Odd Mac-only Wireless Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigpumbaa, Nov 1, 2006.

1. bigpumbaa macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have a wireless network setup with a Linksys WRT54G v5. It's worked with my Macs until today. For some reason, any Mac (I've tried three different ones) that tries to connect to the wireless network connects, but is not given an IP address. Everything else connected to the router (both wireless and wired) works. In fact, when I use BootCamp to boot into Windows, it detects the wireless network... but all the Macs say the same thing about Airport "not having an IP address."

I'm connected to the networks with WEP security, and all Macs worked yesterday like a charm... now, not so much. Recent changes have been some software updates from Apple, and the inclusion of a Powerbook G4... but that's about it. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just tried plugging in an ethernet cable from the router to my notebook and the same thing came up. The computer was not able to assign an IP address to itself.

2. Dubba macrumors regular

Interestingly, I had a similar problem with a Linksys router in a friends office last week. It worked fine daily for the last 7 weeks, and then all of a sudden cut out last Thursday, and I have not been able to get it to work again.

For what it is worth, I have a NetGear at home and at my office, and I have NEVER had a an issue. Go figure...

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Obvious...have you tried unplugging/replugging the router?

4. Dubba macrumors regular

I even reset it to factory settings and re-input all the PPPoA settings, etc. but no change! :-(

Better luck bigpumbaa?

5. bigpumbaa thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've unplugged and reset the router a couple of times now. I'm thinking I may have to completely reset it (default settings) and see if that helps. Odd problem eh?