Obama considering 2008 presidential run?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vniow, Oct 22, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

http://www.forbes.com/infoimaging/feeds/ap/2006/10/22/ap3110151.html

2. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

That was fast. Isn't this his first senatorial term?

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Didn't stop Edwards in '04… but look what that got him.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

His first, yes -- but it isn't as though a long stay in the Senate is a great jumping-off point to the presidency, and that is what he might well have if he takes a pass in '08. Taking a shot at it in the fourth year of his Senate term has to be very tempting.

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Isn't Obama a Black Guy? :eek:

Them boys down is Mississippi aren't going to like that. ;)

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Kennedy had only one term in the Senate before becoming President. Lincold had only 1 term as a Congresman before becoming the President 12 years later. Unfortunately, the Democrats have no ther real winners in the mix, either.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So is this Obama guy any good? It's kinda hard for anyone outside the US to get a feeling for who might next lead the country because - at least to me - it all seems to come together relatively late. Here you know who's going to be contesting the next election because the PM will be the leader of the party who wins so we get to know both of the candidates over at least 3 years before voting.

We also don't vote directly for a PM (unless the PM is also your local member) - we vote for a local member who belongs to a certain party and the leader of the party who wins the majority of seats in the House of Reps becomes PM. It's normally down to two people because we only have 2 really big parties with the numbers to win an election.

So who is going to be running in 2008? Can they just be anyone? I can't find a list of definite candidates anywhere - is it too early? It's only just over 2 years, surely they should be getting out there a bit by now?

Oooh, it's nearly November, you know what that means. At the end of November we'll be closer to the end of W than we are to the beginning of his second and last term.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

his father is kenyan. mother is white and from the midwest (kansas, iirc).

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Oh so that's where that name comes from.... if his Daddy was plain old African American, it would have been something like "Williams" or "Jackson." :D

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So more along the lines of "greyish?" ;)

11. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I would say Coffee Mate, but I don't want to sound racist. ;)

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Might be nice, seems like a good enough guy. But never going to happen. Same with Condi, or Hillary. Neither of which I, nor most of the rest of America, like much. This is a dream of the MSM. None of them have a chance in Hades of winning.

Hillary would be a wet dream for the neocons, as they think they could probably get anybody elected against her... and they're probably right.

13. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Saying the name "Hillary" and "Wet Dream" in the same sentence, there's got to be some irony there. :D

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Racist. :p

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, I think so. He's very smart, personable, articulate, moderate and young, and he has a compelling personal story. He won his first Senate race in Illinois with an amazing 70% of the vote. He's a rising star in the Democratic party, to be sure. The open question is whether his time has come. I'm beginning to hope that he throws his hat into the ring. Obama will provide such a stark contrast to Bush that I think even if he isn't nominated, a lot more people will start paying attention to national politics.

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

True. Also, if he runs he may just end up being the V.P. nominee as well.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A political kiss of death? I hope not.

18. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Kiss of Death, directed by one of my favorite directors Barbet Schroeder.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113552/

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

after he gave his speech at the '04 Dem convention, i had several out-of-state friends call me and ask, "who the hell is this guy? he's awesome!"

i do think he should run for IL governor, and then look at a presidential run.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Obama would gain more political experience in the senate rather than being a governor. 08 seems early, but 2012 is on the way.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

At this point, I'm gonna guess we're probably going to have a Dem as Pres. Almost any of them can win. Who does the other side have? Cheney, Frist, McCain? As long as it's isn't Hillary for the Dems with Obama as VP, I think they can skate in with some dork none of us have ever heard of.

Sadly, I don't even think by 2016 we'd be ready. Not yet. We still have a long way to go.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if you check recent presidents, the tendency is for governors rather than senators to get elected. seems that once someone has a senatorial record, regardless of how it is, it somehow gets used against him.

not sure why the same isn't true of governors -- not as much foreign policy stuff i suppose may be part of it.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats the last thing we need, we need a person in the Whitehouse who will work for the people and isnt corrupted,polluted and bought off by the corporations. I hope he does run because we need a Human in the whitehouse who isnt a partison s.o.b. A moderate who can work with both sides is perfect. If not then pehaps someone like Bill Richardson from New Mexico.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In the Senate they cast a lot of votes both for and against omnibus bills, which include laundry-list items that their opponents can later say they were "for" or "against."

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that makes sense. shame, really, in how that bogus process weeds out some good candidates. we're so ****ing short-sighted.