Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceharrin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Here is the deal - 2012 MB Pro 15in non-retina, 16gb 1tb ssd with about %40 free that I installed last year. Running latest update to macOS Sierra.

Last night laptop running fine, no issues. I get up this morning, wake from sleep - the laptop that is- and weirdness ensures.

Messages won't start; I have to force quit and then start it again and it comes up. Multiple apps on start up - Dropbox, Google drive, Open DNS amongst others no longer show up as icons in the task bar. Activity Monitor lists them but using no memory or cpu. If I go into Accounts | Startup Items and click the check box to not show the icons, then they show up when I re-login. Occasionally Activity Monitor won't even start. And Preferences just bounces at time. Again, force quit and restart. Multiple apps - mostly 3rd party - won't launch however the Apple apps do...mostly.

I ran disk sensei and reports no errors. Ran hardware diagnostics and all is well; no issues reported. All in all, the laptop seems to be ok I just have these weird issues and am unsure what is going on. I have not installed anything recently other than updates to apps from the app store.

I am considering a fresh install of sierra. I have always just upgraded and never had any issues and have been running sierra the day it came out (not beta). However I got years of stuff and while its all backed up via Time Machine, it still seems like a lot of work.

Any thoughts or suggestions? This is literally the first time in years with multiple Macs where I have had such issues and really not sure what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.