Obliterating PC Orthodoxies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SlyHunter, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2004
    Thomas Kuhn in his book The Structure of Scientific Revolutions explains how scientists operate on the basis of an assumed paradigm. The scientists and academics for the most part hold to this orthodoxy, and all their subsequent observations are viewed only thru the prism of this paradigm. When the scientists find pieces of evidence that do not fit within the assumed paradigm, those pieces of evidence are labeled as anomalous and are swpt under the rug. They are ignored. The textbooks and the media suppress the information.

Examples is when the press is on its anti gun spree. Note how they aren't talking about it now. Do you think the number of people dieing by guns has gone down and that is why they stopped? No. It stopped being a ratings grabber. But when they do talk about guns they all do it as if they are following one script. And they purposely ignore anything that is contrary to their personal beliefs.
    For that particular example this web link while biased tells the other side of that story. http://www.packing.org/

Cremo and Thompson in their book Forbidden Archeology call this suppression of evidence in academic circles a "knowledge filter." Anomalous evidenc is ignored. Cremo and Thompson were features on the documentary "The Mysterious Origins of Man," hosted by charlton Heston. This video pointed out the fact that Virginia Steen-McIntyre, an honest professional geologist, in 1966 discovered tools and spear points in Hueyatlaco, Mexico that dated 250,000 years old. She used radio metric dates, uranium atoms, and Zircon crystals. This evidence was anomalous. It went against the existing paradigm of when humans supposedly first settled the "new World". She reported her results and it ruined her career. She was blacklisted she could never again find employment in her own profession. This is why many honest scientists are scared to speak out against the orthodox paradigm. It could destroy their careers.

Another example of this phenomenon is Bernard Goldberg, formerly of CBS News. Bernard Goldberg used to work with Dan Rather and was on good terms with the hierarchy of CBS News. Bernard Goldberg says that he is a traditional liberal Democrat. But the key point is that he is an honest man who is willing to speak out and reveal the truth about what is going on in the "mainstream" news media. Mr. Goldberg wrote an op-ed piece in the wall street journal which revealed evidence of a left wing liberal bias at CBS News. He also wrote a book entitled Bias-- A CBS Insider Exposes How The Media distort the News. It was published by Regnery in 2002 and became a bestseller. Bernard Goldberg believes that Dan Rather kept him from becoming a correspondent on 60 minutes II in retaliation for his op-ed piece about liberal bias in the media. CBS News did not renew Mr.; Goldberg's contract after he wrote his op-ed piece. CBS News seems to have blacklisted Bernard Goldberg because they wouldn't even cover his nation wise best selling book. They felt the need to suppress.

Others like John Leo of U.S. News World Report on Jun 10 1966 wrote "all the news that fits our biases" His title was adapted from Herman H. Dinsmore's book All the News that fits which was a scathing attack on the New York Times for its left wing liberal bias, by the formal editor of the international edition of the New York Times. When Mr. Leo pointed out that when Democratic Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan of New York told the New York Post reporter Deborah Orin he would vote to override President Clinton's veto of partial-birth abortion ban bill because partial birth abortions are "too close to infanticide," the following newspapers suppressed the story: The Washington Post, L.A. Times, Boston Globe, and NY Times. They ignored it and acted like it never happened.

There are plenty more examples in our schools both high and college, in our papers and on our TV's. When you switch on Rush Limbaugh, Neal Boortz, The Factor and other shows like that you expect biased reporting. But when you turn on CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, etc news show you expect a fair and balance news reporting but they only report those things that make the liberal agenda look good while ignoring anything that doesn't. Also due to conspiracy or lazyness I don't know what but you watch one channel and you know what news is playing on all the others. I guarantee you there are allot more news worthy things happening than the few that they are all playing which simply duplicate each others shows.

