OCR programs for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Westside guy, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hi,

The subject says it all - I'm looking for an OCR (optical character recognition) scanning program for OS X. Any recommendations?

I'd rather not have to use OmniPage Pro inside of VPC. :p

Thank you!

2. BenRoethig macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

Readiris Pro. A copy came with my HP PSC2110. I don't know how it stacks up, but it's the only one I know of.

Iris Software

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is also a version of OmniPage Pro that works natively in Mac OS X. I received an OCR application with my Epson All-in-One called ABBYY FineReader 5 Sprint Plus.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As bousozoku stated above, OmniPage Pro is MacOS X-native. It is the standard of the industry. IIRC, OmniPage originated on the Mac.

5. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

Actually, the reason I phrased it the way i did was because I already have Omnipage Pro for Windows. Unfortunately it's version 10, so it's not current - otherwise I'd try to do a straight trade. But my intentions were purely platform neutral; no anti-Mac bias was intended. :D

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, just thinking about this thread, I tried ABBYY FineReader 5 Sprint Plus. It was fairly successful on what it could handle. :D Otherwise, it's a POS.

Funny though, the image of the box for the Windows version looks like they copied it directly from the OmniPage Pro box and turned it red. I suppose that could be the Xerox TextBridge box originally, since that's got the same engine as OmniPage Pro and one other product--all from ScanSoft.