Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I think something's wrong with my debugger. I have a line of code that is syntactically similar to this:

Code:
NSManagedObjectSubclass1 *someObject = [[NSManagedObjectSubclass2 sharedObject] someObject];
I set a breakpoint two lines down at another point, and there's no code to change someObject anywhere between the code line and the breakpoint.

However, when the app stops at the breakpoint and I run "po someObject" and "po [[NSManagedObjectSubclass2 sharedObject] someObject]", for some unknown reason the former returns "nil" while the latter actually returns the right object.

It's weird.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
We can't debug or offer guidance without more code, but it looks as if you messed up your singleton declaration. There's little chance your debugger is reporting different data because it's messed up and your code isn't.

A lot of your issues seem unrelated to what you've supplied us in previous threads. The more information and code, the better. Otherwise we are stabbing at the dark.

Last edited:

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
We can't debug or offer guidance without more code, but it looks as if you messed up your singleton declaration. There's little chance your debugger is reporting different data because it's messed up and your code isn't.

A lot of your issues seem unrelated to what you've supplied us in previous threads. The more information and code, the better. Otherwise we are stabbing at the dark.

OK, here's the actual code:
Code:
   PlaceEntity *entity = [[UserEntitysharedEntity] placeEntityForLevel:[LevelObjectcurrentLevel]];

NSInteger placeTag = [entity familyNum] * 10 + [entity activityNum];

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Unfortunately, that's still not enough to work on since I have no real understanding of how that plays into the grand scheme of your functioning.

By my previous advice, all I can suspect is that your declaration for the singleton is incorrect - are you sure that
NSManagedObjectSubclass2 (not someObject on that singleton) is actually the same object in both cases? I highly doubt it or there is something in your declaration that is preventing that property from being set until the second trip to the shared instance, after it has already been initialized by the first call.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Unfortunately, that's still not enough to work on since I have no real understanding of how that plays into the grand scheme of your functioning.

By my previous advice, all I can suspect is that your declaration for the singleton is incorrect - are you sure that
NSManagedObjectSubclass2 (not someObject on that singleton) is actually the same object in both cases?
Most likely. The singleton instance is set in a view controller that the user only sees once. Not once in my code do I set either managed object pointer to "nil".

Edit: If you'd like to see my placeEntityForLevel code, please let me know.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I'm not talking about the someObject instance on your singleton, I'm talking about the singleton itself. Here is a slightly more clear example of what you wrote:
Code:
NSManagedObjectSubclass *firstSingleton = [NSManagedObjectSubclass sharedObject]

id *someObject = [someSingleton someObject];
id *anotherSomeObjectObject = [[NSManagedObjectSubclass sharedObject] someObject];

You are saying that someObject !=anotherSomeOtherObject.

However, you're assuming that the above code is exactly the same as:
Code:
NSManagedObjectSubclass *firstSingleton = [NSManagedObjectSubclass sharedObject]

id *someObject = [firstSingleton someObject];
id *someObjectAgain = [firstSingleton someObject];

Which it is not because if that were the case, the second code can only translate into: someObject == someObjectAgain. The problem, from my limited POV, is that firstSingleton != firstSingletonAgain

What you wrote translates more into:
Code:

NSManagedObjectSubclass *firstSingletonAgain = [NSManagedObjectSubclass sharedObject]
id *someObjectAgain = [firstSingletonAgain someObject];

Meaning either: sharedObject is giving you two different Singletons, one without filled properties and one with filled properties or you are being given the same singleton and sharedObject it isn't setting up your Singleton properly the first time it is called.

So back to my question: are references to the singleton (firstSingleton and firstSingletonAgain in the above snippet) the same or not? Using something similar to the last example I gave, you can set a breakpoint after your two calls and see what the identities of those objects are.

Also, what is happening when you attempt to set it in the VC? Is your someObject property just returning nil? Is one method working and the other not? Or is the second attempt at grabbing the someObject always successful while the first fails? Depending on what happens in this spot, I may be pointing you down the incorrect path, but that's about the best I can do.

Last edited:

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not talking about the someObject instance on your singleton, I'm talking about the singleton itself. Here is a slightly more clear example of what you wrote:
Code:

id *someObject = [someSingleton someObject];
id *anotherSomeObjectObject = [[NSManagedObjectSubclass sharedObject] someObject];

You are saying that someObject !=anotherSomeOtherObject.

However, you're assuming that the above code is exactly the same as:
Code:

id *someObjectAgain = [firstSingleton someObject];

Which it is not because if that were the case, the second code can only translate into: someObject == someObjectAgain. The problem, from my limited POV, is that firstSingleton != firstSingletonAgain

What you wrote translates more into:
Code:

NSManagedObjectSubclass *firstSingletonAgain = [NSManagedObjectSubclass sharedObject]
id *someObjectAgain = [firstSingletonAgain someObject];

Meaning either: sharedObject is giving you two different Singletons, one without filled properties and one with filled properties or you are being given the same singleton and sharedObject it isn't setting up your Singleton properly the first time it is called.

