Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeyarbrough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Hey guys,

So I bought a 2 gen. MBA back in February and everything has been fine. When traveling I keep it in a nice sleeve, the whole shebang. This thing survived a month in the Costa Rican rainforest and a backpacking trip through Europe with literally no issues and no damage whatsoever.

I walked from my apartment to campus today with the laptop in the super-cushioned sleeve. Took it out of my bag and there was a ridiculous crack across the entire screen. Looks like a girl's hair is stuck inside of the display. (Obviously isn't, just giving you a visual.)

Nothing happened today, no drops etc. Would I have any grounds to get it replaced for free as I am still under warrantee?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Murphy's Law.

sometimes crap just happens! but really sucks dude. warranty?

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Warranty covers manufacturing defects, whether you can convince apple that it was a defect so long after having the machine is debatable. Generally if a screen has a weakspot enough for it to 'just crack' then it will happen pretty early on.

mikeyarbrough

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Warranty covers manufacturing defects, whether you can convince apple that it was a defect so long after having the machine is debatable. Generally if a screen has a weakspot enough for it to 'just crack' then it will happen pretty early on.

True. I have a friend that works in Apple inventory, I'm going to see if he can help me out with that whole pain of a process. (My charger completely frayed out the other week and they gave me grief about replacing it. Can't imagine what they'll do about this.)

----------

Murphy's Law.

sometimes crap just happens! but really sucks dude. warranty?

Yep, thankfully I'm under warrantee for another few months. Hoping this falls under it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.