[obvious] DS Lite outsells the PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/17/japanese-hardware-sales-6-november-12-november-new-contender/

Yea, I'm pretty much just copying and pasting from Joystiq. And we all knew this was going to happen. But what else is interesting is that the DS Lite actually sold 35k extra units than normal this week, and outsold every console combined in Japan.

Forget the Wii being the PS3's rival, the DS Lite has thrown down it's glove! Now I'm off to play Final Fantasy 3 DS.

edit: what's also funny is the 360 finally outsold the Gameboy Micro too.

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah that extra 35k ds lites during another console launch are impressive for sure..... gonna be interesting when the ps3 will hit the top spot for the first time

3. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

If the Ps3 launched with 5 million ps3's they would have sold all of them.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

right. okay!

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

That would be called oversaturation.

I don't think Sony WANTS to sell that many units all at once. I think they're trickling them out because they're losing over $200 per system they sell. The more they staunch the flow of systems, the more time they have to reduce production costs. They'll sell the same number of units in the end, but might possibly lose LESS money doing so.

Conspiracy theores!

6. mkubal macrumors 6502a

It'd be interesting to know how many of those DS were sold to people so they could play while waiting in line for a PS3.

7. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Actually, in Japan it's a definite possibility that that will never happen, due to Wii and PS3 production issues.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Man, it sure did:

148,174 - DS Lite
    124,106 - All other consoles combined
    ---------
    24,068 - Difference

The difference alone outsold every other console except PS3. That's pretty amazing.

I look forward to seeing Wii in these numbers! ;)

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Did they:rolleyes:

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

:rolleyes: run out of thing to rip the PS3 on ? You guys are getting desperate.

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Nintendo must be pi***ng themselves laughing about this one. Sony made a loss of a good about $16 million that day. Since the DS Lite is based on two year old technology, the production costs of it are probably way below the sale price so Nintendo made a healthy profit on the launch day of the PS3 while Sony made a heavy loss.

Sucks to be Sony. The talk on here reasoning that Sony might be artificially keeping production down for the first few months in order to wait for the manufacturing costs to come down is seeming far more reasonable to me everyday and fully explains the four month delay for a European release. If supply issues carry on going for a while then people wanting to get presents for their kids will be buying Xbox 360s and Wiis simply because there are no PS3s to buy and they have no choice.

BTW, I know that I probably come across as very PS3 on this board but I just want to make it be known that I'm only disappointed in the methodology used by Sony in marketing this product. As far as gameplay goes I feel that the 360 plays the same games at mostly the same performance in terms of graphics and speed. I prefer the Wii for games over both 360 and PS3 simply because its different and I like the fact that Nintendo seem to have focussed on gameplay rather than latest technology. I believe the PS3 is a fantastic piece of technology and if money was not an issue I'd get one, hands down. I would absolutely love to get hold of a bunch load of them and run the Linux cluster software that's due out but as far as gameplay goes, I don't see the point in PS3 over 360 and think Sony have been complete a-holes about everything.