Occult Populations on MR.... Them and Us?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by UKnjb, Jun 17, 2006.

1. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

So. So I have been hanging out on MR for long enough to get acclimatised (maybe) to who's who and what is going on here (hmmm - maybe not). I try to read the majority of stuff that gets posted, out of interest and to help where I can. And contribute to the general mayhem if it is called for. :D

Except. Except that I only occasionally dip my toes into the Mac Programming forums. Because every time I look at what is happening in there, it all seems such high-octane and serious stuff that I get tense and rush out to the relative safety of Mac Basics or Community. :eek:

i have noticed in the Programming forums a load of members, the overwhelming majority whose names I never see in the more 'general' forums. And I am left wondering if these people are the real MR elite - scorning the rough-and-tumble of those places where their talents would be wasted and concentrating, instead, on doing very very clever things. While we (and I suppose me) are pondering the best way to run fsck or whatever, these guys are coding apps and I do not know what that, for all I know, will drive a golf cart to the moon. :eek:

Is it just me that sees it like this or is there a general recognition of them and us? If the latter, maybe we could organise an e-party where we could all meet up in some cyber-spot and all get introduced. :)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think there are a number of them and us groups, depending on focus, with a number of overlapping Venn sets and shifting categories.

Here's one that only a few people here belong to.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The forums I never seem to make it into (except for reported posts) are the Games and Windows on the Mac forums. I do not have and may never have Windows on my Macs, and the Games I play are WarCraft III. Oh wait. Just the one. So it'd be the game I play. Poorly. Not into it enough for that forum (but I might play - oh the excitement - Civ IV when it's out).

Otherwise, I venture into all of them from time to time. However, lately, I tend to hide out in the Private forums. It feels... less hectic there.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

we all fit into one category or another, but here we are all mac users and lovers (hopefully both) and well at least we have the whole mac thing to keep us tied together, i dont think it ever needs to be broken down more than that personally.

5. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I just went through a few of the threads there until I realized I hadn't understood a single word in that past five minutes. I think it may be easier to understand Chinese. Plus, if you learn Chinese it would be a lot easier to order takeout.

Anyway, I don't know if I would consider these people "the elite," but certainly a cult, maybe with a few famous members. Not that that is a bad thing, its just the way it is!

If Buying Advice and all the other popular forums are Christianity, Community would be Judaism (Similar but on a much smaller scale), and Programming could be Scientology! And I mean that in the nicest way possible :D

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Following that analogy, I think that Distributed Computing would be Buddhism, and the Political Forum could be Hinduism with its constantly warring gods. :D

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

When I started MacRumoring I mainly stuck to front page stuff and buy tips and discussion because I was thinking about getting a Mac and wanted to know everything about them. Then I just got sucked in completely and now I read pretty much everything that interests me in any forum.

In terms of participation, I think I contribute mainly to the Community and Private forums, occasionally in Mac Hardware and Software and then pretty rarely in all then rest. That's not to say I don't enjoy other Forums - I really like the Special Interest photography related areas because I like looking at the pretty pictures. :eek:

As for groups, they definitely exist in certain forums though I never get a feeling of us and them. If you contribute useful and interesting things then you'll be accepted. MR people are a friendly bunch! :)

PS - the Politics Forum is kind of scary so I only venture there on the odd occasion.

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Hmm...I would say that Distributed Computing would be more Communism and therefore Atheist, and political forms...well...Hinduism sounds good, but since posts there don't add to your post count it shouldn't matter at all :p

9. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Exactly how I felt when I was working up this thread. Except you put it better. :) I think that I am hoping a few of the guys who hang out in that Programming forum will come here and say "Hi" and say what they think before they get back to --- well their stuff.

10. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I think someone should go over there and post a "Hey, Guys, people are talking about you over in Community" thread, just so they know. As far as we know, they never venture out of their forum, and I feel bad talking behind people's backs :D

11. iGav macrumors G3

I don't think it's a them and us type thing, it's just what interests people, nothing more. For example, AidenShaw has been around for donkeys but I can't recall the last time he frequented and posted in the Community section, yet I always take time to read his posts up in the main news discussion because what he has to say is interesting, infomative and often a good counterpoint to the expected Mac superiority attitude that comes with being on a Mac site.

