Odd bug in my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Feb 24, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've noticed for the past several weeks that my MBP volume controls are wonky. Usually at home i have my volume increased to nearly maximum levels but when im at work, out of consideration for others i often mute my speakers.

However, i've noticed that when i mute i have to press the fn+mute button several times before OS X picks up and acts accordingly. I usually get confirmation that i have indeed executed a mute command i.e visual confirmation in the center of the screen BUT the speaker in the menu bar, as well as sound in OS X in general, fail to respond unless i repeat several times. Even sometimes requiring me to play a song in iTunes before OS X recognises that i'm trying to mute.

Any ideas what's going on?, I've repaired permissions and all that stuff but no dice.

2. sturigdson macrumors regular

you know, i sometimes have a very similar problem, where i press the volume control keys, get both the "blip" sound and the visual volume indicator on screen, but my menu-volume doesn't change, and neither does the actual played sound.

Strange. Anybody else have this problem?

A.

3. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I have the same thing on my PowerBook (second last revision). Most of the times when my PowerBook has been in screensaver mode for a while and I wake it and try to scale the volume down the on-screen indicator shows that the volume is going down but the 'beep' sounds are lagging behind. After a few seconds they sound.

So this is not just MBP related; I'd say it's probably OS X related which means it can be fixed :)

4. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

You don't need to press the fn key to mute your volume... just press the mute key.

5. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

You may be referring to the PowerBook mentioned above, but with the MBP, there is no mute button, only the mute function you get by pressing Function + F3.

6. Thi macrumors member

on my mbp c2d all i have to do is press F3 (mute button)

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Same here.

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

For those of you saying i don't need the fn key. Yes you don't if you've set your keyboard preferences to use F1-F12 keys to control software features to be un-ticked, making it un-necessary to use fn key for hardware features (Volume, Brightness etc). If you tick it however (which i have done), you NEED the fn key.