So back to my question: are references to the singleton (firstSingleton and firstSingletonAgain in the above snippet) the same or not? Using something similar to the last example I gave, you can set a breakpoint after your two calls and see what the identities of those objects are.

Also, what is happening when you attempt to set it in the VC? Is your someObject property just returning nil? Is one method working and the other not? Or is the second attempt at grabbing the someObject always successful while the first fails? Depending on what happens in this spot, I may be pointing you down the incorrect path, but that's about the best I can do.

Hi, @Mascots apologies for the late response.

sharedObject should return one - and only one - instance. It is set once, and only once.

I seem, however, to be experiencing only a somewhat reproducible bug, perhaps a Heisenbug. The last time I tried debugging, everything seemed to work. However, I will try again.

Edit: I re-read your post, and I feel I must clarify:

1)

Last edited:

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
sharedObject should return one - and only one - instance. It is set once, and only once.

We need you to confirm that sharedObject is actually producing the same object & that object is set up correctly on both calls. So far, you only assume it should be - you should be checking using breakpoints to get memory addresses so you know de facto. What about the questions I ask at the end of my last post? By observing those side effects, it may be easier to find enough consistency to address the root of the problem.

Most likely, there's an issue with your sharedObject method and I do not think that you are experiencing a Heisenbug - I've described why it is pretty much only possible that a piece of code that you haven't shown us is causing your inconsistency - and if it is a random bug caused by an invalid state in your app, you must be doing something to cause that to happen. It isn't just happening.

Can we see how you are creating this singleton and actual code behind calling the instance?

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
We need you to confirm that sharedObject is actually producing the same object & that object is set up correctly on both calls. So far, you only assume it should be - you should be checking using breakpoints to get memory addresses so you know de facto. What about the questions I ask at the end of my last post? By observing those side effects, it may be easier to find enough consistency to address the root of the problem.

Most likely, there's an issue with your sharedObject method and I do not think that you are experiencing a Heisenbug - I've described why it is pretty much only possible that a piece of code that you haven't shown us is causing your inconsistency - and if it is a random bug caused by an invalid state in your app, you must be doing something to cause that to happen. It isn't just happening.

Can we see how you are creating this singleton and actual code behind calling the instance?

OK, I have confirmed that the singleton is always the same.

Edit: Actually, what happens is this: When the sharedObject is first inserted, a new PlaceEntity is created. I think what I need to do is make sure the "level" attribute on PlaceEntity is initialized.

Last edited:

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2009
Can you please post the ALL of code for the Singleton class as well as the class where you want to use the Singleton. Like Mascots mentioned before, it looks like you don't have you Singleton set up correctly or are using it incorrectly.

In the future, like Mascots said, we need more than just one or two lines of code. Your questions make zero sense based on the code you provide so we can't help you.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Can you please post the ALL of code for the Singleton class as well as the class where you want to use the Singleton. Like Mascots mentioned before, it looks like you don't have you Singleton set up correctly or are using it incorrectly.

In the future, like Mascots said, we need more than just one or two lines of code. Your questions make zero sense based on the code you provide so we can't help you.
Sorry about that, at this point I'm kind of holding myself to a non-disclosure agreement.

Having said that, here's the code for placeEntityForLevel:
Code:
-(PlaceEntity *)placeEntityForLevel:(NSInteger)level

{

NSPredicate *entityPredicate = [NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:@"level==%f",level];

NSSet *filteredSet = [self.places filteredSetUsingPredicate:entityPredicate];

return [filteredSet anyObject];

}

Edit: I notice that the data appears to persist, as I can stop the app and it remembers exactly what I intended it to. (A "save" operation actually occurs in a succeeding view controller.)
Edit: What in the heck? Problem's not there anymore. I'll do a re-run, see what happens. I do have a breakpoint that alters the values of the entity, but that should be completely irrelevant given the breakpoint's location.
Edit #2: Problem's gone, and I disabled that breakpoint after first firing.

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Add some assertions before the line:
Code:
    return [filteredSet anyObject];

I'm guessing the following should always be true, and if they're not, it's a serious failure:
1. filteredSet is non-null.
2. filteredSet has exactly one item in it.

If you get an assertion failure, then you need to look at the data of self.places at that point in time, to figure out what led to the failed assertion.

https://www.mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2013-05-03-proper-use-of-asserts.html
Asserts should be written for conditions that, according to your understanding of the program, should never occur.​

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
What's the optimization level? Optimized code sometimes doesn't store a result into the actual result variable's memory until it needs to be used way later. That's what renamed registers, data caches, and thread pools (etc.) are for.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
You have so many objects without letting the readers know what's in them or what they are required to return figuring out your problem is impossible.

I would personally believe the real issue is you don't have default returns and error checking. When you expect a return then your objects need to either give the excepted return, an error or a default object.

Don't expect the debugger to do your work for you. Use a lot of NSLog()s and error checking as you develop. The old C method was printf and code pauses with getch to work through difficult areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.