Odd iMessage Bug Truncates Last Word of Certain Text Phrases

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As noted by The Verge, a strange iMessage bug is causing the final word of certain phrases sent via Messages to an iPhone to be invisible to both the message sender and the recipient.

When the following two phrases are sent using iMessage, the last word is not displayed on the iPhone:

- I could be the next Obama (with a space after Obama)
    - The best prize is a surprise

[​IMG]
    Both messages look complete when they are being composed, and the full text shows up in notifications, but within the Messages app itself, the words Obama and surprise are both invisible. Copying and pasting the message displays the original text.

Many Twitter users have been able to confirm the problem, which only appears to affect the iPhone.

The bug was first noticed back in December and posted on the Apple Support forums. It appears that additional phrases trigger the truncation as well, though it is unclear what is causing the issue.

Update: As noted on the MacRumors forums, the issue appears to be related to character width. From Arian19:
    Article Link: Odd iMessage Bug Truncates Last Word of Certain Text Phrases

2. macrumors 65816

treyjustice

3. macrumors 6502

Rudy69

If I had to take a guess I would say it's a small bug that the bubble isn't wide enough and Obama gets wrapped to the next line (and you can't see it)

Source: I'm a developer and I've worked on an app where we had chat bubbles like that and I had a bug where the bubble size wasn't calculated properly and it ended up a bit like that

4. FSMBP, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Uhh...that didn't work for me and my friend now thinks I'm crazy.

Edit: Got it to work. I needed to put a space after "surprise" even though the directions only specified that only needed to be done with after the "Obama" phrase:

When the following two phrases are sent using iMessage, the last word is not displayed on the iPhone:

- I could be the next Obama (with a space after Obama)
    - The best prize is a surprise

5. macrumors newbie

It's a bug on the NSA servers which reads everything we send. Apparently some flagged words are getting removed from the messages. Big brother strikes again!

6. macrumors 6502

7. lolkthxbai, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Didn't work for me neither

EDIT: I forgot to add a space, nvm. It works(broken)

8. macrumors 68020

Solomani

Theory: Apple does not like Obama. And the company doesn't like surprises either.

I kid, I kid! :D

9. macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Just tried it, both sentences cut it off like described

10. macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

That's so strange and my "nerd alert" message of the day to my wife. Great.

11. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

Ok this explains why some of my text convos between my gf and I have been getting messed up

12. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

Did the message go as an iMessage or a sms?

13. macrumors 6502a

14. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

iMessage. Does there need to be a space after "surprise"? As the directions only specified to have a space after Obama, I didn't include one after "surprise".

15. macrumors regular

Sensationalist story. Count the characters, the issue occurs on any sentence with 26 characters

16. macrumors 68000

Works fine for me. Sent both via imessage from my mac and iphone 5 to another iPhone 5.

17. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

For someone who runs software projects, these bugs are almost impossible to find in testing. Takes real world users to find weird things like this.

18. macrumors 6502

Like the fact that it comes out as you calling her by another woman's name...who happens to be her sister...and messed up by sending pictures of your 'surprise'?

19. macrumors newbie

Spam filtering

This is probably bad spam filtering, maybe from auto-generated spam rules. Don't those phrases look like something you'd get in spam emails??

20. macrumors regular

Due to the politically-charged nature of this thread...

21. macrumors 65816

autrefois

"The best prize is a surprise" (w/o the quotes) is 28 characters. For me I can't reproduce the glitch on my iPhone's iMessage or on my Mac's Messages, whether by typing it or pasting it in. Weird.

I'm using iOS 6.1.3 on an iPhone 4. I wouldn't see why phone model would play into it though, but my iOS is in French though.

This makes sense, but wouldn't completely explain why it's not working for some of us (or is working, depending on your perspective)

22. macrumors 6502a

Except that "The best prize is a surprise" has 28.

23. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

It worked when I put a space at the end.

24. macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

25. macrumors 6502