O.J. Simpson 10 year anniversary

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by EricNau, Oct 3, 2005.

1. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I do remember hearing the verdict read. I was in school and for some reason the teacher allowed us to listen to verdict on the radio. I have not idea why. You might have thought it was a watershed moment in history. Really, it meant nothing. All, I loved wasting time in school. Those were the days.

Back to the topic on hand . . . At this point in time, does it matter if he was really guilty? I didn't get to see all the evidence or hear all the testimony, so I can't say. All I know is his life was ruined after that trial -- guilty or not.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

4. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wonder if he is the real killer :eek:
    We may never know.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

god, it's hard to believe. i remember i was sitting in detention in jr. high, someone shouted it down the halls. A lot of the teachers turned on CourtTV to watch the verdict. As to whether or not he did it... i truly don't know

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wonder if he's going to offer a special, 10 year anniversary limited edition murder and denial for us lucky O.J. fans?

7. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Can't say I remember it, I was only 5 :p

8. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I was in middle school(jr. high to some of you) in computer class actually i think they were old old IBM's. Teacher got a phone call and announced it to glass.

Well i am as sure as i could be that he did it, but that doesn't mean much i guess

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i feel the same way.... i was 12... wow :eek:

11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Believe he's guitly and got a way with it.

Instead of the "OJ Simpson trial," it became the "LAPD trial" where OJ's defense team successfuly proved that the LA police were racist. It's sad that OJ got away with it.

Still remember seeing OJ in a Ford Bronco being chased by dozens of LAPDs on the 405 Freeway. I was in college then (you can guess how old I am)

Will there be justice? Will OJ ever be punished?

12. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Of course he either did it, or hired someone. Rumors have it that there WAS a witness to the murders. However, he/she was robbing the neighbor's house that night, and thus didn't come foward. Anyone heard this?

13. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If it doesn't fit, you must acquit. haha
    I don't feel I can make a judgment because I wasn't in court to listen to all of the evidence, but from what I know it does sound a little suspicious.

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Legally, he is as free as we are. In terms of some type of alternative punishment, only option left is to ban him from every golf course in America.

15. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I was in a chemistry class my junior year of high school. Some girls were crying. I was apathetic. I remember the newspapers the days after the murder took place, the car chase. It was good t.v.

16. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Rumor has it that he did. However, a problem arose when The Juicy One decided to revert to frontier justice by wearing multiple hats, acting as prosecutor, judge and jury.

After a thorough review of all available evidence and extensive deliberations while looking in the mirror, a jury of one acquitted them. :)

17. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

All of that plus a doubling of the reward money. Hey, in tough economic times everybody needs incentives.

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

PBS has a special on the O.J. Simpson trial and the aftermath tonight for all your American west coast readers. Will be interesting to see what introspection on 10 years will bring.

19. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I was in Middle School at the time. I think we had a T.V. on in art class or was it English? Oh well, some of the only things that I remember was that class was stopped for awhile while all of us watched with anticipation. I never rooted one way or the other, unlike some other kids. Most wanted him to be innocent.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I watched live TV for the reading if the verdict. Very shocked. It's best that he lives in oblivion. :(

21. ecche macrumors regular

The best about this particular anniversary was David Letterman honouring it with a nice little joke that went something like this:
    It's 10 years now since the OJ verdict. Funny how time passes so quickly. We can still all remember the day when we were sitting in front of the TV that day saying: You're KIDDING!?!

22. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I just finished watching that program on tape. It had a very predictable effect as I sat on my recliner ... I could sense a real rise in my blood pressure. The best line in the Frontline report, as stated by a few commentators, was this: "They framed a guilty man."

23. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

wow...i still remember sitting in school and watching the Not-Guiltry verdict...weird....10 years...

24. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Yeah, I remember that as well. Hard to believe that ten years has passed. I wanted him to be innocent, but I thought at the time that he was probably guilty. Don't really know for sure of course. I know the prosecution could have done a better job, but OJ's defense was good too.

25. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The case was irretrievably lost once District Attorney Gil Garcetti crumbled to the pressures brought to bear and agreed to have the venue changed from Santa Monica county (where the murders occurred) to downtown Los Angeles (which benefitted the defendant enormously).

At that point, the defense could have basically recited every name from the phone directory and it would not have harmed their client. The prosecution clearly erred in certain ways and there also was the explosive Mark Fuhrman debacle.

However, after the verdict was read, one juror defiantly told the media that the jury's time was totally wasted by the prosecution having begun by introducing 911 tapes and detailed documentation of Simpson's record of prior domestic violence against Nicole.

She was quoted as saying, "This was not a case about domestic violence, this was a case about murder." If one cannot make the obvious nexus between DV and a person's subsequent murder, the chances of having them understand and appreciate other critical material about the case is essentially a lost cause.