obscure app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KooBrewoP, May 24, 2004.

1. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

I have loads of photos, colected from diffrent sorces and i need to organize them all. I often get a lot called 1 or 2 etc , so i have to rename them when i put them in with others of the same name, and sometimes i need to organize folders, by renaming hundreds of photos 1, 2, 3 or a1, a2 etc. In this age of electric shiny things their must be an automated process that can rename hundreds of files for me, anyone know of one? :confused:

2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

If you're using Mac OS X 10.2 or 10.3, go into the "Applescript" folder inside of your "Applications" folder. You should find a program called "Install Script Menu" there. If you double click on that, it will install a menu near the top right of your screen (in the menu bar, left of the date/time display).

That menu includes a bunch of useful Applescripts... including some scripts for the Finder that allow you to rename, or append text to the names of a folder full of files. It works great, I've used it many times.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Very cool!

But for idiots like me who don't generally need these scripts, I'll save you five minutes of searching: There is a "remove script menu" application in the same folder.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Doesn't Cmd+dragging off the menu bar work too?

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes, it does. Now, I've learned three things today.

Sigh.

6. KooBrewoP thread starter macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

7. KooBrewoP thread starter macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

Ah but you can only replace names with the same number, not ascending or descending numbers, or am i missing something.