Obama's Mac-savvy team lands in Microsoft hell at White House

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Freshmixture, Jan 22, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Freshmixture

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's a big mess given their presence online and maintaining it now.

3. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Well, considering the government runs 99% XP machines, they should have known. Sounds naive to expect anything else.

4. macrumors G3

NT1440

'

Why would one expect the base of the free world to be running outdated systems?

5. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh good lord. Please!
    Screw the computers and get to work on this so-called "change" we're all supposed to see.

6. macrumors G3

NT1440

And communications is a big part of that......

7. macrumors 65816

numbersyx

It sort of feels right that the Obama camp used Macs whilst the Bush admin was using Windows. Just who was the evil empire, George?

8. Moderator emeritus

Er. Can't get much done if no-one can get through on the phone.

The original Washington Post article is longer and more detailed than the excerpt presented at the top of this thread. It's just not about the computers, and in many ways, poses a serious question: you wouldn't expect to do business these days in that sort of technological environment.

9. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It is the govt., why expect anything else.
    Time to learn some Windows.

10. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

And what, besides trouble for IT, does Vista bring that XP doesn't offer?

We were supposed to switch last year, but Vista failed the IT tests.

BTW, the machines themselves are only about 2-3 years old.

11. macrumors G3

NT1440

I coulda sworn I saw somewhere them running 6 year old machines. But as BV said, its more about the anti technology mindset thats a hinderance.

12. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, the mindset is a hinderance, but I will say that my 3-year-old Dell 820 is the fastest XP notebook I have ever used - because it is so tightly restricted by IT.

13. Moderator emeritus

I wouldn't say it's anti-technology. They have strict security clearances and other concerns to worry about in terms of their systems. Just as parts of the White House and Airforce One have been upgraded and restored by various presidents, I'm sure at some point they'll review what they have and take things forward.

It is literally like moving into a house combined with a business and having to use what the last tenants had been happy with. A lot has changed in eight years.

14. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I like this part of BV's Post article:

15. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Then they should switch to new Windows computers so that there are no issues with all the other systems they need to communicate with.

Some people are talking about Macs (versus evil PCs.....surprise surprise), but that's not what's really important. The most important thing is that they can get everything done with their equipment, and if that means Obama's guys may have to switch to XP or Vista, then they've got to do it.

16. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They can maintain it just as well with XP. A computer is just a tool.

Yes, because Windows PCs are evil ... :rolleyes: See the tool reference above.

17. macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like a regular windows based IT dept was managing the IT.

Hope they switch to something more usable.

18. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I never said you couldn't They're just going to need to learn to use what they have and try to requisition what they can. :rolleyes:

19. macrumors P6

Peace

Personally I hope they stick with Windows in the White House. I know it's selfish but if they went with Macs that would invite every anti-US group in the world to make OSX their targets thus creating more viruses,malware and trojans for OSX.

20. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

True. Macs aren't unheard of in the government, they do have their place as graphic editors and video editors, but for normal, day-to-day email and communication, Exchange is hard to beat. Especially with the laws that all communications must be archived. (Although I'm not sure that I want someone to know what I was planning for lunch the other day.)

21. macrumors 6502

Seriously, enough of the Bush bashing... OMG, <sarcasm> six year old software, gasp, thats like, office 2003! </sarcasm>.

How many of your companies (large companies, such as the government that is) are still using Windows XP and MS Office 2003? A greater majority of them I would assume. As for the laptops vs desktops... I would wager a guess that its a big security concern. Laptops stay in secure areas, aren't moved, etc. There is a whole new layer of security involved in laptops as they leave the office and go to airports, homes, car trunks, etc. This is more than likely intentional.

I see this as another non-story story. Another pointless piece of garbage "journalism" knocking a prior administration that quite frankly, doesn't deserve nearly the bashing it gets. What DOESN'T get blamed on the Bush administration these days? Whats next?

I guess I am venting, cmon people, wake up.

22. macrumors regular

Having worked in the government, I can attest to the kinds of headaches involved when security trumps productivity. It is understandable given much of the subject matter, but you also have to remember that anything and everything is considered sensitive until explicitly reviewed. IT becomes a one-size-fits-all kind of atmosphere unless you expend a lot of effort getting a variance.

I had to do this to get a linux machine (better for the type of work I was doing) rather than using Windows (Mac's were not an option). It was two-months before I had a networked computer on my desk. I was not working on anything sensitive. Almost everything marked as freeware was completely banned. Despite budget limitations, if I needed software it had to cost something or else I had to apply for an exception citing importance, lack of alternatives, etc. While I liked my job and the people, this aspect was not fun.

The Bush administration deserves every single knock they've gotten. Never in my lifetime have I seen such a mix of incompetence, arrogance, corruption and ill will right from the start in 2000. However, my impression is that this is not due to the previous administration so much as the White House IT regulations and IT staff, who may be permanent hires rather than appointments. In fact, I remember reading at one point that Bush was a Mac user.

crackpip

23. macrumors member

Having worked in the Senate (in DC) not that long ago, I can attest to outmoded tech.

Most of the junior staff was using Windows 2000 on old Compaq Presarios. Only the senior staff had "updated" HPs with WinXP. I had to share a computer with an intern, even though I was an aide.

I can commiserate with the Obama staff. Like someone else said earlier, "Welcome to government".

As we speak, I work in state government, and have to use an old Dell for my work. I was supposed to get an upgrade last month, but have yet to hear anything, probably due to the 600 million dollar budget shortfall we are currently in.

24. macrumors G5

Consultant

Well they already signed to close Gitmo on the first day, so anything could happen. They are the executive branch and can probably make some changes.

Wrong.

Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bit security
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/16/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bit_security.html

25. macrumors 68000

savar

My agency still runs Windows 2000! Yikes! Also still running office 2003. And my workstation is a 5 year old Dell Optiplex tower.

Most of these computers are about to fall apart. Mine chugs at the disk for any basic operation, such as opening a folder. I can barely run outlook and a browser at the same time. I frequently close my e-mail just so I can get some work one.

Although we are promised new machines early this year, and those will be pre-installed with Vista.