John Leo in US News may 20 2002 reported -- Why should the left wing controlled news media or academia debate the facts when they have the power to suppress the facts and prevent any debat at all? Leo states that on our college campuses "normal intellectual give and take have largely disappeared. Free speech, open debate, and full disclosure are being destroyed by the left wing academics that control our college campuses. Why should they debate when they can suppress?

ok I got kicked out of college officially for flunking English. People who wrote a two page paper with a single period in it received B's and C's. I was giving F's because as one teacher wrote on my paper "being a heartless *******". I took it to my guidance counselor who fought the fight for me. The English department said they will not alter instruction. Instruction like write a paper about cartoons like The Flinstones and the Jetsons and show how they are discriminatory towards women and dangerous for them to watch. I wrote a paper on how they were a sign of the times in which the author lived and exagerated for satirical purposes. I was given an F for refusing to do the assignment. For refusing to write a paper full of lies. She took it to the Dean who said English is a state mandated course and he had no authority over that department.

My being expelled from school with no recourse is one of the case studies used by the owner of this web site http://www.noindoctrination.org/ as he goes around and talks about this very issue. I was left with no job, no future, no college degree, over 17,000 dollars in loans all because I felt it was wrong to force students to lie in order to get a letter grade. The town of Carbondale Illinois only existed because the college was there as such there were no jobs and that is when I had to hit the streets.

Don't think personal insults is going to drive me away. Yes I admit I started like a hurricane, but that is how I operate. It was a new forum for me and I made it a priority in my life for a couple of days. It will not stay that way I have other things in my life that will take up time and will post fewer posts. I will post things when I have something to say unless I think someone else already stated what I wanted to say well enough, as well, or better than I would have. Plain and simple. You don't ban someone just because you disagree with his opinion.

I have many more stories to add but I won't in one single post. Perhaps I'll post more examples later.
  2. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2004
    in the toe-jam of greatness (Fort Worth)
    I grew up in an upper middle class family
    I was well off
    I had 2 cars
    one of which I had bought myself from money I had saved from changing tires
    I went to one of the very best schools in the country
    I was a national merit scholar finalist
    I received scholarships and acceptance letters from every school, save one, I applied to
    I was really going places
    the begennig of what was to be my junior year my parents disowned me
    sold most everything I had including my cars
    I was poor and homeless for a while
    pretty soon fortune smiled upon me and my parents gave me a car so I could at least work
    I spent 1.5 years working 80 hours a week
    sometimes sleeping in my car
    finally I decided I had had it and I applied at a local community college
    when I started I still worked 60 hours a week and slept in my car between classes in the parking lot of a local movie theater

get the chip off your shoulder!
    no one is persecuting you
    people have crappy lives but they move on
    don't take things so personally

I don't believe your story about being kicked out of school over the paper
    and thats ok, you may not believe mine
    I hope you don't mind
    If you are as angry as you seem to be
    apply to a local community college
    go back to school and start life anew

p.s. if money is a problem don't worry about it
    the only reason I was able to start back is because I was considered a non traditional student (22 and over)
    now I don't work
    I go to school
    and I live off of subsidized student loan money and grants
    It's not an extravagant life
    I eat beans and cabbage a lot
    but hell, life is getting better
    and in a year I'll be going to a top 20 law school

smile some and talk to real people (not online) maybe do something nice such as change someone's tire on the side of the road
    you'll be happier and you'll make someone else happy as well
  3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    I've long held the notion that as a generality, college students of an inherently conservative bent tend toward the hard sciences or engineering. College students of an inherently liberal bent tend toward the liberal arts curricula. This is no absolute, mind you; I said "tend".

Liberal Arts includes the School of Journalism...

Now, most people tend to think of themselves as fair minded. And, whether liberal or conservative, most seem to view themselves as rather moderate in their views. I have no doubt that many in the media sincerely believe their utterances are objective.

Add up all of the above, and then add that 86% of the WashDC journalists are registered as Democrats. (Or, is this a nationwide %?)

To interject a point sorta outside where I'm headed: Engineering writing is required to be third person, past tense. No opinions are allowed until one reaches the final conclusions of the report. This gives objectivity, but it can be boring as all get-out and wouldn't be a marketable way to present news programs.

