Odd Cram and Jam question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mulletman13, Jul 26, 2004.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey all...

Today I'm purchasing an ibook and an ipod-- to be eligible for the Cram and jam. Now herein lies the question: Can I send the rebate in-- sell the ibook (I want to buy a refurbed PB), and still get the money back? This seems like it would work, except for the fact that you need to write down the serial on the form-- which may suggest they compare name on coupon to the registered name on the laptop. Will this work, or will I be screwed over when they process the rebate?

Thanks in advance,

KC

2. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

usually with the promotions, they make you cut out the s/n from the apple box itself, so it has obviously been used for a promo.

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

You have to cut the Serial # and UPC off of both the iBook and iPod boxes, and mail them in. They may do some checking, however, it's perfectly legal for you to sell the iBook. You may want to wait until you get your rebate check before you sell it/pop the seal (so you can still sell it as new). It's not nearly as dishonest as some of the things people discuss doing :rolleyes:

I'd say: buy your iBook, wait 6-8 weeks, sell iBook, buy PB.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Technically you are not allowed to sell anything you purchase through the EDU store until one year after purchase. They don't check against the registration because you don't have to send it in. I haven't sent it in for my Powerbook/iPod combo and have no intention of doing so. You do have to send in the stuff from the box of course.

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I can't find where this is written. Could you direct me to this passage/document? Thanks! :)

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And not too mention you are limited to EDU CPU purchase per a year.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Hmmm... maybe it's not for EDU purchases. I've been looking at so many "legal" docs on Apple's site (I get bored) that I mixed it up. For the terms of the Apple Dev program you can't sell the machine for a year.

http://developer.apple.com/membership/pdf/terms.pdf

Page 7, item 6. Sorry 'bout that.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I would be surprised that Apple doesn't have that in the fine print somewhere for any discounted purchase.

9. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Yea I was looking to sell the ibook brand new, and I dont think I could wait 6-8 weeks until I used a laptop...

I guess the question is if Apple will check my name if it's registered with the serial.... however i've read up on the promo and it says absolutely nothing about registering the ibook to yourself. I talked to people at the Mayfair Apple store today and they said it would be all right to do... but then again they were questioning each other :(

But even if I did sell it, Apple says absolutely nothing in the Cram and Jam terms about this matter.... I followed the rules, I purchased both on the same reciept... so I guess it will work?

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

you might not have to wait very long for the rebate check. I got my $99 HP "impress for less" rebate check 6 days after I mailed the form and UPCs. it helps that I'm near chicago and the fulfilment center is in south bend, indiana, but still, less than a week is fast.

I got my Panther up-to-date discs similarly quickly.