O/c G3 700

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jadam, Apr 25, 2003.

1. jadam macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2002
    can anyone point me towards where the software needed to overclock and ibook G3 700mhz? i want to overclock my ibook and i cant seem to find the software.
  2. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i'd also like to try this out...though i'm extremely nervous...especially cause i fold...
  3. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.
    Is it a good idea to do this overclocking thing? I mean what could potentially go wrong?
  4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.

well first
    a) there are *very* few macs that can be software overclocked
    b) there are risks with either overclocking
    1)software worst off, iBook doesn't turn on --- for no reason, well your can probably get it fixed, but probably needs new firmware
    2) Sodering, this is the way *most* overclocking happens. You remove or add sodder to the chip, hench different output or an overclock.
    Worst case: you mess up soddering and destroy your CPU.
    But the best case for both of them is higher clock speed.

If there is software it probably will overclock *safely* because it has been tested, if not... well USER BEWARE.
  5. melchior macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2002
    there was a software o/c for the higher ibooks, but then apple updated the software are it was no longer possible.

xlr8yourmac has a pretty good collection of various hacks, mods and overclocks. though, for some reason it is down. half a dozen of the websites i visit daily are down. it's weird. a coincidence? a worm?

anyway, yeah, check them out when they're up again.

if you're handy with a soldering iron there's probably something you can do. maybe. i've been overclocking since my first pentium some years ago and though macs don't make it easy, i think it's more fun when you have physically solder surface mount jumpers and resistors!

my ibook 500 is at 650, which is, unfortunatel the only computer i have at the moment... my others are at home in a dark room. they must be lonely.... i am lonely... :(