I submit it is basically impossible not to phrase news items from one's own personal viewpoint of the world. Reporting about firearms and crime is one example which is patently obvious. It is my opinion that there is more of a liberal bias in news reporting than there is conservative bias, based in part on my opening comments above. However, I do not see any "plot" or "conspiracy" within the media. I see it as a fact of human nature in choice of occupations.

Which is why I'll read the WashPost as well as the WashTimes, or Reason, et al, as well as Time. Multisourcing helps verify facts, which should not need to be argued. The conclusions from those facts are what are subject to debate and independent decision, regardless of the biases of the sources.

I find frustration in dealing with those who use only one view as to source, and accept only one view for conclusions. Doesn't matter if it's a liberal or a conservative, it's frustrating.

4. SlyHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2004
    I start school in may :)
    Maybe. Its like jumping thru hoops man if its not one thing its another.

I lucked out my old company lost a major contract the new company only needed me for 20 hours a week. But they pay me so much for those 20 hours all my bills get paid so I figure no second job go back to college, be prepared for when technology makes my current job obsolete.

And if you follow that link my story is also there and lots of story's just like mine. I'm not unique. like I said when he goes on his speaking tours he uses me as one of his case study's ie examples of how biased the education system is. He didn't take my word either he had to do research and gather documentation from the University and guidance counselor to verify my story.
  5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2004
    in the toe-jam of greatness (Fort Worth)
    if you don't do a hard science do poli-sci
    it encourages debate and most professors respect the people who disagree with them and also see them as a personal project
    I was kicked out of AP english in highschool for doing a pro communist paper (I live in now and have lived in previously one of the most conservative counties in the country)
    I have yet to meet a political science professor who will lower one's grade due to a disagreement of opinion
    in fact they love disagreements

I agree that the education system (college) is biased
    in fact very biased and typically liberal
    my previous college was very liberal and I fit in well
    now I go to (supprisingly enough) a very conservative state run college with conservative professors, many of who think I'm a liberal nut
    and I probably am
  6. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    as my friends in the media tell me, the best journalists are those who don't have a degree in journalism.

when a journalist (of whatever degree) is labeled a liberal (or unpatriotic, or worse) for questioning a government action, shouldn't we all be concerned?
  7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004
    Your probelm is easily solved. Go to a Bible School. They will happily indoctrinate you in the way you want to be indoctrinated.
  8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    zim, I've read that few of the oldtime Pulitzer winning newsmen ever saw a Jschool. Today, howsomever, we're in a whole different age, at least as far as major media outlets whether major newspaper or network TV--and for the latter, ya gotta be sorta purty, as well.

Some issues, I'm off to the right of Attila, but that doesn't keep me from fuming and questioning some of the Bushies' decisions. Disagreeing with any administration need not have anything to do with liberal or conservative or patriotism, and that's not how I judge any reporter or journalist or editorial writer.

For instance: Many of the questions asked--repeatedly--at the Bush press conference weren't designed to elicit any useful information. They were purely for the purpose of trying to trap him into some mis-statement or to embarrass. That had nothing to do with "liberal", whether or not those reporters possibly think of themselves as liberal. IMO, they merely showed terminal nastiness, terminal bunghole-itis.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Like I said in the other thread, report posts where you feel you're being insulted.

That being said, it's quite disrespectful to myself and the rest of the moderators here to insinuate that you were ever threatened with banning for disagreeing with the majority or that such action would ever be taken.

As stated before, you'll be banned for rule infractions. If you don't understand the rules, ask a question, otherwise, it's assumed you're aware of them (especially after your first warning) and appropriate administrative action will be taken.

In addition, the analogy that academic institution "censorship", "PC orthodoxies" and your own problems in college equate to the debate on this forum is ridiculous and demeaning to this forum and its posters. Whether or not that was your intention, that is the effect of bringing up matters of site moderation in the context of the thread. Thread closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.