Obama to pick Chuck Hagel as Pentagon chief

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wrkactjob, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Good choice? Some label him anti Israel?

"The Jewish lobby intimidates a lot of people up here," Mr Hagel was quoted as saying. "I'm a United States senator. I'm not an Israeli senator."

2. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't know if he is anti-Israel or not, but it is time to get someone in there who realizes it's the US department of defence and not the Israeli one. Unfortunately usually when someone in the US government is labeled as Anti-Israel it usually turns out that they are pro Israel, but just not quite as extreme as some would like.

3. macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Bingo. Just because he doesn't have his head buried up the Israeli lobby's collective arse, doesn't mean he's "anti-Israel." I think he's going to take a fair, realistic approach to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict which is exactly what is needed. Israel is just as much an instigator as the Palestinians are.

I also like that he's a retired Army sergeant. While I fully respect and admire officers (my father is a retired AF officer), I think it's awesome to have someone who has spent time "in the trenches" with the guys doing the bulk of the fighting. He knows what war means from a real-life perspective and doesn't seem to favor conflict if it isn't absolutely necessary. He's the first enlisted official to ever hold the position. He also seems to take a more practical, pragmatic approach to defense spending. Building a more efficient military is exactly what I want to see from the SoD.

I also respect that he's willing to acknowledge his missteps regarding LBGT appointed officials (14 years ago) and adjust his views. I just hope the LBGT community doesn't try to hang that around his neck as a scarlet letter. People and their views can change over 14 years... mine certainly have.

Besides - Nebraskans are good people in my book. :D

4. rdowns, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He is being nominated for Secretary of Defense for the US, not Israel. He is highly qualified and should breeze through confirmation.

As for the Republicans, on a jihad against him, that should tell you how highly qualified he is. They're only interested in someone who will put Israel's interests over that of the US and is willing to go to war with Iran.

We need some major change in the DoD. Our DoD budget has risen at ridiculous levels since 2001. Add a few trillion more in homeland security (much of it wasteful) and one can easily see why we're where we're at. Of course we need to fix Medicare and Medicaid but the real money is in defense.

[​IMG]

5. macrumors G5

leekohler

6. macrumors 68000

mcrain

It will be interesting to watch the sharks eat one of their own.

7. macrumors G4

skunk

Again? Are you sure?

8. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I thought this was an excellent primer of where ae are with regard to the DoD. I urge you to go read the whole article.

Oops. I can't even claim the n key is near the q key.

9. macrumors regular

You will give it a day or two....

10. macrumors G5

leekohler

Nah, looked into him a little bit ago when this first started hitting the news.

11. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What have you got? From what I've read, his remarks on the gay ambassador were asinine, not to mention his past support of DOMA, but a SoD doesn't implement his own policy, he implements the President's policy. His apology was lame but I don't think this disqualifies him for SoD.

As for his supposed Jewish problem, I read an outstanding piece, defending him on that at, of all places, The Weekly Standard.

12. macrumors 68040

bradl

As one born/raised in Omaha, he gets the nod just on this alone. ;)

BL.

13. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

This is good news. Hagel represents the US, not Israel.

14. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The group who seem to be the most anti Israel in the world are the Israeli government - who seem to spend their whole time burning bridges with everyone else.

3 votes against the Palestinian state at the UN is a very small number in support of Israel.

15. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Do you have anything of substance to add to this thread? Or are you just here to wave the Israeli flag?

16. macrumors 68000

thewitt

There won't be any issues with his confirmation. It was a safe pick.

17. macrumors G5

leekohler

OMG- we actually agree on something.

18. macrumors G4

skunk

Be afraid.

19. Happybunny, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

macrumors 68000

Happybunny

I think that counts as one of the portents of the apocalypse.:eek:

Back to thread.

Everything that I read about this man, makes him a fantastic choice for heading the Department of Defence.