odd icon at startup

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by uhlawboi80, Mar 13, 2003.

1. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

after getting my powerbook back from apple care on startup a folder with a question mark on it which changes to a folder with the finder icon. This happens before the apple logo appears while the OS starts up. This never happened before sending it to them.

it takes longer to startup than before and now runs slightly slower and warmer than before, but other than that it seems fine. any thoughts?

Of course they replased a plastic clasp in the screen casing so why they felt the need to turn my computer on for any reason other than to simply make sure it started up the screen still is totally beyond me.

2. conceptdev macrumors regular

That means you have no disk selected as default start up disk - to fix please follow.

System Preferences
    Startup Disk
    Select your startup folder
    close the window and you will be prompted to save or click restart.

This issue shouldn't affect system performance - if the issue persists repost with details.

Good Luck.

3. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i went to the system preferences and apparently i didnt have a startup disk selected.

question is why my startup disk got deselected when sent to apple care. i cant see why they would have messed with system settings or the software at all

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

they probably boot from a cd that runs tests and clears options like that in case they are imparing your computer from working. If you think about it if they reset the computer completley or repalce a major part they need to reset firmware and all that good stuff. If you machine boots into os 9 ever you have to select this option for switchign startup disk neway.

5. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i would understand if the replaced the screen or another major component...but here they just replace a clasp in the screen CASING. to me it seems that that would not require tampering with the software or firmware.

oh well, who knows what they did, it seems ok now.

6. MacViolinist macrumors regular

startup disk issue

They probably zapped the PRAM as a matter of policy. I would.

7. boskie macrumors regular

Nearly the truth!!

Like the sig, but afraid it ain't so...;)

8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You're all close but what they did was startup off an external drive to test the hardware and to verify there weren't other problems. In doing so they selected the exernal drive as the boot drive. Now that he has the computer back on startup the computer doesn't see the external drive so therefore after a short while defaults to the first available boot drive.

10. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Yup, MacBandit to the rescue!

That's exacctly what they did. I think it is a matter of policy that they start off of a clean OS on an external HD, so that none of your files get accidentally zapped.

Regards,
    Gus