Obama urges Dems to keep the faith

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 29, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm disturbed by this. This might be a good political move for Obama and I like the man, but why do Democrats need to become Republicans to win elections? I think a better approach would be to stand FOR something rather than becoming "Republicans Lite".

I feel Dems need to get morality back from the Republicans, but why with religion? I think this is a bad way to go.

EDIT: see post #16. I read the speech in it's entirety and changed my mind.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-obama29.html

2. iGary Guest

iGary

The problem wih the deomcratic party is that there is like zero leadership. None. Nada. Zip. No platform, no ideas, nothing. It's a shame.

The problem with Republicans is that they suck. :)

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think Christians should feel that they can be democrats and still be Christian. There's the weird obligatory feeling within the Christian community that you have to be Republican.

But I agree, I don't think the democratic party needs to be more religiously oriented. It's not the right thing to do, this is a democracy of reason, religious views have no place in the government unless they are reasonable.

e

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well said.

the thing is, i don't disagree that, politically, they need to not offend (and even welcome) religious people (not just christians). but to make it a point seems forced (and a bit phony)...

e- your first line says it all

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I agree. There is also an obligatory feeling in the Gay community that you have to be a Democrat, too. ;)

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

and a feeling in the republican community that if you're gay, we don't want you! ;)

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It seems totally phony and put-on. I don't think any Democrat who's Christian feels unwelcome. I think they feel uncomfortable with wacky evangelicals, that's why they're Democrats.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I gues that's why I am a regietered Independent, now. :p :D

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think you're right about christian democrats, but i do think that many religions non democrats feel put off by the democratic party as anti-religion. whether founded or not (unfounded, really).

gary-yeah, i am not affiliated to any party. and i wouldn't donate to any party either (specific campaigns, maybe).

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Again we agree:D The democrats have allowed the republicans to wrap themself in the bible and then claim it hence all those so called christians supporting a president who's responsible for 50,000 dead Iraqi's and 2,500 dead Americans. Meanwhile over the past 20 yrs the democrats have alienated the religious. I suggest the democrats find the American worker,the Taxpayer. Seems no one represents these folks.

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, I agree.

It's scary how many evangelicals we have nowadays. Let's just do this:

[​IMG]

credit to John Stewart for that :).

e

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

keep in mind though: who is the political hero of the prime minister of canada??? ;)

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The Democrats have indeed alienated the religious wackos, not sensible religious people.

But I agree with that second part of what you're saying- workers especially.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yes, both parties are spectacularly unimpressive right now.

I am quite moderate, really, but when we are presented with the 2 choices that we have, the choice is painfully clear. :(

e

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The Democrats can do the whole Christian thing, they just need to frame it right. What is more Christian than eliminating poverty? Being stewards of the environment? Eliminating the death penalty? Working to eliminate the suffering wars bring? Supporting the family by raising the minimum wage so people aren't working 2 or 3 jobs and missing time with their spouse and kids? Providing health care to the sick and needy?

All of those are Christian values. Democrats can run on any and all of them.

It's just not the politics of hatred and fear that the right uses to mobilize it's voters.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The Dems have quite a few Christian values, but they don't hype them as such. The liberal ideal seems to be inclusive, so by trying to include the non-religious, they offend the zealots. To them, it seems even the idea that there are people out there who aren't Christian offends them. Luckily, not all Christians are that bad, but some do seem to lean more to the right when it comes to gays and abortion. Those same people have no problem ignoring what Christians are supposed to stand for, which, as mac mentioned above, is more along with the liberals.

As I've said, some are just using religion to justify their hatred.

18. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

scem0
    I agree. Can it ever be possible to have a politician that is not deeply religous or is pretending to be?

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Indeed it is possible, but they'll be hard put to it to win office.

20. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I think it's a shame that the only way for a politician to win office is to appease the evangelistic christians.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This country isn't ready for a high-ranking non-christian politician. Remember, it's been less than 20 years since a former president (campaigning for prez at the time) publicly said that he didn't consider atheists to be either citizens nor patriots.

There was little outrage.

Now consider what would have happened if he'd said he didn't consider blacks to be citizens or patriots. Or Jews.

Yet it's OK to pillory atheists and still be elected president.

My guess is that we'll have a black lesbian president before we see an atheist in office.

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I reread the whole speech. It's good. I'm still not too interested at being any closer to any whacky religious types.

e

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Moderates (which would be the actual majority) don't tend to vote nearly as much. Seems to be only those who really care about the issues either way or those who are completely ignorant of what's really going on. I don't mean to generalize, I'm sure that's not all voters, but based on who we tend to elect and what we tend to vote into law, that certainly seems to be the case with the majority of voters.

A cynic such as myself tends to vote mainly against candidates rather than for.