Obama exploring Presidential run?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vniow, Jan 16, 2007.

1. vniow macrumors G4

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=ax7pLgm4kL_k&refer=home

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

This country desparately needs Barack Obama. Not only for us, and our children, but our children's children. Granted, the only reason I'd support Hilary is because I admire Bill for his political abilities (not private life), and I'm sure he'd have quite a bit of sway if she were elected President. Yet, I think Barack is an incredible man who has more intelligence, charisma, and a true understanding of people in his pinky toe than GW could ever imagine having.

I hope him being black doesn't present any problems, or his middle name being Hussein, but knowing our country, I'm sure they both will be major issues, especially for Southern voters. Those that say racism is no longer prevalent in our society are vastly mistaken.

The fact is that he graduated top of his class from Columbia, top of his class at Harvard Law School, and dedicated years of his life to pro bono work and helping those who truly need it in inner city Chicago. He is a great man; and I for one, will be doing my damndest to try to get him elected. Every time I watch his speech from the DNC I get chills up my spine; he's a born leader that commands your attention whenever you see or hear him.

P.S. In addition, he was one of the very few people that voted against the war in Iraq from the very beginning. Keep in mind, when running for Senate in Illinois, out of the 6 major candidates, he was the only one who stood on that side of the fence regarding the war. Also, he had 1/10 the funds that the front-runner did during that election, and managed to beat every candidate in a landslide victory. I would NOT underestimate this man.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... someone most Democrats could vote for without holding their nose. That would be a vast improvement over previous cycles.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'm all for having some new faces in the presidential race, that's for sure. I thought it was a bit premature when people were preparing for the coronation of Hillary before the campaign even began. It's been a while since the presidential race was wide open like this with no incombants. I'm looking forward to the debate.;)

5. Queso macrumors G4

Although I would love Obama to become US President, I feel that the establishment over there would do whatever it takes to prevent it.

And most of you probably get what I'm referring to, horrific as the thought is.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

On the contrary, I think Obama has 25% chance to be the next president. Maybe more.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I love it. You conservatives are scared as hell of this guy. Take that! :) And I think he could get elected quite easily.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

How am I a conservative and why am I scared?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I always thought you were. :) Am I wrong? And it seems to me that most conservatives are freaked out by Obama, judging by their dismissiveness of him. They know damn well he can win.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Of all the Democrats likely to try to run, I hope Obama makes it.

And about the southern votes that Veritas&Equitas talked about: The people that wouldn't vote for somebody because of their name wouldn't be likely to vote Democrat anyways. He won't be losing any votes in the south. In fact, he'd probably be gaining votes in the south since he would pretty much be gauranteed the black southern vote. There was a good article about this in Newsweek at the beginning of the year.

11. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

It's probably that excellent shot of Al Gore that's giving it away :)
    I guess also, in another thread, you put liberal + propaganda in the same sentence (Children of Men thread). "Liberal Propaganda" is commonly used by conservatives online and in media (e.g. Fox News).

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

of all the "possibly running" crowd, i like sen obama the most.

but i wonder if all this hype is going to eventually hurt him. the first little bit of dirt that surfaces (alleged affair? undocumented maid?) is going to deflate all those high expectations.

right now he is without flaw. the first one is going to be costly.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i tend to think of myself as more independent, but i think 25% is pretty good odds of winning considering Sen. Clinton will most likely run as well.

Also everyone should consider that anyone who is running for president has to raise around 100 million dollars to come close to winning. Not that Obama cant raise that, which I think he can, but that means he's in a lot of peoples pockets.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

true, but the trick is being able to recognize liberal/conservative propaganda when it comes at you. One doesnt have to be conservative to recognize lefty propaganda.

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I don't like Obama. I think the only reason he's popular is because he's somehow the "anti-Hillary" and he's to have caught the attention of the media. Apparently even he himself has fallen for the hype.

He'll run a good campaign, sure, and it'll be super-covered by the media but I don't think he'll be nominated, or win.

Personally, I'd vote for Kucinich given the chance, and I've heard Feingold might be good as well.

The biggest article I've seen about Obama talked about what a great Christian he is, (Newsweek or somesuch) and turned me off of him. What's his political philosophy? I'm obviously super-liberal but he doesn't strike me as such.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Conservatives would love it if Hillary got the nomination. Even I wouldn't vote for her. I'm afraid she'd be just like Bush, except to the other extreme. No one needs that. I think she would go down in flames.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

meaning smart? :)

she's garnered a lot of negativity, even from dems, from what i've seen. but i bet that after some speeches and debates, your opinion of her would improve.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- partisan left. She'd be just as divisive.

She'd have to do a LOT of convincing. I don't know anyone outside of these forums who'd vote for her.

19. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

OMG! We agree? :cool:

Actually a Smeagle/Lurch - er, I mean Kucinich/Kerry ticket- would be my preference, but a Hillary/McKinney ticket would be my second choice.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not name, but race. Take my grandparents for example. Sadly, they're racist...very racist. Unless you're a white Jew, they don't like you. Even though they've always voted Democrat, my grandma said (and my grandpa would agree) "I'm not voting for Obama, he's just going to give this country to the n**gers" Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean, I dunno, but there are Democrats out there who are racist and would refuse to vote for him.

Crap like this makes me glad I'm not close to my grandparents at all, and more importantly, I'm glad my dad or myself are not like them one bit.

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Link

When I heard this it really soured me on Obama, but I have to admit it's a shrewd political trick. Playing to white liberals' guilt might prove to be a powerful tool for siphoning votes away from Hillary.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm confused as to why this turned you off. Isn't he referring to the presidential election, not the primary?

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The danger is in peaking too soon. This happens to candidates with little more than a superficial appeal. By all rights it should have happened to George W. It's up to Obama to prove that he's got the depth to get past that first hurdle. Myself, I get that second coming of RFK feeling about him. I hope it sticks.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

why hillary clinton is considers so bad still amazes me from time to time

that said i think from what i heard about Obama (which isn't all that much) he might be quite a good candidate ... he isn't a "me too" republican light candidate like Kerry and thus might generate more votes

how many african american senators are there actually ?