oblivion ps3

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkwing, Mar 20, 2007.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

A while ago there was a thread in which many people suggested I get Oblivion for the PS3 when it comes out. I've never played it before, and the game is out... so should I get it? Convince me!

I've spent about 95% of my RPG life playing JRPGs, and I've never really cared for American ones. I did like a few, though.

So, let me hear some opinions and we'll see what I do. :p I might try to rent it somewhere and check it out or something first.

Let me say what I really care about in an RPG more than anything is a story with an intriguing plot that makes me want to keep playing to find out what happens.

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Just play oblivion with the pc version on a imac or mac pro with boot camp. The ps3 version isn't really all that.

3. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Uh, it isn't in stores yet.. so I'm sure you've played it a ton and know this for a fact.

My thread wasn't a 360/pc/ps3 oblivion differences thread, but just an Oblivion thread. I only mentioned ps3 because I haven't played it on the other 2 platforms yet, and was thinking of getting it because I don't have a ps3 rpg yet.

It won't get to stores until today or tomorrow.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well the 360 version is massivly popular on here - just expect Jimmi to jump in and say the game is bug ridden and unplayable.

The game is very good - if you dont have the other versions - i'd certainly suggest you add it to your ps3 list. :)

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

it's a pretty good game, I might pick it up for PS3 (I sold my 360 copy ages ago to a buddy), with the increased graphical goodies (ie. draw distance) and apparently reduced load times, it should be pretty gravy. Just, only thing about it....the damn stupid leveling system. :mad: it's bound to annoy.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was condering getting it for the ps3, but as I have both the PC & 360 I really can't justify it :D Unless I trade in the 360 version and sell the pc ;)

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Flamebaiting? I'll bite. Bear in mind I wasn't going to post in here... Thanks MRU :)

It is immensely buggy. I'd be surprised if the PS3 did away with the texture loading bugs. I mean if you've played Halo 2 you'll have a foundation on what to expect. Try running off something with your horse and you'll still hear galloping noises and the running animation will still play.

It's full of rather basic problems that should have been spotted instantly (didn't take me long) by testers. Instead of which your left with a game that feels that it could be as super grand as WoW.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Lol... :D

millions of sales. GOTY awards & B.A.F.T.A nominations. Critical Acclaim and general consensus of greatness from the gaming public. But all were wrong.

9. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Can someone explain the leveling up system and why it will annoy? Also, can someone please tell me about the story and if it matches the criteria I mentioned?

I picked up Summoner for the PS2 when it was out. I think that was American too... either way I played it a bit and then got bored. I fear the same will happen with Oblivion.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oblivion is so open ended. Pretty much you can spend 60 hours and not even touch the main story.

It's hard to explain without spoilers.

You can pick who you want to be - race - sex and the world will dynamically adjust so that on character may be much easier to talk to NPC's compared to another race.

There are a myriad of side quests - some which will lead you to being a hero - well respected warrior

Others leading you to being a cheap dirty theif - well respected in the underworld.

And speaking of underworld - there are some choices that will lead you to stay away from the sun ;)

There's just so much to do.

I never found the leveling up complicated - I just left it on auto for the most part.

Your best bet is to read a few reviews of the 360 version. I'm sure PS3 reviews will be online within the next day or two also.

But if your looking for a well crafted - enjoyable RPG - it's hard to fault it.

Sure there are bugs & glitches, but most of these were patched - maybe the version Jimmi played wasnt up to date - but I've never heard ANY sound lag. Yes theres a fair bit of loading on the world surface - this is what you pay for wanting so much detail in your world. Unlike the barron planes on Zelda..

Loading say a dungeon takes on average 5-10 secs. The PS3 version is meant to load a little faster. The PS3 version also fixes the draw distance issue, making the blending between near and far more smooth.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I got my copy of Oblivion about 20 min ago.

Required HD space 4600MB
    Supported Video Modes: 480p, 720p

Dolby Digital EX (7 Ch)

I'll be loading it up once i get home :)

Ed

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sweet let us know what it's like. :)

:eek: 4.6gb loaded to the HDD. No wonder it's meant to have better load times.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

let us know Ed! I have $100 cash that is burning a hole in my pocket :D

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Man you like to smear it in don't you:)

Bless

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I *only* have 9 PS3 & 9 Wii games now :p MRU is the one you should be concerned with *points*

Ed

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

what me :eek:

just because I only got my PS3 in Feb, i've been very good. 10 games for it so far (excluding downloads):D :p

38 - 360 games, but only 7 wii games excluding games I've bought and exchanged. 9 psp and a dozen DS lite games...

That's not bad. My GC collection is 98 games, my xbox over 200 and ps2 just under 200......... more money than sense...

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

When I get over this HDTV stump..I'll show all of you!:mad:

My collection:

PSP - 25 strong
    DS - 10 strong
    xbox - 100 strong
    360 - 8 strong
    PS3 - 0 weak
    wii - 3 strong
    PS2 - 200+ strong baby!

Bless

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1 Up Review

19. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for posting the review, MRU.. however, nobody's answered my question about the story! :(

I may just wait a bit anyway.. I'm sure with their PC background we'll have 10 patches by next month. :p

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Problem is if we answer your question about the story then you may as well have a big Spolier ;) :D

Bascially the overall story without spoilers

Your in prison - crazy sh*t is going down and someone who see's' in you somthing of a ray of hope.

Bish bash - you escape prison and are sent to take somthing to someone.

At this point you can either A) go ahead and deliver the goods and follow on the intriguing story or B) explore.

The main quest is very good and will take you all over the world and will last you about 15-20 hours.

But .... by going to B) YOUR story is going to be utterly different to every one else who plays the game.

Very much like FABLE promised but never delivered - your actions and choices will shape your character / their strengths and weaknesses and the way NPC's will deal or not deal with you.

This 'just existing in the world' story is mammoth in it's own right and some of the stories are truly fantastic...

I'll just say the word 'PAINTER' and those that have done that will know what I'm talkling about.

Basically Oblivion is a great RPG and worth checking out. You can always trade it in later if you decide its not for you.

But I think the main quest story is excellent - nights of the 9 expansion is gravy on the excellence and all the other quests and stories through out the world are just the icing on an otherwise scrumptious RPG cake.

21. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the story review, MRU. I feel pretty good about the game and will probably check it out. Now I'll go and read up on the gameplay and decide for sure. I'll keep you all posted. :p

22. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

That part was awesome. I remember first wondering what was going on and then realizing what had happened. :)

23. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

24. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Its on sale for $44.99 at Frys, oh wait no Fry's in Joseph Smith land.. :p

It is worth every penny, great game :)

25. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I had tons of fun with Oblivion, I played with a crummy 9600SE on my PC but I still got to enjoy tons, I played for 70 hours and then just got bored but I do not enjoy it much as an RPG, I do not think its much of an RPG, more like a very cool open-ended adventure game, I DO recommend it though.

When I got my Mac Pro I started playing again and it was fun for a few moments (because it looked so good now) but eventually I got bored of it.

If I have to be honest I have not much fond memories of the game, I did have fun and all but the Oblivion charm wore off relatively quick on me, I was not too fond of the leveling system, story, and the whole 3 voice actors for 200 characters really irked me.

I DO recommend getting it on PC simply because of the amazing amount of mods (put it simply, you don't like something, there is probably a mod to fix that), Oscuro Oblivion Overhaul pretty much makes Oblivion worth playing again, you can improve the visuals, etc. I think the PC version is definitely the one to get but of course you can't go wrong with PS3 either but mods make the gameplay infinitely flexible, you really can change the game altogether with mods.