Obama faces BlackBerry and Apple laptop ban

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 16, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: Obama faces BlackBerry and Apple laptop ban
    Description:: The President-elect and ‘geek-in-chief’ isn't happy at being forced to give up his favourite gadgets once he moves into the Oval Office.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I can semi understand the phone, perhaps they could provide him a presidential blackberry or something but this isn't something he'll really need in the presidency. However I think a man should be able to bring his faithful Macintosh with him I mean come on!
    Well unless you could ask one to be provided to you...

3. macrumors 68040

iParis

So are they just going to make him throw them away or something?

I have an idea on how getting rid of the BlackBerry is positive, he could get an iPhone!

Let the man have his MacBook!
    Wait! Get an iMac or a Mac Pro.

4. macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Aw man, I thought he would have quit smoking already.

5. macrumors 6502

Will_reed

Most likely It will be put into storage somewhere.

6. macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

i can understand a blackberry or iphone but mac???

7. macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i feel sorry for the guy, especially no laptop

8. macrumors 68040

Hehe, like in prison.

Can't believe the president isn't allowed a phone or a computer.

9. macrumors newbie

tfredvik

Lucky guy, he's getting back his 4 (hopefully 8) year old laptop and iPhone when he moves out of the White House...

10. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Surely he's allowed them, as long as they're officially provided by the White House IT department.

11. macrumors 68020

samh004

The ban is so all correspondence can be logged, surely if his email goes through their own servers, it'll be logged, and even if they don't allow him to use email, I don't see why he couldn't just use his laptop to store photos, play music and maybe make a movie.

12. macrumors newbie

My experience was....

I had the honor of being part of a bid team to put a new sound system in the Senate Chamber. I didn't win the bid but it's the one they are using now.
    Anyway I was really surprised at the things that weren't allowed. Security is job one for those folks. You would be amazed at how smart they are. Sometimes it's the simplest of answers. Why can't he use a Mac Book? Mac Books can be picked up and carried off. Either by the bad guy or the good guy. Can THEY guarantee the good guy will always have it in a safe place, no. That's just one example. Blackberries I don't know about at a hacking level. Don't own one. But same deal, could be carried off. Don't all Blackberries go through a central server? Hmmmm National secrets, aka President's vacation plans, going through a central server watched by someone without security clearance. BTW Isn't that server in Canada??? Just going off what I remeber from Steve's iPhone intro speech.
    Actually let's look at a worst case scenario. Obama is in his limo and it gets attacked. Car is disabled, not everyone dies but laptop or Blackberry can be grabbed and carried away.
    Just a few examples. BTW that's why the Oval Office had an old rotary dial phone for so long. It was secured.

13. macrumors 6502

Will his kids be able to have a system that they can play games on with out needing IT to be there for all the time to unlock the system for updates, new games , mods and more?

14. macrumors 603

wordmunger

NY Times says the laptop will stay

While he may lose the blackberry, he's probably still going to have a laptop:

15. macrumors member

Wait--let me get this straight. They're making him sacrifice his Mac for a Windows PC...because they are concerned about data integrity and security?!

This is a joke, right?

16. macrumors 603

wordmunger

No, the security issue is having any PC.

17. macrumors newbie

Obama's First Day

IT Guy: I'm sorry Mr. President, but you can't have that Mac on your desk.

President: Yes, I can.

IT Guy: We don't support Macs.

President: You do now.

IT Guy: But we don't have a way to log email, or to secure this properly.

President: Well, you had better figure that one out quick, or I'll have to find someone who can.

IT Guy: Yes, sir.

End of story.

18. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Definitely four.

19. macrumors member

That's what I mean--they're asking him to give up the MOST secure, reliable system around, so that his data will be on a PC instead. It's like requiring the US government to abandon the gold standard and use Flooz and Paypal for all transactions--for the sake of safety and security!

20. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Politics is too old fashioned.

I find it funny how many politicians try to capture people via YouTube. Those in the UK will know about David Cameron (knob). Obama seems more natural about posting his weekly addresses to America on YouTube as a politician.

Shame he won't be able to use his Mac to create the YouTube videos.

21. Guest

sangosimo

why would he uses his mac to create the video; He has a whole production team doing all the recording an editing. It would be awesome if the members of his cabinet used a service like twitter (lanonica or yammer) to communicate.

22. macrumors demi-god

Where did you read anything about a PC in the article?

23. macrumors 603

notjustjay

No. To continue your example, it would be like requiring the US government to abandon ANY publicly available currency -- no gold, no cash, no PayPal or Flooz -- so that there's NO chance of fraud from the outside.

The point is that (according to the article) he can't bring in a computer of any kind, not a Mac, not a Windows PC, not a Linux box.

24. macrumors demi-god

From what I've read, that's always been a personal choice of the president (to not use a computer for communications).

25. sfh
    macrumors regular

I may not care for the guys plans but that bites that they wont let him have what he wants. apple needs to come out with iPresident at MWSF