obama's DNC keynote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 27, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

zim, I plan to catch up with it later when I have the time...

was your "damn" as in "damn, I missed it..."
    or as in "damn, those be some fine ribs..."

Just curious...

3. answer348 macrumors member

I saw every second of it. It was possibly the most remarkable speech I've ever seen.

4. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

excellent speach. already this early in his career and at his age he is one of the best orators I have seen.

PS: the clinton speech yesterday was also very good.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it was this kind of "damn":

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Obama is definitely one to watch. I could see him on a presidential ticket in 2008 or 2012.

7. Bobcat37 macrumors member

2008? Nah, that will probably be Hillary Clinton as long as Kerry loses this year.

Anyway, uh, I didn't see it... but I also don't care... so yeah.

Is it bad that whenever I hear or see the word Obama, I think Osama? I need to stop doing that I guess.

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Very possible, but she will still need a running mate.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You're Rush Limbaugh, aren't you?

10. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

11. Bobcat37 macrumors member

*snickers*

That was funny... I'm whatever you want me to be you sexy commy ;)

Anyway, I listened to half of his speech speech, the first part was very good... but then I stopped watching when he started pumping up Kerry. Hey really had me baffled as to why he is a Democrat and why in the world he supports Kerry, since he said some rather sensible things. (Like we don't want to government to solve all of our problems??? That doesn't sound like a good Democrat to me).

Anyway, Obama impressed me... I'll give him that.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thanks Lee, I thought it was great, so much so that it has made me late to an engagement ...but it was worth it . More later. excellent.

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I guess you missed the part where he said that government CAN help to create opportunities.

Anyway, Obama is the future of this party. He will run for president in the not-so-distant future, and I have a feeling that he will, or at least he can, win.

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, that's a popular notion. but it's not true.

he's a democrat because he believes this country is for everyone. that should say a lot of what he thinks of republicans.

15. Bobcat37 macrumors member

It should? :confused:

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes

17. letterbox macrumors regular

This would be a very interesting ticket. It would be a great accomplishment to have both the first woman president and person of color in office seperately, but at the same time it would be even more historic.

I am all for this however...what are the chances that this would happen? If Republicans are calling Kerry/Edwards "liberals" with a negative connotation, are they really going to be ready for a woman and a black man to be heading the country? This based on the Washington Post article today on the stance of all 4 candidiates (from both parties) and based on voting records found that:

1. Bush is average conservative
    2. Cheney "...is more conservative than 90%" of his colleagues
    3. Kerry is average on the whole
    4. Edwards is more towards conservative democrat

18. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Let's say Kerry wins this term and the next... Do you really think John Edwards will step down and let Hillary run? No way, it will be Edwards. This was Hillary's year, and she missed it.
    Entertain this thought for a second:

Edwards/Obama 2012

Lee Tom

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i have to say, i really don't see hillary running for president. the idea has always struck me as a GOP wet dream.

20. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Sure, if Kerry does win then Edwards would get the 2012 nomination and I agree, an Edwards/Obama ticket would be very likely.

If Kerry does not win then Edwards will have the same stigma of defeat that plauged Libermann and he is not seeking re-election to the Senate. That means that Hillary Clinton would be the logical nominee and Obama a possible running mate. That also means that the Republicans would probably counter with a Giuliani/Powell ticket.

If Bush gets re-elected my money is on a Clinton/Obama and Giuliani/Powell race in 2008.

21. letterbox macrumors regular

Edwards/Obama sounds more realistic.

I don't know much about speculating Hilary for Prez or not, but one of my first thoughts is PR Nightmare, with a captial N. Too much of a certain kind of baggage (sp?) with a woman who certainly appears to have her act together, which is a shame.

Time will tell, hopefully the present can be taken care of.

22. letterbox macrumors regular

I thought Powell had declined and has been quoted so on multiple occassions, is there something I don't know?

23. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Maybe, but it seems to be a popular notion among this years delegates:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8999-2004Jul23.html

Then again, if the delegates had their way this year it would probably be Howard Dean accepting the nomination on Thursday.

24. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i would love to see the results of this kind of poll done 4 years ago. i wonder if kerry was mentioned at all.

and barama wasn't even in the national spotlight until about 4 months ago. a lot can change in four years.

25. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Huh? Don't you mean a nightmare?

Anyway, I'd rather see an Edwards/Obama ticket in 2008 or whenever (depends who wins this year), that way I would know if they won our country wouldn't be completely doomed. ;)

Also, a Giuliani/Powell Republican ticket would be pretty good in my opinion... it would definitely be more of a centrist ticket (as opposed to far right), but that would probably give it an even better chance of winning. Those are 2 very popular Republicans, even among the Dems. Of course, I must admit Powell has been hurt a little bit by the Iraq thing, but only time will tell how that will play out in the long run.