Obsessive Compulsive Behaviors

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Jun 27, 2006.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I have several rather odd OCD-like habits, I'm sure most of us do, but lately I've noticed that they are getting worse and also that I've begun developing new ones. It doesn't worry me, but it made me start to wonder about other people's strange obsessive behaviors. But instead of searching the web and reading about some guy I'll probably never meet, I figured I'd ask the MR crowd about theirs.

So, what kind of strange OCD-like behaviors or habits do you have? I'm not necessarily talking about serious ones, but I am definitely not talking about those of you who have to wash your hands everytime you use the bathroom. :rolleyes:

I'll start:

1. When drinking from a clear glass, after taking each sip, I can't help but wipe off the tiny bit of moisture that is left on the rim of the glass itself with my thumb. From there, I wipe my thumb off on my clothes (usually my thigh) and repeat each time I take a sip. I don't know why the glass matters, but it does. This isn't something I think about either, I've just had it pointed out to me numerous times before and apparently, I always do it.

2. This is the one that is more serious and getting worse quickly. It's hard to explain but here goes! Things such a light switches, power buttons, volume knobs, doors, windows, locks.. anything that can be set to one position or another (on/off, open/close, etc), I can't help but give in to the overwhelming feeling that each time I adjust something, press something, turn something, I didn't do it all the way. Like, when I walk out of my bedroom and shut the light off, I walk a few steps and turn around, walk back, and press the light switch down harder to make sure it isn't stuck in some odd-ball inbetween point. I often find myself saying "just leave it, think about something else" and eventually I do, but usually I have to go back and do it over, which usually doesn't make me feel much better. :rolleyes:

Another example is with buttons. For instance, the power buttons on my monitors. Whenever I shut them off, I feel like I didn't push the button all the way down before releasing it, and have to do it again.

These things don't really bother me or upset me, just things that I do that I wish I didn't because... well, wtf? ;)

I have more, but I want to hear some others first! Oh, and forum-related ones would be especially interesting!

BTW, sorry if this has been posted already, I searched and found nothing. :)

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I do this too :eek: I find myself checking my front door lock more than once, or the volume levels on my audio system. I think that i broke the switch for the power windows in my last car, i would always flip the switch a few times "just to be sure" It has gotten worse as I have aged, or at least it seem that way.

Glad I'm not alone :D

Ed

3. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

OCD ftw! I hate it, bothers me like crazy, but what can I do.

My worst one is endless counting. I nonstop count things. I only do it in groups of 2, 3, or 4 though. I will repeatedly count them trying to make them divisible by those 3 numbers. If i'm at the movies (this one annoys me,) I can't stop counting the on screen characters, or the people sitting in front of me.

Another one I have is sort of like yours, but it's me wondering if I locked my truck. I can sit there, press the button, walk away and not 10 seconds later grab my keys, stick them to my chin, and press it again. Don't ask about the chin thing. Then i'll get another 10 seconds away, and make sure my keys are in my pocket. Endless cycle as I do this throughout my trip in the store, or whereever I am.

Annoying.

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

You're definitely not alone. :D

This also crosses over to wrenching as I tend to overtighten the hell out of everything. Not in computers, because I have a genuine respect for their fragility (is that a word?), but I strip bolts left and right when working on my motorcycle. Glad they are cheap!

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I can't stop looking for weird quirks in posts. ;)

I'm like that - I will almost always lock my car twice.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

At least you're consistent......

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I've been known to run out to my car making sure its locked... I'm glad my new car doesnt need a key/remote since i would inevitably break that like i did my last car. "is it locked *hits button* once more to make sure *hits button again*"

I have broken some of that cheaper particle board furniture cause i over-tightened parts :D

I also tend to tune anything with numbers like my amp to even numbers, for some reason i cant get myself to stop at a odd number :D

I'm a freak i guess :p

Ed

8. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

:D

What? :confused:

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Classic Excessive Compulsive. Run, don't walk, to your nearest mental health expert. If it's getting worse as you say, it may get a LOT worse. Seriously dude.

10. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

My TV has the volume display in numbers, and it always has to be on a factor of 2 or 5, otherwise I don't like how it sounds.

