oblivion on macbook pro: What settings?

Discussion in 'Games' started by erkanasu, Apr 15, 2006.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Just bought this game and it dectected "high" settings for my mbp, but its not exactly fluid gameplay, a bit slow. What settings are u guys using( res, texture size, hdr, etc)..... thanks!

BTW. i have
    1.83 ghz
    1.5 gb ram

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well major thing is keep the detail settings up and leave resolution at 1024x768

HDR on, Bloom off
    Tree Canopy Shadows On, Grass Shadows On
    Self Shadow Off

You should get good performance with those settings however!!!!

I play at 1280x768 with a 256mb X1600. You only have 128, so maybe turn textures from large to medium.

The game is buggy though, I can be outside for example and everything is smooth like butter, I can go into a hut or cave, come back out and its like a slideshow. Save the game, exit and restart and its smooth again?.....

3. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

Wont 1024x768 be streched on a widescreen? thanks for your settings

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

nah, you'll get black bars on the sides - or should

5. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

no black bars

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

There are a few known killers of performance. Here is what I recommend:

Run at your LCD's native resolution. The game is very CPU bound, so running at 640 or 1600 almost doesn't make a difference.

Run with Bloom. Do not use HDR, its a huge killer of performance.

Turn off the following options:
    Grass (slider all the way to the left). Grass *really* kills performance.
    Shadows (both sliders to the left) Shadows are barely noticible and hurt performance a lot, especially outdoors, so just turn it off.
    Turn water quality to "normal" instead of high. Hardly a difference and huge gain in performance.

Those are the 3 biggest killers in performance. You can turn everything else pretty much to max, and it should run decently. You might turn actor view distance to 1/2 though, as having a lot of NPC's on the screen at once tends to kill things

7. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But the you end up with a crappy looking game so whats the point? It's like buying a racing car and taking off the wheels and body work and replacing the engine with a lawnmower.....

The reason 1024x768 is stretched is because it ATI displays, you have scale to screen, rather than scale and keep aspect....

9. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I'd be happy to take some screenshots for you. I'm running at 1280x1024 w/ 4xAA and Bloom, and the game looks beautiful with the settings I described. As I mentioned, shadows are barely noticeable (they are only drawn on characters), and the water difference is negligible. Not having grass is a minus, but sometimes you have to give a little when you don't have the best video card. Not to mention, the grass doesn't look all that good anyway, with the way it just pops in in the distance.

10. robert-a-hudson macrumors regular

Yeah, screenies please :D

I'm thinking about getting Oblivion, for my mbp, but am wary of what it may look like, so this would help deciding - otherwise i'm just gonna have to nick my mates 360 for a while!

11. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

please do, i would like to see it

12. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

[​IMG]

Not mines, but it should do the trick :)

13. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

14. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

It doesn't look all that great IMO, and its not worth the crazy performance hit. I prefer to keep grass off.

15. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

thanks for the screen shot. Have you had a chance to play oblivion on a 360?

16. ritehandkid macrumors newbie

Some more stuff

just testing this it looks messed sry post should follow

17. ritehandkid macrumors newbie

Some more stuff-- got screens

ok so this is my first post on this fourm but id like to help out in this battle.

First off i have a MacBook Pro, 2Ghz, only 1 gig of mem:( , n i'm runnin xp pro Sp2

So i've been tweaking oblivion for hours on end n i finally came to a concluding setting, i am running 1280x1024 res w/ AA off totally, i got shadows on minimal but stil some, grass is also on minimal, my view distance is maxed, Npc view distance is halfed (for better fps), tree n grass r both at medium, and i have HDR lighting on, so far its running pretty well for the few hours ive been playing on this setting, so over all i'm happy with my few frame rate skips here n there (nothing 2 bad eaisly playable) n the game stil looks sexy :D

heres a few screens of the water district for your enjoyment oh yeah an also my water detal is medium (high doesnt do much, just slows fps)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!
    -rhk

___edit___ sry lol for post didnt realize it is four months later.. hope it stil helps .. :p lol

18. dfective macrumors newbie

I'm running Oblivion on my 2.16Ghz 17" MacBook Pro, 2gb ram, 100gb HD.

I'm experiencing problems though of total random lockups. I'll be running about outside and the screen will go blank, then 2 seconds later the music will loop so fast that it sounds like a cd skipping.

Also upon loading Oblivion it will sometimes hang when i load a saved game. the progress bar will get to about 3/4 done then hang. Cant ctrl alt delete, nothing.... all i can do is shut the whole thing down.

The macbook also runs extremely hot as well when running oblivion... anyone else have the same problems?