oakland raiders of old

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Sep 16, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the old oakland raiders (with oldest average age of any nfl team ever) looked like the raiders of old last night beating the steelers, a more "talented" team

how long do you think the old men of oakland can keep this up? next year, the raiders are going to get slapped with salary cap issues which will put them back in the nfl doghouse and the age issue a year later won't be helpful either with the great jerry rice being 40 then

raiders fans like me in the bay area know that the last two years and this year are the three years the raiders stand the best chance of getting their 4th super bowl ring

with the cap issues and age, the raiders will fall off the map next season

on another note, will age catch up with barry bonds of the san francisco giants or will the man catch and surpass hank aaron's home run record?

in the bay area, it's down to the wire for the oakland raiders, sf giants, and in some respects, for the san francisco 49ers

the oakland A's look good for now and they may get yet another world series ring;)

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Go 'Niners! Go Giants!

That's all I have to say. :)

3. diorio macrumors 6502a

Personally, the raiders are probably my least favorite team. I'm a Broncos fan, and the two teams have a kind of rivalry. I'd say Barry Bonds has got a couple of good years left, but as for the raiders winning the super bowl, I'd have to say sorry,but the Broncos are going to win.:)

4. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I, myself, am a Broncos' fan. I am surprised that they are currently 2-0. Nonetheless, I have to say 49ers suck! just cuz we just beat you guys and Raiders suck! because, after all, I am a Broncos' fan! Heh.... GO BRONCOS!

Anh

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i didn't think the broncos had a life after elway, but it looks like the broncos will have another dynasty, even without the great john elway of the 80s and 90s

he played for us at stanford so he is well liked in california for those of us who remember him:D

6. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Me, I'm a Twins and Vikings fan. Problem is, the Vikings suck...their quarterback has 3+ turnovers in each of their first two games, and the kicker MISSES THE DAMN PAT. I've never seen that happen before, and he MISSES TWICE.:mad: :mad: :mad:

On a brighter note, the Twins clinched the central division (where is the competition? Chicago? no Cleveland? no KC? oh hell no:D) Will they make it past Oakland or Anaheim? We'll see ;)

Gawd Minnesota sports suck right now.:(

Oh yeah, go raiders, this is their last chance...

Sorry about my rant on how crappy the Vikes are playing...hope they don't go 0-16 :)

7. diorio macrumors 6502a

The Broncos are actually looking good for once since Elway left. I think they might actually have a shot this year.:)

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Anything is possible. They did win a superbowl. Though they do seem to be looking up thus far.

9. diorio macrumors 6502a

Actually, they won two superbowls, but then stunk for 3 years. Now, I think the defence is better and so is Brian Greise. I don't know how the Broncos will perform against the really good teams, but they look solid against teams like San Fransico.

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

steve mariucci predicted that the two hardest teams to beat in football this year will be the broncos and the dolphins

both ironically won back to back superbowls when they were red hot but won at no other time i can remember though they did go to other superbowls that they lost...but it's the ones that a team wins that are remembered in history

while the raiders did win three superbowls in a short period of time in the mid 70s to mid 80s, they lost superbowl II to the green bay packers, but what i like to remember is the years of stabler, plunkett, and wilson as QBs

11. diorio macrumors 6502a

You're right about the Broncos winning back to back superbowls but not being hot anytime else. In fact they lost 3 or 4 in a row before winning one.

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

they lost those 4 superbowls before winning even one, and three of those losses were with elway...but the broncos were hot, but not good enough to beat their nfc counterparts

jim kelly of the bills went to the superbowl four times in a row, and this hall of fame quarterback just got beaten by better or luckier nfc teams

if kelly or elway were with the cowboys or niners, they would each have three or four superbowl rings on their fingers now...but elway does have two

in elway's first superbowl win, he didn't really have a good game as a quarterback, but the rest of the broncos, most of them, had a great game and terrell davis ran like the wind and won mvp honors

the next year when the broncos won again, elway had one of those vintage great days and he won the mvp for that second superbowl win

he left the game a winner...a double winner and though i rooted against the broncos for many years, i was really happy for the team and for john elway

13. diorio macrumors 6502a

Those were the good times. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of them to come...

14. 3777 macrumors 6502

JAY FIEDLER IS GOD

JAY FIEDLER IS GOD

P.S. Why is this thread more valuble then my Len & Nick thread...... surely you football fans are also upset by what's happened with Inside the NFL:confused:

15. diorio macrumors 6502a

I don't actually get HBO, but I might watch Inside the NFL if I had it. Thats why I didn't really know what you were talking about in your Oh my god HBO thread.