Oblivion on iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by bluetorch18, Sep 16, 2006.

1. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

Has anyone here tried Oblivion on their 24" iMac with the 7600 GT? Can you let us all know how it runs?

2. padré macrumors regular

oblivion???

yeah it would be nice to know that, (and if anyone tested it on a macpro let me know too, cause i cant fine any oblivion running on macpro review on the net :) thx)

3. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

A guy with a 2.33 GHz - 2 GB RAM - 256 MB 7600 GT 24" iMac got 200+ FPS in WoW on highest settings. So yes, Oblivion will run better than on an Xbox 360.

I don't have an iMac or Oblivion, but I'm sure you'll get 50+ fps!:D

4. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Yeah, he might, if he was facing a wall...

5. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

What do you mean? That he couldn't possibly get 200 FPS?

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I seriously doubt that. ;) Oblivion runs incredibly well with everything to the max (because that's the way it works) on my Xbox. :p

7. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Ah, but the XBox 360 version doesn't have everything to the max. The 360 runs it with higher overall settings than most midrange PC could, but Oblivion looks better on high end PCs than it does on 360. In the XBox 360's defense, however, The 360 is still definitely the cheapest way to run Oblivion well.

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I've seen screenshots of uber-high-end PCs running Oblivion, and I haven't been able to tell the difference between them and a 360. ;)

Bah, who cares. Everyone gets to enjoy it. :)

9. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

As it's on the same topic, how well would a stock 20" iMac run Oblivion?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Stock, poorly. 512mb ram is too limited period.

With

256mb GFX card = 2gig Ram it ran on high settings at 1280x800 (or was it 720) very well. Looking almost as good as my Xbox 360, but without anti-aliasing....

11. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Eh, the stock 20" comes with 1gb. :confused:

Regardless, it's gotta run it better than the Wintel Box we've got. :p (Medium settings at like 800x600 or something).

Still, that's reasonably promising. I really wish apple let you upgrade the x1600 in the 17". <_<;

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Really, they must have beefed it up in the last update so. Mine definetly stock was 512...

13. Kimi macrumors regular

Link. The last pic, the normal pic is the 360, roll over it with your mouse and you'll see a PC screen. The PC looks better, but not a great deal better. It's east to tell the difference as both shots are in the same place in the game.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

yeah its negligable, but at $400-500 for a top end GFX card these days - hence i'd always edge towards to console route. At least I know my console will be grand for 4-5 years, compared to pc/mac that will be struggling with releases in 6-12 months time....

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The PC version seems to have higher contrast and more details in the distance. Though running at PC's super high resolutions you'd expect that. Still a small difference though. now, fast forward a couple of years when PC's are pushing out higher resolutions/etc, different story then. If the world doesn't 'splode in the meantime.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep does have a bit more foliage in the distance, but contrast can be changed within the options on the 360 and also depends on your lcd tv, so that can look as good or as bad depending on your tv/monitor....

Either way its a great game, no matter what your playing it on :)

17. scorpiorising macrumors newbie

i've tried it on mine, 7600gt w/ 2gb ram, 2.16ghz model

oblivion runs amazing...can't remember what resolution i'm running at, think its 1600x1200...with this card i sometimes run into some strange slowdown around certain types of fog/fire, but otherwise everything i've thrown at it has performed way beyond my expectations.

As for 200fps in WoW w/ all the settings cranked....well, maybe if i was in a small room looking at the ground i'd see those kind of numbers....i did an MC raid with it yesterday and i never dropped below 40fps...running around i've seen it peak at 90-100fps, but I'm not really paying that much attention to it, it runs perfectly at max everything so i'm happy.

18. Big-iMac macrumors newbie

That sounds great!! can you post some pics please! :)
    Thank you! :)

19. Sangel123(alach macrumors newbie

if you can get it to work on your mac:(