Obama's a Mac

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 11, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Apple Hardware
    Link: Obama's a Mac
    Description:: The United States' 44th President will be a Mac user, as President-Elect Barack Obama and his children have been revealed as having two MacBooks for personal use. Newsweek notes that Michelle Obama, the soon-to-be First Lady, recently purchased the two MacBooks so Barack and his two daughters can video-chat while he is on the road, something likely to be frequent in his new position.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yeah, there's quite a few pictures on the net of him with macbooks and macbook pros. I love that pac-man he has on his mac!

What a great way to stay in touch with your daughters though!

3. macrumors 6502

I think now he's going to end up being my favorite president ever.

-bri :)

4. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Well.....

He and his family have to use something right? And it's either a Mac or a Windows PC.

I wonder what people's opinion of him be if he used Vista? :D

5. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Obama's a Mac? No, he's a Mac user. The whole point of the "I'm a Mac... and I'm a PC" ad campaign was not to present Mac users and PC users but rather to personify the computers themselves. The fact that Microsoft responded with their "I'm a PC and I blah blah blah" campaign showed they didn't get it either.

6. macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I agree. I never saw the Apple commercials as stereotypes for users, but as stereotypes for computers.

I don't know if Microsoft didn't get this or was hoping consumers wouldn't get it either and buy into their interpretation.

I do see a similar theme since Microsoft and McCain have campaigns that focused less on substance and more on building a general dislike and fear for the competition.

While Obama and Apple focused on facts and figures, i.e. McCain voting 90% with Bush and Microsoft's $300 million in advertising, instead of fixing Vista.

7. macrumors G3

Kilamite

A white MacBook would go nice with the White House.

8. macrumors 65816

Luap

I hope they have better luck with video chatting on iChat than I do then.
    Its riddled with connection issues these days :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

I'd say it's an image play more than anything else. You know, the illusion of change and all.

10. macrumors member

Man, i wish I had bookmarked it, but I read an article recently that reiterated this Obama-Mac link, but not in terms of actual product ownership but in philosophical archetypes. Mac users, for example, were more likely to be Obama supporters, the article claimed, based on the archetype of the Mac as an icon of the divergent-thinker, the artist, the intellectual, the patron of cultures, the philosopher, who wouldn't follow a conventional crowd and preferred something of higher performance and emotional connection despite it being a nonconformist choice. The article said this ideology is reflected both in the choice of Macs as a computer, and Obama as a candidate (pointing out Obama's affiliation with Apple as a company).

11. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Maybe this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/04/technology/04link.html

12. macrumors 6502a

Probably the same as if he used a Mac.

Most people don't care.

And if you're trying to take a shot at Vista, educate yourself.

13. macrumors G3

Kilamite

We're talking about people on the Mac forum wise guy - and it was a tounge in cheek comment. Educate yourself ;)

14. macrumors 65816

15. macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Ridiculous, I'm not going to even leave a educated comment for you because you are making a horrible comparison.

Absurd.

16. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

If he used Vista, it would show people that he's got a high tolerance for pain and could brave the problems. He wouldn't just abandon them by switching :p

17. macrumors 65816

soberbrain

18. macrumors 65816

Haven't most of the recent presidents used Macs?

19. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Chill out dude. I wasn't taking a shot at Vista and if I was I'd be in my right mind. I have used it and it's not a very friendly or consistent OS. But that's besides the point.

I was taking a shot at the minor hype that people are making about Obama using a Mac, would it be the same way if he used a Windows PC.

Try relaxing a bit before posting comments. And find out what people are saying....

Or

Try asking for clarification before posting your little cute remarks about educating ones self. :rolleyes:

Tis funny how people do forget what they say in past threads. Because his comments in that thread are truly ridiculous indeed.

20. macrumors 65816

jackc

Yes, what a nice example of self-congratulation

21. Guest

sangosimo

obama would be alot cooler if he used ubuntu.

22. macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

23. macrumors 6502

spydr

24. macrumors 603

I would say Obama using Vista would make him not ready to lead on Day 1. You really think they could set up Vista-based computers in the White House and have all the anti-virus and firewall stuff set up on Jan. 20 while he's out partying at the inaugural ball? It would take months, no, years to set this all up! The horror!!!!! :)

25. Moderator emeritus

Regardless of your political affiliation, there's an interesting article up on the New York Time's site about Obama, incoming presidents, and their use of email.

Sounds like President Obama might have to do the same thing that President Bush did which was to give up the Crackberry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/us/politics/16blackberry.html?_r=1&oref=slogin