Yes. Yes you are. :p

You're scaring me! Stop! *shuts monitor off*

*turns it back on*

*shuts it off really good this time*

;)

11. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I wash my hands any chance I walk near a sink or sometimes I go way out of my way just to wash them. I sometimes wash my arms too.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I always have to stop on a mark... which I can't seem to do in this screenshot.

Attached Files:

13. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

1) I can't stand having open doors. It's not even so much a need for privacy, but just KNOWING it's open the tiniest crack drives me insane. I can't watch movies in the den if I know that the door is ajar, even though it's behind me. When I watch movies, I get antsy watching the characters leave their doors ajar; or open the front door and NEVER SHUT IT AGAIN. I end up thinking about it for the next 15 min of the movie.

2) I do ratios and percentages in my head about EVERYTHING. Someone says "My two friends and I" and I'm thinking well considering they have 10 friends, that's 2/10 or 1/5 or 20% of their social network. It's crazy.

3) I have a weird urge to come to a full stop at all stop signs. While walking. I do it all the time....I stop at stop signs while on walks in my neighborhood, etc.

14. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Yeah, what's with that? :confused:

Apple is trying to torment us! :eek:

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Right on.

I'm obsessed with 5s, to the point that almost everything I do, I do in 5s (not posting, though -- the internet is a strangely fiveless zone to me). I'm always summing numbers to see if they get to five -- if I do something in a four I get frustrated if I can't find a way to do it as a five. I live at 18 X Road, number 1 -- a good place to live because it sums to a multiple of five.

I get out of bed when I can sum the numbers on my clock to a five. My bowling approach is five carefully configured steps. I take 15 steps from my bed to my kitchen. I skip two steps in my stairs to climb ten instead of twelve. I eat chunks of food in fives (I'll cut a reasonable size of meat into five pieces, for example), I sip my beverages in fives. I wiggle my toes in fives, I tap the keyboard in fives when trying to think of what I do in fives. I count off all steps in five, making sure I take the fifth step before reaching an approaching crack. I pet the dog in mulptles of five pets. I kiss the woman in multiples of five pecks (she hates it). I wash dishes in multiples of five scrubs. When scrubbing a tough spot, I scrub it five or ten times.

Guess it makes me sound crazy. But instant fives pretty much make me tick -- keep me in the moment, if you will. :eek:

16. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

@thedude110: The sum of the numbers in your username is 2. :eek:

But I suppose 110 is a multiple of five, so you are safe. :p

@max_altitude: Multiples of 2 and 5, eh? Weird. ;)

17. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I would say my biggest one is when setting the volume on things. I like having volumes set at multiples of 2 or 5. I don't like them being on prime numbers either. The numbers 21, 11 are acceptable however. I will go to great lengths to make sure this is the case, even if it means the volume being a little too loud or soft. Weird, I know, especially since I don't even know why I'm like this.

Another one I just thought of is remote controls must be lined up neatly on coffee tables.

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

After stating that you return to double check light switches, buttons and such to make sure you didn't make a mistake, you end your post with...
    "BTW, sorry if this has been posted already, I searched and found nothing."
    To which I responded, "at least you're consistent".

19. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I still don't get it, but if it helps, I searched 4 times. :D

"OCD"
    "obsessive compulsive"
    "obsessive behaviors"
    "obsessive habits"

20. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

When riding my bike, I absolutely HAVE to feel in all of my pockets to make sure I have everything (cell phone, wallet) even thought I can FEEL it through my pants. Just me being overly cautious I guess.

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I rest my case. :rolleyes:

22. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Did I mention I can't stand not knowing what someone meant when they said something to me and then gave up when I didn't understand? It's one of my things... :D

23. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i have too many to list!

but i myself have found a way to self medicate and keep my OCD in check...

used to be a lot worse when i was younger! :)

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's apparently very common, according to my psych lecturer. I have the same issues, FWIW. :cool:

25. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Indeed. Multiples of five are acceptable when numbers don't sum to five.

I wouldn't get out of bed at 1:10, though -- I'd wait until 1:13. But that's motivated laziness, if you will.