Odd Display Problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by msbsound, Apr 5, 2004.

1. msbsound macrumors regular

Just recently upgraded a B/W G3 to Panther. System was great before the update, but now I am having one kind of major glitch.

The monitor(viewsonic N1700W LCD) does not see a signal upon startup. I can plug in a regular CRT and it is great, but no luck with the LCD. The really interesting thing is that if I boot up with the CRT then get past the log-in and switch to the LCD,it is fine. But if I were to restart the machine with the LCD still attached it would go blue and tell me "no signal present".

Like I said in Jaguar it was fine. We have updated to 10.3.3, and it is still the factory ATI 16meg card in the AGP slot. Is this a driver issue that was packaged in the upgrade?

All help is appreciated!

2. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

just a thought but did you get any software with the LCD? sometimes just like printers, monitors need to have themsleves recognized via a software or firmware update.

3. msbsound thread starter macrumors regular

Software

Checked the website and I am up to date. Inclosed software is mostly for calibration, unfortunatly, not of much use.

Thanks

4. neut macrumors 68000

neut

is this a digital or analog LCD (i assume analog with the old ATI card).

what if you boot without the CRT, then plug the LCD after boot? does the LCD have a usb hub? if so, what happens when you have a mouse plugged into it?

have you checked Panther compatibility with that card of yours? it should be fine... weird.

peace.

5. msbsound thread starter macrumors regular

Yup...it "should" work fine...heh

It is an analog display running at supported resolutions of both the display and the card. In theory I could hook up the LCD after boot up, but I can't get past the login screen without a monitor. It is an office machine with three users(nothing secure, just personal mail preferences), so I would like to avoid auto login, but in the end I guess that is a quick fix.

No USB hub though either, and I agree, very wierd. Everything obviously works together since it is fine once the machine is up, but booting does not like the display...

The mystery continues...

6. neut macrumors 68000

neut

time to get a second video card, eh?

good luck.

peace.

7. msbsound thread starter macrumors regular

I think you are correct

That was my thought. I hate the idea of spending money upgrading the machine since it is just email/word processing. ah well.

8. neut macrumors 68000

neut

you could always upgrade the processor and use it for something more demanding, thus justifying the 2nd monitor?

ok, maybe not.

peace.

9. lfraas macrumors newbie

Monitor display fuzzy in Panther

I too am trying to install Panther on B/W G3. I have an AOC LM720 monitor. When I put panther installer disks in and restart, the display boots up, but turns black and white, fuzzy, and "solarized." I can barely read the installer prompts so am hesitating to actually upgrade until I get an answer.

It is analog connection I believe.

Do I need an upgraded video card? (ATI, XCLAIMVRPro)