oblivion on macbook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by r3dr0cket, Jun 20, 2006.

1. r3dr0cket macrumors newbie

hi guys! i just recently got a mb (black) and i have been wondering if oblivion will run at all on a mb? really wana know cuz i wana play the game, just duno if this laptop can handle it!

2. Hollystar macrumors newbie

sorry i don't think this game will play on ur MacBook

3. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

Not going to make a new topic, but i somewhat grabbed a few nice vid off youtube :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FPdiSMv4YOY&search=macbook
    HL2 Episode 1
    1.83 GHz , 2gb ram

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TC5ST9VHcnk&search=macbook
    Doom 3
    White MacBook 2 GHz, 2GB RAM. low resolution: 640x480, settings on Low, though it doesn't look too bad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2TY3LOi7fLM&search=macbook
    Matte vs glossy (macbook pro – macbook)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hZCag0iDXLc&search=macbook
    Neverball
    Tilting….

And yes Episode 1 HL2 is working full speed!!! :D now where is my money :p

And that's a second question.. does anybody know a way to make money like people donating or some kind??? cuz i'm really poor.. I receive 40€ a month from my parents, but with that amount i cannot buy a macbook...

4. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

How about getting a job?

And to stay on topic, Oblivion will most likely run in single digit fps even on lowest settings.

5. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

It won't run well, despite what lewion will tell you. I guess he doesn't even own a macbook?

6. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Oblivion is probably one of the most graphically demanding games out today. If it does run, it probably will not be playable, even on lowest settings. Check out the requirements for it.

7. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

hmm did i say i have one... but if hl2 runs at great fps.. why won't oblivion? I think it will play but maybe just 10 fps or something.. not playable though...

8. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

On a PC, an X1600 gets owned by Oblivion.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/14/radeon_x1600_pro/page8.html

While it's an AGP version, it won't make any difference. In any case, the X1600 in the iMac and MacBook Pro both are underclocked, so you're looking at worse results.

Oblivion has all kinds of weird issues anyway. It crashes with my 7800GT unless I underclock by 50Mhz core. I'd say find a better game.

A Macbook will get reamed.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it's possible with hacks.

btw; cyber begging sucks.

10. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

could you try it with the Odblivion hack???? in windows??? If you can plz do so and make a movie...
    If not, well i know you like to but don't have time :D

11. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Hacks don't matter. It might not even install. Besides, why put up with the frustration of trying to play it like that?

12. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

lol... i dunno i'm obsessed with macs but i never owned one.. i hope to get money together by oktober to buy me a macbook (which will probably have a gma 965 then..) also new computer... maybe iMac... trying hard to get money, i love mac and osx i hate windows.... and i've been using linux for 2 years until i had to quit with linux because of exams... But now exams over and installing latest kubuntu - ubuntu dapper drake 6.06 with xGl :D switching virtual desktops yum yum

But osx is still better then linux.... More beautiful...More user friendly... And on a mac you can have linux with cedega too :D Windows will not be on it if i buy it :D:D

13. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

That's fine and dandy, but Oblivion will not be playable on a macbook no matter how bad you want it to. Do yourself a favor, and go get a 360 and oblivion, then you can play and actually enjoy it.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thier is a hack to get it to install, which is the one i'm talking about, anyway i dont have it and i cant be arsed to acquire it.

15. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

odblivion.org... jees ... plz try it :D

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

odblivion.org? Failed to open? :confused:

17. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

It runs (almost) adequately on my desktop with a 2.6GHz P4, 6800GT, and 1GB RAM. No way is it going to be playable on a Macbook. Just accept it, lewion!

18. Topono macrumors member

19. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

jup srry my mistake with those linux org sites ;)

20. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Oblivion

I installed oblivion on my imac, and you guys are TOTALLY wrong. I have it on all highest except antialiasing, and I get about 30 fps out by water. It's on the native rez. Of course, I overclocked the GPU to about 450/450 (17", from 300/300)

Oh, nvm, you're right, I thought he wanted to do it on a macbook PRO. There is NO FRICKIN' way that you're going to play oblivion on integrated graphics. It can BARELY run HL2 with them, you think it can run oblivion!?

21. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I thought it was only underclocked on the 15.4" MBP to save battery, and on the 17" the GPU has variable clock speeds, depending on how much is needed.

22. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I play Doom 3 on my 2Ghz MB on medium to high settings:)

23. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

No, it's because it gets too hot! Some macbook pros get to over 200°! You can cook eggs on there, not to mention your hardware if it were any higher ;)

24. 7on macrumors 601

7on

2 year old game versus new state of the art game...

25. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Actually, it should run alright.

As a couple people have previously posted, take a look at oldblivion.com. I use it on my PC at home, which only has a 5600 Ultra. It's very easy to use, and VERY easy to configure. I haven't run into any bugs, and the performance increase is amazing. I imagine if you use the low-medium settings in the Oldblivion setup program, it would run just fine.

Good luck! :D