O.J. Simpson ten years later

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Doctor Q, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Today is a grim anniversary: Ten years since the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.

Here's a summary article: Ten years on, OJ still facinates America

O.J. has been giving news interviews all week. The families of Nicole and Ron have spoken this week too.

After the murders in 1994, O.J. was found "half-guilty" (civil but not criminal). Will the facts ever come out? Would the same case get the same "trial of the century" attention today? Would there be the same huge racial schism in opinions about O.J.'s guilt or innocence? Has America changed since then?

2. IIvan macrumors regular

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    10 years later o.j. is still the scumjob he's always been.

i doubt o.j. will ever publically admit his guilt and the one person who knew the most, robert kardashian, is now dead. kato knows too, but unless he can use his knowledge to further his lame tv career, he'll never talk.

every time i see kato around town i want to b****slap him.

what a bunch of slimeballs.

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've read newspaper articles about how our expectations for trial coverage evolved from the O.J. case: the commentators who treat trials like sports event, speculating on strategy, deciding who "won" the day's court proceedings, and promoting nonstop coverage. The Scott Peterson/Laci Peterson case is the latest, and Michael Jackson's trial may be next.

A few years ago, two law professors proposed a code of ethics for legal commentators, which three tenets:

1. Comment only on documented facts.

2. Discuss issues with neutrality.

3. Avoid sports metaphors.

All of those rules have gone out the window, because trials are more entertaining without them.

5. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't remember June 12, 1994 at all, but I do remember June 13 (10 years ago today). I was on my way to school, going by the same condos on Bundy Drive that I passed every morning. But this morning was different. There were police cars around one of the condos, with the Police Line Do Not Cross tape around the outside of one of them. I found out later that it was Nicole's condo, the murder site, and the start of the investigation.

O.J.'s police chase, in the white Ford Bronco, went down the freeway right near our house, and we saw him go by from an overpass.

Next month I'm on jury duty in the same courthouse where O.J. had his trial. Maybe I'll see Judge Ito!

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

More O.J. Simpson news: O.J. Simpson guilty of armed robbery, kidnapping

The incident took place in a hotel room on the 13th of the month. The trial took 13 days and the jury deliberated for 13 hours. He was convicted yesterday, on the 13th anniversary of his murder acquittal. The trial was in Las Vegas, where people worry about whether 13 is an unlucky number. I guess it is, at least for O.J. Simpson.