odd buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by seasponge, Aug 12, 2004.

1. seasponge macrumors newbie

i have a 12inch g4 ibook that is a few months old and since last night whenever i unplug speakers or headphones from the headphone jack the right builtin laptop speaker immediately and constantly emits a horrible buzzing sound at full volume. so now i have to keep something plugged into the headphone jack at all times. the sound is really bad and scary. i have looked all over the internet and messageboards to see if anyone else has had the same problem and it does not appear it be so. if anyone has any ideas or input i would gladly appreciate it. thanks

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Have you taken it to an Apple Store?
    Have you run any utilities like TechTool Pro or Drive 10?

These may give you a baseline indication of the overall health of the machine. If you are a few months into the warranty, I would get over to an Apple retail outfit and see what they can make of it.
    Causes: a few ranging from loose internal wires to board failures, to interference from video components. None really solve themselves, although they may come and go.

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Have you noticed any changes or has it gone away yet?

4. seasponge thread starter macrumors newbie

nope, i did not try tech tool or drive 10 because i do not have access to them. however, after updating to 10.3.5 upon reboot it did not do it for a few minutes but then began again. now its doing it constantly as always. it doesn't do it when its asleep.

5. waindog macrumors newbie

me too

Mine just started this buzzing noise too. Out of the speaker/out put. It doesn't do it all the time, but can only be stopped with a restart. Even then, it may just pop up buzzing again. I listen to and buy a lot of music online, and this buzzing is very annoying. I've had this 12" 867 PB since March 03, and I feel likes its been fading quality wise.

I expect better.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sounds exactly like my iBook G4 did when I got it back in November 2003. I just called Apple, and they replaced it much faster than I feared...

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Try zapping your PRAM... maybe its getting confused with some audio stuff. Worth a shot, and its free.

Command+Option+P+R while starting up. Wait for a few chimes ('bout 3) before letting go. You might loose your system date+time and a few minor settings, but its worth a shot to see what is going wrong.

waindog, did you get AppleCare? You would still be covered... and your laptop is 2 years old. Not saying that it should be doing that, but it is a long time.

8. waindog macrumors newbie

I ran the disk utility, and it hasn't done it since... we'll see. If it happens again I'll try resetting the PRAM.

Mechcozmo - I'm a longtime mac-user (since 85!) so I don't mean to sound like I'm permanently disappointed in the brand for this alone. When I first got thie PB, the battery life was 2.5-3 hours tops, even with all the settings lowered. I complained about it, even sent it back for tests, and they told me that's just the way it was. So, I had to rush between classes to recharge and other minor hassles, but I lived. This battery eventually stopped taking a charge, so I had to replace it. To me, replacing a battery every 2 yrs (even though this one last only 20 months) is not a big deal. Batteries have a shelf life, I understand that.
    The new battery got double the battery life of the original. I couldn't believe it. I had an all day seminar and the battery last 6 hours with only word running. So why did they lie to me the first time? I called about it, they had no explanation. Since then, the battery is now 2 months old and back to the 2.5-3 hour battery life maximum. My roommate has had the newer PB for 7 months now and gets a consistent 4 hours.
    They advertised 5 hours, but it only gets that as an overpriced paperweight, not at normal use. Shady.
    Again, I say--- I expect better.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That's interesting. My Rev. C gets about 5 hours per charge. It has no BT or AirPort, screen down to 1 bar, and the performance set to Max. Battery Life. Tricky to pull off, but it DOES last. I'd call Apple and complain-- those batteries sound defective. You DID calibrate them right, didn't you?

10. waindog macrumors newbie

c'mon

yes, I calibrated and I do so once a month like they say. The first one was definitely dead, wouldnt charge or hold a charge.

Back to the buzz. I found the problem, or at least my problem. I had changed the mail alert chime to one outside the list using the add/remove feature in mail prefs. If you saw that stupid movie "Eurotrip" it was an mp3 of the lead character's mail alert. It works fine for ical alerts, but it doesnt jive with mac mail. New mail created by buzz. I got rid of it and will have to experiment more to be able to customize my mail alerts.

User error?

mw