Obese entitled to 2 airline seats- Canada

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rdowns, Nov 20, 2008.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think this is crazy. If you need 2 seats, you pay for 2 seats.

Link

2. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

So what about the folks that only take up half a seat, or small children? Why do they pay full fair?

3. thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are you kidding me?

4. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Nope. Why do toddlers that are required by law to sit in a seat they occupy a small percentage of have to pay full fair? If you think a large person should have to pay for two seats then a small one should have to pay for a fraction.

5. macrumors 65816

MasterNile

So if you take up 2 seats they don't check or anything until you're boarding? (excuse my ignorance I've only flown twice) Meaning that even on some flights where they think they have enough room for everyone booked on the flight they might not because some of the passengers take up more than 1 seat and they weren't expecting that?

6. macrumors regular

I would love to pay for 3/4 of a seat to sit on a toddler

7. macrumors 6502

cdcastillo

Because no one else can use the other "half" seat. Airlines can't sell half seats, but they can sell more than one seat to someone.

Besides, being small is not your choice, however, If you are fat (and I'm fat, I weigh more than 230 pounds, BMI 38, so don't acuse me of discrimination) it's because either you eat more than you need or spend less calories than you should be burning (or both).

So you can be held liable of being fat but not for being small.

And I would love to get things for free.

8. macrumors 601

What a load of garbage. I really don't care who someone is or what their problem is: paying for one seat is good for one seat, not two. How is this going to work if the flight is full? Do some get kicked off because there are too many fat people, or do you have to give the airline your weight when you book the flight? I'm one to think that if they cannot fit, they need to get off. Kicking someone else out doesn't solve the problem. On a flight this morning, I was shocked that some people could actually fit between the mid-cabin lavs; I'm relatively small and it was a squeeze for me and just about everyone else.

Thanks but no thanks on this one, Ottawa. Either make the seats bigger or make them buy two seats. Giving a two-for-one sale exclusively to people over a certain weight seems a tad discriminatory, no?

9. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Can you be? There are people that eat quite normally and yet are still obese. Some have thyroid conditions and others have medical conditions that attribute to them being as big as they are. Why can you be held liable for being sick(if that's the reason for your obesity)?

Should I as a profoundly deaf individual be held liable if a cop were to tell me to freeze or he'd shoot and I didn't do so merely because I did not hear him?

Are the blind liable for walking across the road and getting hit by a vehicle?

10. macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Or get around it. Charge per 24 inches or however much of horizontal space instead of per seat.

11. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Well if that is the case, and they can prove it with some kind of doctor's note, then fine, let them have two seats for the price of one, but don't let people who can't stop shovelling food into their mouths make others pay for their problems.

It's similar to people who have smoked for their entire life relying on the National Health Service to keep them from dying from their self-inflicted condition. No. Just no. It's your own ****ing fault.

12. macrumors 6502

mknawabi

This is absurd, the price you pay is per seat. If you need one more seat, you should pay double the price. It is not the airline's fault that a person is obese.

13. Guest

calculus

It could be argued that what you are paying for is one journey...

14. macrumors 601

Not when the contract of carriage, which all must agree to in order to travel, says otherwise.

Even if that were the case, there would still be people running to the gate two minutes prior closing after everyone else had boarded expecting two seats. Doing this, it would need to be pre-arranged without jeopardizing the seats of those who have previously paid. If there's only one seat left on a flight when booking it two months out, too bad.

15. macrumors G5

leekohler

16. macrumors 68040

If I owned an airline I would purposely fit non adjustable arm rests in between the seats.

17. macrumors regular

No one is saying they can't go on a journey.
    Extra burden = extra money

If they take up another seat for free, that means another paying customer won't make it on the plane. The airline loses money.

So the airlines will give them their second seat "free of fare" They'll just end up charging an "Accommodation Fee" to make up for it

18. macrumors 68000

Loge

If the airlines didn't have such small seats in the first place there wouldn't be a problem.

19. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Your airline would suck for everyone then.

20. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Well, whichever airline lets fat people have two seats for the price of one sucks for the majority.

Anyway, what do they do with the seat belts? Fasten one around each monstrous thigh?

21. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why? It's no skin off my nose. In fact it would be preferable to me to not be squashed next to an obese person. I'd pony up $50 for that privilege alone.

People sure don't like the overweight do they? Gets the sanctimonious streak going.

22. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

It could be one of those super-discounted airlines. What ever happned to that airline that tried to have $30 flights with no food and such? Someone posted it here before.

Also, what does it take to get two seats for the price of one? That could be a great deal for the slightly overweight crowd, who just barely take up more than one seat.:D

But seriously, it's pretty ridiculous. You pay for a seat on an airplane. What happens when someone takes up three seats?

If they need two seats, they can pay for two seats. Why can't I get two seats for the price of one and bring more bags on board instead of checking?

23. Guest

calculus

If I agree to stand up, can I fly for free then?

24. macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is a ridiculous argument.

25. macrumors P6

dukebound85

why exactly?