Obama orders federal pay freeze lifted, $1,000,000,000 in increases next year

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewitt, Dec 29, 2012.

1. thewitt, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

macrumors 68000

thewitt

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a bone head move. What the **** are these guys thinking? While it's only a ½ of 1% or about $1 billion a year, this just sends the wrong message from this administration.

By the way Mr. Witt, a billion has 9 zeroes.

3. likemyorbs, Dec 29, 2012

macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Wow. This is ridiculous. I fully disagree with this move. But since we're on the topic, what other fiscally irresponsible things has Obama done to piss you off? I think he has a pretty solid fiscal record, especially when compared to our former president.

4. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

But Congress was not effected by the pay freeze. They get a raise every year unless they vote against it.
    Also pay freezes are not good in general. First it means you are effectively giving a pay cut to the people every year. Also now employee can not earn raises for work and so on.
    Pay freezes causes you to loose employees and it cost a lot more to train new ones than deal with the raises.

5. rdowns, Dec 29, 2012

macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is there nothing you will criticize Obama for?

I'm sure all those politicians and judges would seek employment elsewhere without this raise. :rolleyes:

And did you even read the article? Senators and Congressmen are listed on the Executive Order.

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

WOW !!

A 0.5% pay-rise !! When inflation is at what ??

Those squeezy scumbags are really milking you all :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Didn't Obama extend the pay freeze several months ago for another two years? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but is there another source for this?

8. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The amount of money is not the point. The point is we are having a knock down, drag out fight over tax rates and spending cuts and a raise is given to workers making big bucks. Not to mention how this will only antagonize the Republicans.

9. macrumors 65816

A pay raise the doesn't even keep up with the inflation rate.

Governing a nation costs money.

Try not to be too shocked about it.

10. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Is it really ? Cos those who were listed on that article will hardly get 1 billion $ over a 0.5% increase .... we would be talking bout 200 billion in combined paychecks (before the raise) so I wonder how far the line does this raise go ? Or is that 1 billion number just made up ?

11. macrumors Core

MacNut

How many senators are there again?

There are a lot of federal workers, not just elected officials.

12. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Thats the point I was trying to make :p

For me it seems that this will affect far more people than senators or jigh-ranking federal judges, but a lot of ordinary people making medicore wages that haven't kept up with inflation due to that pay freeze.

13. macrumors Core

MacNut

Fair enough.:p

This also could be a ploy to get more taxes by giving them raises. It just doesn't look good seeing someone in government get a pay raise while we are about to go over the cliff.

14. macrumors 603

Isn't this for ALL federal workers and not just the VP/Congress/judges?

Assuming that, I fail to see a problem here. There are hundreds of federal workers who are making nowhere near what these Congressmen & such have been making but their wages have been frozen too.

You can't keep them frozen forever while the costs of goods and living continue to increase. Wages have to at least increase with inflation.

This is just more anti-Obama whining. I swear if people actually focused on trying to fix the problems instead of whining and blaming Obama for every problem they've ever had in their lives maybe we could finally fix some of our problems.

Doubtful though, this is America where everyone likes to blame anyone but themselves and expects everyone else to work for free even though they can never have enough money.

15. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Get back to me when the Republicans are willing to talk about cutting the defense budget.

16. macrumors Core

MacNut

No one side is without blame in this. Obama could easily pull us out of these wars, so he is just as much to blame.

17. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I know I have on these forums multiple on being critcal of Obama.

As for Senators and congressmen I have felt for a long time they are grossly over paid. Also I might like to point out those right wing wing nuts you oh so much love were the same group that refused to vote on a bill that would of had their pay cut during the government shut down and I am willing to bet that those same people would also refuse to vote to cut their own pay.

18. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you want people to do it properly its a damn hard job. The Senators for California represent 15 million people or so.

19. macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya taking money from lobbyists sure sounds difficult.:rolleyes:

20. Guest

Now they can buy even more guns

21. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you don't want them to do that then you have to pay them properly directly.

22. macrumors Core

MacNut

They are elected public servants, they are not there to get rich they are there to represent us.

23. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then you won't get anyone good and non-corrupt who isn't a total idealist.

And realistically idealists aren't great - look at the Republicans who won't compromise.

24. macrumors Core

MacNut

I would love to see these people get out of the spotlight and photo ops and actually do right for the country. I dont care what their base wants, 30% of the country is not the majority. These people should be thinking down the middle and coming together on a long term plan. I blame the Democrats, Republicans and administration for all pointing fingers and playing the blame game. They need to get their head out of their asses and get to work.

25. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

But that would require them doing there job. Clearly they are not