You have to face it that NZ is a small country, with 3.5 million people in it, a long way from anywhere except Australia (and it's a fair distance from there). In the UK my ISP (NTL) now offers 2Mb/s for about US$45 and 10Mb/s for US$65. A lot of the UK ISPs cap transfer amounts. I'm on NTLs 2Mb/s and it's apparently at 30GB a month. I use the internet a lot and I'm nowhere near that...I don't really use bittorrent that much:rolleyes:

8. skimaxpower Guest

sympathize

Dude, you're wrong. NZ is a Fourth World internet country.

I'm travelling around the world right now (it's great, thanks for asking.) And I have to say the internet cafes in the communist starving 3rd world nation of LAOS were nicer, faster, and cheaper than the internet cafes in New Zealand.

But on the other hand, you've got Fiordland. :)

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

This whole concept of 'data allowance' must be a Commonwealth thing, because I've NEVER heard of a broadband data allowance in the US, but I keep hearing from people in England, Australia, New Zealand, etc. about how LITTLE they're allowed to download each month. Ridiculous stuff.

Here I pay $45/month for a Road Runner cable modem connection that averages 3 mbps/download... with NO limits on download. At that rate, I could download 7776 Gb (972 GB) in a month of 31 days. Obviously, I don't do that, but just my Internet radio (Groove Salad) accounts for 42.85 GB of download each 31-day month (at 128 kbps).

Even my cellphone lets me download UNLIMITED each month for only $19.99.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I live in the UK (well actually England but it really annoys me when people say England but mean the UK) and I have an 8 meg connection with no limits for £30. I think new connections are cheaper than that now (£22 iirc).

11. bgd macrumors regular

I'm in the process of setting up my family (in NZ) on broadband and was surprised by the current state of broadband in a technically advanced country. It seems to be due to Telecom (is it still called that) trying to hold on to it's monopoly. Similar situation to the UK but I think we are a little further down that road now. It will get better......

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The goverment in NZ turned down the oppurtunity to have local loop unbundling,shows the power of Telecom.

13. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Over 4mil now. Didn't happen overnite;)

Telstra Clear have made some type of agreement with Telecom that should allow unbundled bitstream service at somthing like 256k to 3.5mb down and still 128k up. Improvement none the less.

Telstra Clear media release

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

According to the OECD, we have the second-highest Internet penetration (70-something percent) but the lowest broadband penetration :rolleyes:

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's ridiculous. The Australian media is always ranting about how bad our own broadband infrastructure and pricing mechanism is but it's not as bad yours.

Up until recently, we had everything running through the Telstra network but a few rogue ISPs decided to set up their own infrastructure to offer much faster, cheaper internet. It's working really well so far, hopefully something similar will happen in New Zealand. :)

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

30 GB is a lot of internet usage a month, and 80 GB is even moreso. I don't really think it's unfair that they cap you at 2.7 GB of internet usage a day!

My internet in Canada didn't have a cap either, but if you got to 40 GB in one month, they email you and ask you to stop using so much. Actually, they asked my brother since he was the one at home using it so much. They also asked my brother what exactly he was downloading in order to use 40 GB in 3 weeks (it hadn't even been a month yet). He was downloading movies and using Bittorrent and stuff. This was 3-4 years ago.