Objective C, persistent Class variables

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by KnightWRX, Apr 17, 2011.

1. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Hi,

I've found nothing online but file scope globals, but I'm asking anyhow just in case. Is there a way to have variables for class methods that will live beyond the scope of a call ? That is basically, a class variable instead of an instance variable so that I can set something with a call to a + method and read it back with a 2nd call to a 2nd + method ?

Right now, it works great with file scope globals, but somehow, that bothers my aesthetic senses.

2. macrumors 603

Objective-C doesn't have class variables. At all. Google objective-c class variable and see what comes up.

File-scope statics work. So do statics defined in a function or method. Exactly like C.

3. thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yeah, the googling part I had done and the answer I came up with was the same. :( I was hoping my googling skills were not top notch in this instance.

4. macrumors 603

5. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Class static variables are probably best handled by the singleton pattern.

Lets say you have a class named Fraction, add a class method named +sharedFraction that returns the same static Fraction instance every time.

I've used this in a couple of my home grown classes, and have actually added them via categories to several key apple classes such as NSNumberFormatter, so I can setup a single instance and use it anywhere in my program.

EDIT: Depending on your need, you could setup + methods with static variables in them, or even file scope static variables that are referenced by + methods.