Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
NSInternalInconsistencyException

Hopefully this helps someone.

Attachments

• 1PasswordScreenSnapz001.jpg
    1PasswordScreenSnapz001.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 97

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
That means it's probably a bug in a proprietary Apple layer. I don't believe Terminal uses Apple tech for its text rendering (besides the usual Quartz layer for drawing...).

Huh. I did not know that. Thank for the info ConCat!

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Mountain Lion = Vista 2012

This might have something to do with the strange kernel panics I'm getting when downloading really big updates in the App store. I had to get a new verson of XCode last week. I made several attempts, but it always results in a spontaneous reboot somewhere in the middle of the process... sometimes only after most of the download has completed.

Arrrrgghhh! I hate Mountain Lion.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Well, truly malicious malware might be able to use this to cause your apps to repetitively crash. Especially given how trivial it is to automate text entry on a Mac using simple AppleScript commands.

Oh come on. If malicious malware can enter text on your machine using AppleScript commands, then your machine is already owned by some hacker, and crashing applications are the least of your worries.

That means it's probably a bug in a proprietary Apple layer. I don't believe Terminal uses Apple tech for its text rendering (besides the usual Quartz layer for drawing...).

The exact reason for the bug is clearly visible in the crash report in the article. Some code does a safety check that what is supposed to be a file url starts with "file://" - and it doesn't.

This might have something to do with the strange kernel panics I'm getting when downloading really big updates in the App store.

Nothing to do with this whatsoever. Since you were downloading Xcode, you should read up on what happens when an NSException isn't caught. Hint: It doesn't create a kernel panic.

Last edited:

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Mountain Lion = Vista 2012

This might have something to do with the strange kernel panics I'm getting when downloading really big updates in the App store. I had to get a new verson of XCode last week. I made several attempts, but it always results in a spontaneous reboot somewhere in the middle of the process... sometimes only after most of the download has completed.

Arrrrgghhh! I hate Mountain Lion.

I don't think that's related to this.

f0rdness

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Heh. Wonder if it effects any other versions of OS X.

Doing it in Safari on Snow Leopard just causes it to minimise the window... **edit** and brings up finder with the root of the HDD, odd never new that one before.

However:

iChat

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-04 at 15.51.26.png
    Screen shot 2013-02-04 at 15.51.26.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Oh come on. If malicious malware can enter text on your machine using AppleScript commands, then your machine is already owned by some hacker, and crashing applications are the least of your worries.

Your machine doesn't have to be "owned" by a hacker to automate AppleScript commands. Care to download a piece of software from me as an example? (I jest)

dumoon

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Note to self... Do not type File:///. Oh wait....never have and never will.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Exactly, haven't typed 'File://' into anything for 60 years until this post and probably won't have too until I die.

Definitely worried....................NOT!!!
I have to agree. I haven't typed that in anything for a very long time. Sure this is a bad bug. But it's not going to hassle the average user. As they simply don't do this.

sgt-spam

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
So I tested this by iMessaging myself the text from iPhone.
iMessage on Mac crashed right away, and then crashed again when I clicked re-open.

Again, and again, and again, and again. Deleting the texts from iPhone doesn't stop the crashing on Mac.

:apple:

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I'm going to go ahead and guess that this will affect 0.00001% of all humans on this earth. Just my guess though.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Help me understand this but WHY exactly would anyone want to do this? I surf the internet, study, play games and do pretty much everything else on my Mac but type File://....

*squeaaak*!

EDIT: Okay I take my words back.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I crashed a friend's Messages app by sending File:/// to him using my iPad a few days ago.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
LOL, only in the OS X world would people be excited over a bug that crashes everything. On anything else, people would be furious and be demanding for an update.

And no, it doesn't work in Terminal.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Your machine doesn't have to be "owned" by a hacker to automate AppleScript commands. Care to download a piece of software from me as an example? (I jest)

If I download malicious software from you (also known as a "Trojan") that can send AppleScript to type text into an app to crash it, then the same software can very easily send AppleScript to the Finder to delete all my documents, or send AppleScript to Mail to mail my documents to some server, and so on. One thing it can do is to send a "Quit" command to each running application via AppleScript. The insecure operation is downloading untrusted software.

LOL, only in the OS X world would people be excited over a bug that crashes everything. On anything else, people would be furious and be demanding for an update.

"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I stab my eye with a spoon".
"Don't do it then. ".

This hasn't crashed any Mac except those who read the article and had to try it out.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Let's hope that Apple servers ain't running Mac OS X or else Apple is going to crash with the crash logs :D

Exactly how would this crash an Apple server? Apple servers don't use a GUI to interact with the outside world, therefore no NSTextField. Noobs love to speak without knowing anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.