Obama calls for universal health care

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 25, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

i'm liking that so many candidates are calling for it now. is it just a matter of time before we get it?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

With half of congress Republican the U.S. will never have universal healthcare. They are very happy that many Companies make big profits off of illness. Even those companies that contribute absolutely nothing like the insurance giants.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

One of my standing predictions has been that we'd get universal health care when the corporations demanded it. Recently, this has started to happen. The balance may be tipping in favor, finally.

I wonder if Obama is going to offer an actual plan, or stick to his "core values" and "agnosticism" about how it gets done.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'm thinking the latter.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

CW is it's suicide to offer details on a plan while you're campaigning. disappointing, imo. so even if sen obama does have a plan, i don't think we'd see details until much, much later.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Obama makes some good points because Healthcare and Education are skyrocketing when compared to anything else. I think every child should have access to healthcare and to a education system that takes them through say a jr college level of education. At the moment we like to build jails not minds, we like to build bombs and ignore healthcare and these two are hardcore republican christian values. Think about this those of you who are republican flag wavers.

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Isn't this what Hilary Clinton did when she was the first lady to Bill several years ago. If my memory serves me correctly, she got burned. In USA, I just don't believe there would be the universal coverage. This country will stay as it is, which is to say there would be a big divide between rich and poor.

If I am going to keep living in USA, I don't want the universal coverage which raises my taxes. I don't want to subsidize someone's bad health (note: USA is one of the most obese countries in the world) with my tax money.).

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I only hope he sticks true to his word when he becomes our next president. :D

I also hope that all of the spoiled ****ers whining about taxes put themselves in other peoples positions before opening their mouths.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Her plan was a bureaucratic nightmare. And she had to face a Republican Congress that hated her. Still, it brought up some interesting points and got us talking about it for awhile.

You can always buy more and better coverage just like you always could, but those who have nothing would get at least something.

That's a very selfish view that we've been discussing in the SOTU thread. You're paying for it anyway when those who have no insurance go to the ER and/or can't pay their bills. The number 1 reason for bankruptcy is medical bills that can't be payed.

We can't afford not to have healthcare for everyone, and every other developed country seems to be able to pull it off.

11. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

When I first came to this country (from India) I couldn't quite understand as to what this whole healthcare business was all about. It shocked me that people paid $300 on an average, for 'health insurance' for their families. And, that $300 didn't cover everything. My sister-in-law had to undergo a CT scan and she had to fork out $5000.. and she pays insurance every month. What the hell is the use of paying insurance if you're going to get screwed anyway?

In India, there is no health insurance. Medicines are cheap, doctor's fees are something like $1 for a prescription.. x-rays for $4.. root canal treatment for $50 and so on. Every person can afford health care.. and those who cannot.. go to the local government hospitals (really basic hospitals - with good staff and medicines, but no 'vending machines' :p or gift shops) where treatment is meted out for free.

It's tragic and a shame that the world's most developed country can't afford to give out basic healthcare to all its citizens. Why does everything here have to be so expensive? At least when it comes to the medical field? It puts me off when all I see is money involved when it comes to basic treatment of people. I remember when I we had to read out loud the ethics of medicine ('you will treat every patient as equal', ' you will not deny any patient medical treatment on any grounds' etc) as I graduated from medical school.. none of that applies here.

12. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

India has a big divide between the rich and poor too, every country has that. But that doesn't mean that everyone should not have the basic right to medical care.

I don't think it is necessary to raise taxes for a universal healthcare system, there is a lot of money mismanagement.. that's all. If the money was used properly, we would have free healthcare, education, etc. Oh well..

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Would you object if it didn't raise your out-of-pocket costs? (ie if the tax increase was less than what you pay now in premiums plus co-pays etc.)

Would you still object on principle?

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's funny you should mention that, considering you have vaguely proposed that "special consideration" should be given to some in difficult situations, while simutaneously suggesting that others in difficult situations need to "make changes".

(removed trademarked comment as per cease and desist notice)

:rolleyes:

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Things have changed a lot since Hilary was shot down. Corporate America's profits and competitiveness are being seriously impacted by massive health care cost increases. There's either $12,000 a year policies or $40,000 a year emergency room care. The system is broke and since insurance companies are doing their utmost to ensure that only the healthiest individuals are offered health insurance. The end result is total meltdown.

Right now you are paying through your taxes for everyone who visits the ER and doesn't have insurance. You are paying through higher insurance premiums because fewer and fewer people have insurance. You are paying because drug companies have unlimited access to federal research and Medical/Medicare/VA dollars and the feds don't demand anything in return.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I also pay for medical coverage, and still had to pay several thousand dollars the last time I went to the hospital. I was there a couple of hours, they doped me up, and sent me home with a prescription that was cheaper to buy generic out of pocket than use my insurance. I also had to pay for half of the ambulance. That's all the coverage that job offered. Pretty much the norm now. You're either paying way too much, paying yet still getting almost nothing, or just going without. And the people who have insurance don't want to pay more taxes for people who don't, not realizing they already do.

Even ignoring the obvious selfishness, doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"I've got mine" is a logic all it's own.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

My friend's 6 year old is like that.

She has to keep giving her time-outs all the time.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Don't get me started. ;)

20. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

If that is possible, that would be an interesting plan which may be worth studying further. However, I am not sure how that can be achieved. By looking at the stats on obesity in USA (among other data), this country has many indulgent people who tend to follow the path of unhealthy life style (bad eating habit, lack of exercise, and etc). I just feel the cost will go up as many people start get treated under "universal coverage" and this may cause longer waiting to set up appointments with health care providers.
    If this universal health care is going to be launched, I hope the legislators will make this program available only to the citizen and "legal" aliens/immigrants only.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Must be the emotional age of your average Libertarian...

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not universal then, is it? Let go of your market-driven fantasy.

23. iGav macrumors G3

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm certain that those inventive Americans can come up with an improved version without all the baggage of the various European models.

25. iGav macrumors G3

What... you mean that they might even treat fat people and smokers too?