That said... I generally get the impression that an air of cliquiness sometimes prevails on MR, whether it's intentional or not I don't know... but I find it off putting, and I've been around here for years, yet I often don't feel part of many discussions. :(

12. UKnjb thread starter macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Yup, someone else who is better with words than me! :eek: That is exactly what I meant about them and us - just differing interests in people and not managing to meet as a result. :)

i would gladly do that, but I know nothing of C++ or whatever and couldn't code the post properly... :(

And just as I posted this, right above mine was this thread!!!

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are forums on MR? ;) I tend to just hit the 'New Posts' option and see what comes up.

If the thread title looks interesting, if I've subscribed in the past or if there are a lot of responses then I'll click and find out more. Hence, I occasionally find myself out of depth in the Programming forum, shocked by the vituperative comments in the Political one, astonished by some of the shots in the digital photography one and enjoying some of the more random ones in Community. If there's one that I feel I can help out on, I will - otherwise I pass on by.

Cliquey? I'm not sure. There's definitely a community angle which I think has become more important than the 'help and advice' one. Hence why several of our most popular members are more feted for their humour and wit than technical help - but since we're not merely there for technical help, it all seems to work.

I do think we should be a little more tolerant to newbies in there who are often panicking about why their new beloved Mac is doing something odd and for whom searching through reams of posts isn't the first thing that crossed their minds

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Me too. :D

I find myself out of my depth in all of the speciality forums. In fact, the only forum I'm truly comfortable in, is Wasteland.

The Digital Video and Design Forums are actually what I have the most difficult with though. :eek:

15. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I do the same now too, but when I first started out here I went by forums because I didn't ever think to click on New Posts. :eek:

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I roam around the fun topics because it is what i need after a hard day....I rather enjoy the fun light hearted stuff more..

I keep my distance from politics(sometimes) and the other mumbo jumbo.

Bless

17. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I tried to learn some simple programming. . . Even tried out the programming forum, its just not for me. . .
    I have been known to roam:
    Community Discussion
    Games
    Marketplace
    Music
    Photos(browsing, rarely post)

I check out the other from time to time. When I first sigened up a while back I spent A LOT MORE time posting and looking at buying adivce forums and mac basics. . . .That was back before the sub-forums changed name

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, everyone seems united in their fear and loathing of the Political Forum...

As someone who posts mostly in that forum, I guess I am part of some sort of clique - kinda like a leper colony.

The only real noticeable clique I have noticed, is that of Demis and regular posters, which is to be expected with private forum access. All kinds of wierd things involving crabs and pancakes and whatnot go on in there...

I don't mind really though, as it is a reward for supporting the site - and open to anyone potentially. I guess money can buy (cyber) happiness after all...

Other than the political forum, I tend to limit myself to the community/current events forums mostly, and just read the rest. The design forums usually already have most of the answers I am looking for, and the buying advice and page 1-type forums tend to be too repetitive and dry for my tastes, to bother posting.

Regardless, this is such an excellent community - and this is no small feat considering how long MR has been around, and the diversity of its' members. I believe the moderators have been superb in handling it all.

Cheers.

19. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I joined the forums by chance (was surfing for PowerBook Pictures one night while I was REALLY bored). I joined the comment on some of the pictures and so the pictures forum is where I started. After awhile I started venturing to the other forums. BUT, not using a Macintosh on a regular basis I feel most at home in the community forum. This is where we all share a common interest, and my lack of not having a current Macintosh on the desk isn't really hurting me.

I suspect when I get a Macintosh I will have a lot more to contribute to the site, at that time I suspect I will also contribute to the site money wise since I will spend a lot more time here. Hopefully that time is this fall.

Elite populations? I thought all Demi's were elite.