Oblivion on Pc?

Discussion in 'Games' started by EvilDoc, Apr 8, 2006.

1. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Any one here play oblivion on a pc? i want to buy it but iam hoping to get an xbox360 next month so i dont want to buy it twice. So can anyone who has played it tell me if there are any big diffrence between the 360 version and the pc version? gameplaywise?

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ahh I have a very solid read for u. should help you with ur decision

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6147028/index.html

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

The PC version is great simply because of the added mods you can use to tweak the game and improve on a lot of the broken things Bethesda left in the game. However, you need a pretty damned good PC to get full enjoyment out of the game.

4. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Basically if you have a TOP of the line PC.

3.2 - 3.4GHz P4, 2GB ram, 7800GFX or better :rolleyes: then the pc would be better. Anything of lesser specs get the 360 as it will be better.....

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, im in the problem of. I got a high end gaming PC and the 360 and I wouldnt mind getting it for that but I dont have an HD set.

7. fervor macrumors newbie

Get a MacBook Pro for it...

Yesterday, I installed Boot Camp on my 2.0ghz MacBook Pro, installed Windows XP, and then Oblivion. I didn't expect it to work well but figured it would be a good test. Oblivion, during it's startup chose 'Best' as the setting for the hardware it saw, so I thought for SURE I'd be having to lower that. I found a cheat code that let me get to a location 'outside' in the game, as I'd heard that even lesser machines handle the beginning dungeon area okay.

All I can say is: HOLY SMOKES!!!! It ran perfectly at the 'best' setting. It looks incredible. Perfectly smooth as you look around no matter how fast you do so. I am extremely impressed - and by the way the game is beautiful! Had a friend there with me who said it looked just as good as it did on his 360.

A very 'odd' experience seeing your beloved Mac boot up under Windows, but it's also very cool to play a brand new, much sought after, game like Oblivion. :D

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep I downloaded the demo. Wasnt as good performance wise as the 360.

Then I got bought a copy of the retail version (i actually bought it for my neighbours birthday, but thought I'd give it a try :) )

And performace is much improved. As last poster says, my spec was detected as high.

I also added Grass Shadow, Tree Canopy Shadows, improved the drawdistance on trees. HDR is on (AA off)

Running at 1280x768 (close to the 360 resolution wise) and it's all very smooth and runs really well. :D :D :D

Didn't even need to overclock the GPU.

I have a feeling this game makes use of dual CPU's... It's the only thing I can think why it works so well on such an average gfx card (the cpu is compensating)

Regardless it's great news for all Mac owners.

As for orginal poster, if you havent got a HD set for your 360, 2 options. Buy a VGA cable and use your PC monitor to play it in HD, or just buy the PC version.

Oh Happy Days :)

One thing finaly I must suggest for you mac owners. BUY an corded Xbox 360 pad. It works straight away with Oblivion and control is a lot better. :D :D :D :D :D

9. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

we i have an HD LCD, but i really want to play oblivion... bad. i can proably get an xbox360 with in a month or so but i want to play this game bad. i guess i will just have to download it. You mentioned there was a demo? where?

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I have two wireless and to wired... the wired pads do indeed work great in both OS X and XP, some of the best "computer" gamepads I've used! :D

And much better response then using PSX/N64/GCN/DC/Xbox USB adaptors. :)

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Where did you get the demo from? I was looking for it yesterday and couldn't find it :(

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Torrented it.

13. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

There is no demo of Oblivion, so whatever it is you downloaded is probably illegal.

14. Xybr macrumors member

I own the Xbox 360 version and my roommate has the PC version. It looks really, really good on the 360 w/ a HDTV in 720p or 1080i mode. It beats out my roommate's Radeon X1600 Pro. but the PC doesn't hiccup on the "Loading Area" as much as the 360 (and i even have the HDD). If you don't have a MBP, Intel iMac, or a 3GHz+ PC - get the 360 version. but if you've got the hardware, go for the PC version. as a note on the PC version, it can crash a lot - which should be fixed in a patch in a month or so.

L8r,
    Xybr

PowerBook G4 12" 1.5 GHz / 512MB RAM / 80GB HDD / SuperDrive / 10.4.6
    Custom / Athlon-64 3200+ / 1GB PC3200 RAM / 80GB + 120GB HDD / XP SP2

15. xJus10x macrumors regular

I have a 360, but I'm gettin a 20" iMac Core Duo with 256MB VRAM, so I guess my question is what platform should I get his for. I was thinking for my computer with all the mods. What would you guys say?

16. Xybr macrumors member

That's a tough question. I'd probably get it for the sweet iMac 20" to show it w/ Boot Camp.

17. xJus10x macrumors regular

Alright, cool. Thats what I was thinking too.

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Thank you Mr. Obvious. We had no idea :rolleyes:

19. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I would really like to see a screen shot of the pc version on a iMac, but all the screen shots i have seen have been on a "true" pc.. i dont think i could play the game on min or med settings after seeing the 360 version. So i know the game will play the same but i guess i really dont want it to look like trash compared to the 360..