O MY O MY, what a horrible couple of days it's been

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FF_productions, May 7, 2006.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

So a few days ago, my digital 8 camcorder's firewire port broke, meaning I can't edit anything, so I have to send it in to circuit city and have them repair it. Today, to make matters worse, my external hard drive dies, with all my videos from FCP in it. All gone. 150+Gigs of videos gone.

So this thread is just about feeling sorry for me and now I feel like crying.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'm slowly realizing how much stuff I just lost....it's depressing...

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

You can still have some of the data recovered right? Or maybe you tried already.

5. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I turn on the external hard drive, and i hear a wierd beeping noise, and the hard drive appears to spin for a second than it dies off. I'm going to see if warranty will help me out on this one.

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

When the hard drive in my powerbook died. I went to these people and they were able to retrieve all the data off it for me, and it only cost about $100.

7. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I could give that a try, thanks for the suggestion.

8. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Oh dear.

Did you backup your FCP project files and still have the original tapes? Assuming your FCP projects were correctly logged & captured.

9. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

All i have are the original tapes, most of my projects were finished. Some were burned on a dvd, but I'll never get the originals back.

10. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Give the data recovery option a try. Good luck.

11. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

This sucks, I went to the Maxtor website, and put in my serial number to see if I was eligible for a warranty, and it told me to contact the PC manufacturer. This came from eBay, I bought it in January. I contacted the seller to see if he will show mercy on me (hasn't responded yet). I think someone dropped my external hard drive or it must have fallen, I wasn't there though, and all of a sudden it's dead. That's why I want a PowerMac, so it stays in the tower, never touched.

God this weekend sucked.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah, your hard drive was an OEM or "pull" drive so there is no Maxtor warranty. That's why it was cheap. Too late for advice now...

See if you can borrow another case to put it in, or install it internally in a G4, it MAY be a problem with the case power supply. If you are Really Really lucky, and it is a burned component on the circuit board and not a head or motor failure, you might be able to buy another drive of the exact same model, and swap circuit boards. I have done this only once, but it was successful.

Recovery can be costly, depending where you go - TotalRecall, DriveSavers and ActionFront are more usually in the $500-$3000 region. Plus shipping, plus the cost of another drive coz they destroy yours in the process.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about your terrible misfortunes FF_productions. :(

Hopefully things start to improve for you shortly. :)

14. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Damn dude - I feel your pain.
    I lost a drive a few weeks ago, all of my unedited video of my baby girl.

I never want that to happen again, so I bought this:
    http://www.satadrives.com/5hoespomuhad.html

It's worth the money. I have five 300GB Seagate 7200.9's in it. It's split into two arrays. 1/3 is a RAID-0 Strip for speed. and the other 2/3 is a RAID-5 for safe storage.

15. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Maxtor sucks.. i lost around 200gb of work on my maxtor, and i will not pay 2g's for drivesavers...

16. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I've always had good luck with maxtor hard drives. However, I've never had good luck with their all in one (enclosure and HD). I pulled the hard drives from the crappy maxtor enclosure and put it in a nice enclosure and haven't had any problems since.

If I were you I would pull the HD from the enclosure you have and put it in a nice enclosure. You may be able to retrieve your data. It worked for me so give it a try. If I remember correctly I think mine made that same stupid beeping noise...

Nuc

17. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I might try sticking it in another machine to see what happens, could be the enclosure that broke on me. Thanks for the advice everyone.

18. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Wow what a coincidence...The same thing happened to me this week. I lost a Maxtor 300 GB.

Everyone take heed...that backup that you never get around to....DO IT NOW. I knew I had too much on my drive & that my essential files needed backing up, but I was always "too busy". Stupid.

I bought a RAID setup of 1TB, which is now 2 mirrored 500GB sets across four 250GB drives. Cost the same $1000 I just threw away on recovery (that did not totally work, btw).

Learn from our pain, folks. Backup & redundancy are essential.

19. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, I'm gonna run into this again someday. I have 7 LaCie 500GB drives, not mirrored or redundant. I just picked up 2 400GB Seagate drives for $159 each and bought a sexy 2-drive Raid box from OWC, and I'm not sure if I should make an 800GB drive or a mirrored 400GB Drive. I have a nightly backup of all my FCP project files to my .Mac account and several drives, and I always keep my source tapes, so I don't know if redundant backup is such a big deal. Sorry to hear that though dude. I too learned the hard way, hence why I always keep my source files and projects files on separate drives as well as backing up my project files.

20. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I was thinking about starting a thread like this but avoided it... but here goes:

On Tuesday April 11th, 2006 my registry went corrupt on my Dell Latitude D800. No biggie... no real data lost. It just had to be rebuilt, I had to reinstall all of my programs, and start over from a ghost. (The network software my company uses is incredibly complex and simply reparing registry wouldn't fix it... it was better just to start over from scratch.)

On Monday, April 17th, 2006 I was biking down a hill collecting mapping data for Highland Co., Ohio... when apparently a rock bounced up and cracked the screen on my Xplore Tech iX104C2 Tablet... it hit near the center, and the crack spidered to every corner. It's a $4000 tablet, "Damn" I said.

On Tuesday, April 25th, I was driving from site to site in my work truck when I heard a knocking sound. I turned the stereo off and listened... it was coming from my replacement tablet a Fujitsu Stylistic 4121. The hard drive was toast and I lost 1 day of data... a real pisser.

I am currently waiting for another tablet. We ordered two new Xplorer's... but it might be a while.

21. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey man, sorry to hear about that... I personally (and surprisingly) have never had a hard drive go bad on me in my life. But, as my engineering teacher always says:

There are two types of hard drives...
    Those that have died, and those that are going to die. :)

Good luck with the data recovery thing, it sounds like it might be a good option depending on how much the original video meant. (Even if the real video isn't that great, I know it's the hard work that makes it worth so much.)

22. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Yeah I've been in that place a few times. Once, I completely deleted a 25 minute movie I'd been working on, thinking that it was the iDVD project that wasn't working properly. Last February, my G5 hard disk fried and I ran to the Genius Bar to replace it. They managed to restore most of my files. I suppose you could go there, but I don't know if they'd help you.

23. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

maxtor=poo

Lost 300 gigs of a final project to a maxtor drive. :mad:

24. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Ah man, I had to edit a friends video on my internal hard drive...that's a nightmare to deal with...

Later today I'm going to stick this hard drive in another tower and see if it still has life left in it.

25. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I accidently restored my 40 GB iPod (meant to reset factory settings) and had forgot to back up a bunch of quicktime movies I had made a few years ago with a bunch of my friends. I slapped myself in the face and knew I would never see the videos again. I can only imagine losing 150 GB of data! :eek: