Oakbrook, Illinois

Discussion in 'iPhone Purchaser Meetups' started by ascham87, Jun 14, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

ascham87

I waited out here for the original iPhone launch and it's a real nice little area, plenty of food within walking distance and a good bit of shade around too.

2. macrumors member

I'll be at Oak Brook as well. Did the same last year - nice place to wait.

3. macrumors 6502a

I'll be picking mine up from the oak brook apple as well. Last year I showed up opening day at 6:30 and had my phone in my hands a little after 7. The only way I camp is if it turns out to be true that we will have to activate in store. Lines would move much slower.

4. macrumors 68030

I'll be there buying 2. Will likely get there shortly before open. 45 min. max probably. Then I'll bring them home and hubby and I will open them very carefully by washing hands, slicing the plastic at the seams on the bottom, and gliding the box off itself to expose the glory within. Then checking the hacking sites for jailbreak updates. :D Ooo! Then going to iTunes to get apps. Then have the whole weekend to play. I just got a chill.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

ascham87

6. macrumors 68030

Thanks for posting those. Never saw the pics before. I'm very close to Oak Brook Center. Beautiful place.
    I have zero clue, zero ability to envision in my mind, what type of lines we'll have or IF there will BE lines this time. No clue.

7. macrumors 604

gkarris

They made it nicer, they went from the old "PowerBook Prismo" black to the new Apple "Aluminum"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=394207

Now, only if the MacBooks were Aluminum..... :eek:

8. macrumors regular

I'll probably be doing Oakbrook as well with a few friends, how long was the line at it's longest last year? Trying to figure out what our plan is.

9. macrumors 68030

Anyone happen to know what time Mall Security will allow a line to be formed? What time is everyone getting there? I was thinking I'd get there perhaps around 7a.

10. macrumors regular

That's my #1 question as well. I read last year nothing before 5am, but that was a 6pm launch. I'm going to call them on Thursday to see what the store says.

11. macrumors newbie

As I posted in the Chicago forum, the think that keeps me weary of going to Oakbrook was the fact that an Apple Store employee warned me that mall security has been kicking people out. (Yeah, a few employees were still at the store sitting at the genius bar.) Sure enough, on our way out, we were stopped and asked not to come back until the mall opens. We figured we'd say in the parking garage, with the lights off, but were found and chased out too.

I have no clue when the line started forming. When I was there around 3AM, last launch, there were no ropes up, or anything. I ended up going to the Orland Park AT&T store, as the Apple Store in Orland wasn't open yet.

If someone from Oakbrook knows when the line started forming last year, let us know. Otherwise, I think I am going to settle for Orland Park.

12. macrumors 68040

djransom

How was Orland Park? I'm considering going there myself.

13. macrumors 604

gkarris

Malls tend to open for employees at 5 am for those restaurants that serve breakfast and open at 7am.

14. macrumors member

I live near the Oakbrook store, but was thinking of hitting the AT&T Store nearby instead (especially since I can go there in advance and get my credit check out of the way)...anyone with advice as to go with the Apple Store or the AT&T Store? My concern about going to the AT&T Store on launch day is that they won't have as much supply as the Apple Store, and I don't want to get up too early that day. :p

15. macrumors 6502

Farns514

I get done with work at 10:30 thursday night and will swing by both my AT&T Corporate store and the Oakbrook and see if there are lines.

Question is....

Do you think if i get to the Oakbrook apple store at 3a.m. that i would still have a chance at getting a iPhone?

16. macrumors member

I think it will be ok. I plan to get there by 3am. I got there last year at 5:30am and was at the front of the line.

17. macrumors 6502

Farns514

Nice to hear,my brother and i are debating on going to at&t or apple since we both have friday off. i read on gizmodo that they expect apple stores to have anywhere from 750 to 1000 iPhones in stock.

18. macrumors 68000

The Oakbrook Store is small. Too bad I don't have the funds for the iPhone 3G just yet, otherwise I'd go.

What bothers me is that they decided to place the Apple store in an open mall...which is terrible in the winter time.

19. macrumors regular

Anyone know if the Oakbrook store has open WiFi outside of the store like the Woodfield Store does?

20. macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Yes it does.

21. macrumors regular

My friend just went over to the Apple store at Oakbrook, this is what they said:

"Official line at the apple store is that people won't be allowed to line up until 5am"

22. macrumors newbie

Good thing it's not winter!

Not to mention, it's like going to any other free-standing store. You have to get out from your car and walk to the store regardless. Park in the parking garage. All you have to do is walk from the garage to the escalator, turn right and Apple Store is literally the second set of doors.

(As for how was the Orland Park store? Orland Square Apple Store wasn't open yet. As for the AT&T in Orland Park, the line formed late in the day. I got there a few hours at launch and I was literally 7th in line.)

23. macrumors regular

I'm thinking 3am arrival to see if they'll let a line start that early, what does everyone else been thinking?

24. macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

My gang was planning on catching a midnight movie, getting breakfast somewhere, then heading over to Oakbrook which was going to put us there around 3:00ish. I'm not sure what to make of the 5 AM thing though. I really don't think inventory is a problem as much as I don't want to have to wait for 6 years for 300 people who don't know you have to activate it there to be explained how cellular contracts work.

25. macrumors regular

Midnight movie, great idea. Hellboy 2 I assume. I'd do the same if I can convince my gf to come with, but she's not getting one (getting my old one) so doesn't want to wait with us.